Group44 XJR5 Chassis #012/ GT40 is next!

It was the summer of 1996 and I was finishing my 8th year in Formula 2000 racing with the SCCA. I had purchased an ERA Cobra in 1995 and really wanted a GT40. As the year at the track was coming to an end I was seriously considering an ERA GT40 when I came across a parts project that caught my attention. The ad in Hemmings said "XJR5 parts"(IMSA-GTP car)- no chassis. I had been an avid Group 44 fan and had a chance to tour the race shop in Winchester when we were racing in Virginia. The Group 44 team was a team that was extremely fan friendly and very familiar with winning. The cars that they would prepare and bring to the track were a work of art and very beutiful. So as I wrestled with which project to go with first there was no doubt that I really would like to end up doing both cars. The projected time frame for an XJR5 was to be 5-7 years to complete. A GT40 was probably a long term project for me as well, not sure exactly how long but long nonetheless. I looked at the parts that the gentleman in Ohio had for sale for the Jaguar and then proceeded to the Group 44 shops in Winchester to pitch them on the idea of building one more chassis. By this time (October 1996) Group 44 was doing restorations of exotic cars, racing cars and some airplane work as Bob Tullius (Group 44 Team Principle) was becoming more interested in his P51 and not so much into racing cars anymore. There had been 10 cars (Jaguar XJR5's) built while they raced the IMSA GTP series in the early to late 80's. An 11th car was assembled from the spare parts in 1990 for Mr Walter Hill, a Jaguar collector in Florida. So this would be the 12th car if we could get Group 44 to do it. I worked for several weeks over the phone with Lanky Foushee, the Team Manager and General Manager of Group 44. In the end he called me and said "OK we'll do it for you". I wasn't sure whether to be happy or sad as I knew I could not do a GT40 until after the XJR5. However I did not wait long to say to Lanky "Allright lets do it"! I then went back to Winchester to pay Group 44 the downpayment to get started. Lanky agreed to chassis tag the car in order. Hence Jaguar XJR5 # 012 was born. As I moved forward from that day I would work on obtaining items like shocks, fuel cell, calipers, on board air-jacks and all kinds of other things that would be needed while Group 44 was building the chassis. The time as I mentioned earlier was supposed to be 5-7 years for a complete car. This was effectively the last job that Group 44 did, and just one man was to work on this tub. Sam Headley. Sam had been with Group 44 for a long time, through all of the GTP days. He went to LeMans in 84 and 85 with Group 44. He really loved those days as I would find out over the next several years as I got to know Sam. Unfortunetely we (Lanky, Sam and I) underestimated what it would take and how long for this GTP car to be completed. I sell cars for a living and would be the only regular guy to end up with a car like this. It has been almost 12 years since I started this project. I have never stopped wanting to do a GT40. And I will get to that project as well. I have enjoyed reading all of the different build diaries on GT40s.com and it has just fueled my fire to have a GT40 in the garage along with the ERA and the XJR5. I am a little jelous (kidding) of some of the build threads I read because a car from RCR, ERA, CAV ect. comes with all (or most) of the parts and probably some build manuals as well. I have had to dig through parts listings and call all over for different pieces needed to keep this project going. I have already picked a GT40 to do and will hopefully get started later this year. But before I can do that I need to finish what I started almost 12 years ago. All the build threads and stories from all you guys at GT40s.com has fueled my fire for a GT40 and pushed me to finish this project now.
At this time the car is a roller. The body has been painted and fit to the car. The engine (6.5L V-12), short block is done and the head work is going on now. I hope to have the car at the Vintage races at Watkins Glen this year.
I will continue to update this thread (if GT40s.com allows ) if anyone is interested and hope to continue to be inspired by all of you guys here on this forum. Thanks very much !!!

Mike
[email protected]

Jag XJR5 Chassis 012

I am new at this type of thing and can't seen to get the pictures to load. If you click on the above link there are some shots of the car in the later stages of the build. I will try to get some others up from earlier stages.

Mike,
That is very cool. Not what you expect in someones driveway. Keep us posted, I love to see different projects and we are always wondering what else to get into.

We should have something that interests you at the Syracuse Nationals this summer. A quick teaser picture:

2008212224047_3.jpg

Thanks
Love the colors on that GT40 !! I will keep you posted !!
I will be at the Syracuse Nationals as well .....Look forward to seeing what you have there !!
Mike

Mike
I just caught your thread and it brought back good memories. I was a Crew Chief on a Lola T 600 that was next to those cars many times on the grid. Group 44's preparation was always spectacular. I was so surprised there were that many cars built. The first time I saw one was at Elkhart in probably 1982 or 3. That might have been there debut. That 12 always added to the IMSA Show. Good stuff buddy. Was good friends with one of Tulius's guys, Grant. He wasn't still there was he?
I'll be watching.
Chris
GT Reproductions

Chris
Love the Lola T-600 ....That car was the car that changed everything really ....all were prototypes after that....I do not know Grant, but when I was working with Group 44 to do the chassis for me, they were winding down. Lanky wanted to retire and there were only a few guys left at Group 44. You are right, there were quite a few chassis for that type of project. Group 44 had originally wanted to sell cars like March but not as high volume and be able to have different engine and transaxle options ...there was not enough interest. But by this time the chassis's were already done...(Fab Car had done some of the tubs for Group 44 as well....not sure which chassis numbers)....but that is why there were so many. Later when the XJR7 was done, Group 44 only built 5. I will keep you posted !!

Simon
Sometimes I think dumb (out of dumbstruck) covers this deal.....not really but it has been a long road for sure !! I will keep you posted as well !!!
Thanks for your interest !!!

Mike

Re: Group44 XJR5 Chassis #012

Thanks Steve
I will post new pictures soon...
Progress is going well. Painted body is re-mounted to chassis, wiring is complete, pluming underway. Will be at Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance in March....
Mike

Lanky and Group 44 body man John Lyster, built me a L-88 427 powered 66 Cobra replica back in the early 90's at the race shop in Winchester. Lankey and John where toying with the idea of getting into the Cobra replica business. Lankey had just finished restoring a Bird Cage Maserati the would be featured in Road And Track Magazine.

Last edited:
Hey Mike,

Sorry we didnt make it down to Amelia, it was too long of a haul from Toronto to Florida and then back again for a one day event. We will be at the MITTY, hope to see you there.
Steve

Hey Steve
The trip to Amelia Island was really long from Syracuse as well. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you there. My car is not ready for The Mitty....will be ready for The Zippo at Watkins Glen in september. Hope to see you there.
Fran
Thanks for the nice comments ...it means a lot to me....especially knowing the quality of product you put out of your shop !
Dom
I am in need of help to get pictures posted, but I will get some shots of the car up soon.

Mike

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Pics from Mike:

These pictures were taken in early 07 as we picked up the car from Lanky's house and brought it to West Virginia, where one of the guys that used to work for Group44 has a shop and he was who I wanted to have do the paint.

Picture%201-11%20%20Grp%2044%20021.jpg

Picture%201-11%20%20Grp%2044%20033.jpg

Picture%201-11%20%20Grp%2044%20038.jpg

Picture%201-11%20%20Grp%2044%20040.jpg

Last edited:

Chris Kouba

Supporter
More...

These pictures (taken in spring of 07) are of the car back in my shop after Larry Haun (painter) fit the body and began the paint process. He ran into some cracks that kept coming back in the doors (the doors were off of one of the LeMans cars) and the cockpit cover. So we went and picked up the rolling chassis, nose and tail and he continued to work on the rest of the panels. The car would have to go back to Lanky's for re-assemble.

Picture%201-11%20%20Grp%2044%20ERA%20Z28%2094%20Vette%20260.jpg

Picture%201-11%20%20Grp%2044%20ERA%20Z28%2094%20Vette%20264.jpg

Picture%201-11%20%20Grp%2044%20ERA%20Z28%2094%20Vette%20268.jpg

Picture%201-11%20%20Grp%2044%20ERA%20Z28%2094%20Vette%20279.jpg

Picture%201-11%20%20Grp%2044%20ERA%20Z28%2094%20Vette%20285.jpg

Last edited:

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Cnt'd...

After the paint was under way ...we ran into some delays for various reasons (not on my end)...but as you know these things can happen...anyway the engine was supposed to be done next and the rest of the body finished and brought to Lanky's in NC. Here are a few shots of the engine in pieces....

Picture%201-11%20%20Grp%2044%20ERA%20Z28%2094%20Vette%20297.jpg

Picture%201-11%20%20Grp%2044%20ERA%20Z28%2094%20Vette%20298.jpg

Picture%201-11%20%20Grp%2044%20ERA%20Z28%2094%20Vette%20300.jpg

Picture%201-11%20%20Grp%2044%20ERA%20Z28%2094%20Vette%20302.jpg

Chris Kouba

Supporter
And finally...

We fast forward after some frustrating months/years to september 08. I met Bill Warner in Watkins Glen NY....he has Group44's TR8 that he vintage races. He knew about my car and invited me to the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance that was to take place in March 09. Bill is the founder of this event. Lanky was with Bill that day and promised to do what it took to get the car ready (viewer ready ..still was not to be running) and so these pictures are of us picking the car up from Lanky's (again) to come back to Syracuse for us to do the electrical, hydraulics, chassis set up , decals, fit-finish etc...

XJR5%20%23012%20trip%20home%2012-08%20013.jpg

XJR5%20%23012%20trip%20home%2012-08%20014.jpg

XJR5%20%23012%20trip%20home%2012-08%20022.jpg

XJR5%20%23012%20trip%20home%2012-08%20043.jpg

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Those are all which Mike sent me. I have had issues before with visibility to hosted pics on my Picasa site so if you're having trouble viewing what should be linked, click on the album link and peruse:

XJR5-12 Photo Album

Back