GT-40 gulf colors

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum I was directed here from Club Cobra as a source for color codes. I have an ERA FIA car on order & have been trying to do some research on paint colors for it while I wait. One set of colors that I am interested in are the Gulf Oil colors that were on the GT40's. Can any of you give me the information on getting the correct colors from one of my local paint houses here in Southern california?

Thanks in advance!

G

Hello Hyde,
Everyone and their dog will probably have something to say about this colourfull subject but as an official Gulf sponsored driver i can give you some pretty accurate information.
One thing first that you and everyone else must remember is that way back in the late sixties and seventies cellulose paint was the norm and most teams, and especially JWA, were very weight conscious.Incredibly thinned lightweight coats of paint were applied and this helps explain why in various lights both 40s and 917s can seem to vary in shade intensity. Subsequent resprays have increased paint thickness and most have ended up with more durable 2 pack overcoats!
The true light blue and orange colours were from the old Triumph Motors range and were called Powder Blue and Marigold and were supplied by the old Berger paint company. Gulf have fully approved and requested my LMK Porsche 917 be sprayed in those colours to match the 40 so you cannot question that order can you!
I hope that clarifies things for you.
Regards,
Graham @ GTA Racing.

that sounds good. If I give a paint shop a copy of this post are they going to say no problem, We can do that? Or will they look at me blankly & blinky?

I think what you need is the paint codes. Bill Bauman of the Porsche Club painted his vintage 911 w/Gulf colors that he researched. He even put "Michael Delany" on the drivers door. Anyway - I need to give you his e-mail so you can contact him. I will look for it tomorrow.

Back