Gt 40 First drive

Went for the first legal drive today. Was pretty eventful. I had a co-pilot to help with the SDS adjustments. We thought we were doing OK until it died on the side of the road. I got the car going again when we came to the conclusion that one of the gas tanks was empty. Got going again just to run the other one dry a few miles down the road.( The fuel gauge did not read correctly) Then called for assistance and got more fuel. Still would not start. Finally decided to open the return side of the fuel rail to bleed out air and the fuel pump started pumping fuel again and we were off again. Gassed up both tanks and were off again just to hear the clutch release bearing squeeling again. (Already changed one out and checked the clearance).The engine seemed to run poorly on the way back and was popping thru the throttle stackes so bad that 2 of the screens blew off.As I said before, One step forward and 10 back.I do believe the fuel injection will ultimately be the way to go, but I am tempted to just take it all off and go to the old simple ways of carburation. Well now it time to take it apart again and try once more. Other than all that I cannot wait until all the kinks are out and can just drive. The attention this GT was getting was unreal.

Attachments

• 54458-DSCF0001.jpg
    54458-DSCF0001.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 354
Sounds like fouled plug/s.
Probably from all the mucking around with the fuel problem or just way too rich somewhere.

Tim.

I also believe that EFI is the ultimate. I have been amazed; however, at how well my Race Demon carb has been doing. I can start the car in any weather (35 degrees up) with NO choke by pressing the throttle once. If will fire in ~ 2 revolutions of the motor and run like hell. It is great. Throttle response is always good, etc. Unbelievable for a carb.

Denis,

Get in touch with Wayne Presley. He's the SDS guru!

Wayne "cured" an SDS equipped Cobra for a friend of mine in

less than a hour, after my buddy wasted almost a year

trying to tune it on his own.

Bill

I feel your pain! On my first drive the slave cylinder blew out(in town!} and then to add insult to injury it puked out all its coolant, I had to limp home about a mile at a time, stopping to let it cool, then shifting my brand new RBT with no clutch. Even so people loved it!

Thanx for the support.The forum has been a great source of help thru this build. Bill, how do I contact Wayne? I think I need someone like that at this point.

It appears as though the clutch slave cylinder is the problem with the release bearing. It is stuck partially out. I am going to spend the afternoon removing the transaxle an inspect the clutch. Hopefully a new slave cylinder and bearing will cure the problem.

Charlie M

Supporter
Congratulations Denis. Even with a couple of problems left, to get to where you are is a huge deal. The weather isn't that great yet anyway, you'll have it sorted out by the time the nice weather gets here (which won't be soon enough).

Charlie

Its all apart now and it looks as though I need to have a sleeve made longer to go on the transaxle. I think the bearing is getting cocked a little and does not return correctly.

Hmmm, maybe the problem is with the master cylinder... The travel/diameter may be driving the slave further out than it needs to go. You may need to add a stop to the pedal or change the piston diameter for a smaller one. Another possibility is that there is too much dead travel on the slave cylinder before it does any work. Just my 2 cents, good luck !
Tony.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Denis,

Can you send me pics of your pedal tray and clutch slave setup? It can get pretty tricky with the geometry until you see it laid out properly. Anything I can do in advice (no charge), be glad to help out. email to [email protected]

Cheers

I am using the renault un1 with a Tilton master cylinder. I had a bushing made for the clutch release bearing that I believe was too short.I now have a new one that will cover the total travel of the bearing.I am also planning to monitor the pedal travel and adjust the stop accordingly.I will do it this weekend.As for photos, The transaxle and slave cyl. are currently out. Photos now would not be much help.Again, Thanx for all the help.

Denis,
I had my EFI maps set up with the engine on a dyno. It was very easy to understand how difficult this would be doing on the street as the engine would "strain" at being held at 3K, 4K, 5K, or whatever rpm, as the throttle was slowly opened to WOT. The engine loads/rpms could be controlled MUCH easier by a dyno than trying to do it in the car..and on the street.

I had a TPS fail last summer and couldn't get the new one to calibrate the same as the old one. The car ranged from not running at all to so poorly, it was undrivable. We did manage to get things tuned back in. The basic map 'curves' didn't change, only where on the curve each TPS point was. The only way to load the engine to anywhere near 1/2 or more throttle and maintain rpm for a given rpm band, was to use LOTS of brake. The ECU data logging feature helped immensily. An O2 sensor is manditory.

The money you would spend to put the car on a chassis dyno would be well spent IMHO. Safer, easier on the car, and did I mention...safer? A lot less frustrating too!

I love my EFI. Starts in 30 degree temperatures..no problem. Don't even have to touch the throttle. Throttle response is excellent. Fuel mileage for a 351 C isn't bad. I've never did a all-on economy run, but I have been as high as 17 mpg before.
Spitting back through the intake when giving it throttle is usually a sign of being lean. I don't know all the features of your ECU, but concentrate on the steady state fuel curves first with the engine up to operating temp. One you get that pretty close, then mess with the "fuel pump" additions (to make transient throttle movements smooth), engine and air temp trims, cold start (and warm start) calibrations, etc. There is a ton of them (in the E6K I use), and I'm still messing with the ones that vary fuel for varied air temps since I've been driving the car in 30 degree weather as well as 90 degree weather.

I had my bout of fuel supply woes last year. They have been solved with no more problems. There is NO substitute for finding weak points like racing the car or simply putting road miles on it. I put over 13K on mine last year and seemingly, hopefully, most of the problems have been sorted.

Best of luck!!

Wayne has been here and has done his magic! With a total of about 2 hours time the GT goes like H@&!!I still have a leak in the transaxle but the clutch throw out bearing problem seems to be cured.Shake down miles now. Yee Haa!!

The transaxle seems to need a seal to stop the leaking thru the pilot shaft tube. Does anybody know a source in the US for the Reneault trans?

Back