GT 40 reunion at Watkins...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Who on the forum was at the 1989 GT 40 reunion at Watkins Glen in 1989? I was there with Safir car P1116, white with blue center stripe.

This was real once in lifetime event, great turnout, perfect weather and a very open atmosphere amoungst the particpants ands spectators. Share your menories and stories?

Rick

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
J-6,

I have the video of the car during the pit stop with Carroll Smith yelling at the crew and Livanos generally standing around and looking rich!

You should see them wail on the knock-offs with a BF'n hammer!

Let me know if you want a copy.

Rick

P.S. I too, wopuld have a Mk IV were it not for that sticky issue of money....
cool.gif

I'd love a copy! I'll email you tomorrow with my address. One day hopefully we'll all get together and I'll give you a ride. Believe me I realize how lucky I am to be able to afford something like J6.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
...Guess I must have been the only person there! Sure seemed like there was a lot of others with cars. Must be my increasingly defective memory.

Rick
grin.gif

Well, to say the least; your a lucky guy !
I´ll hate my self for the rest of my life, for not attending the reunion
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I wasn't but my car J6 was. At the time it was owned by Peter Lavonos. It was driven there by Serling Moss and Bob Bonderant but DNF'ed due to gearbox problems. It was painted as a clone of it's sister car J5. I've since restored it to it's proper colors.
(see photo in my profile)

[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
J-6

Try me at [email protected]. Never ridden in a Mark IV (BTW, my moniker comes from my previous job importing AC Mk IVs, not GTs) Been in Mk I and Safirs, but no J chassis. Had the chance to buy either J 11 or 12 from Autokraft in 1985 but even then the price was out of my league. I am having a couple of copies of the tape made as my extra VCR went south and I can't dupe it in house. I owe one to a forum member that oredered it a while ago and probably thinks I stiffed them. Don't have the name handy but I do have it on file and will send the tape out shortly.

Rick
smile.gif

I was at the 30th reunion with George Stauffer, and the poor guy had engine trouble with two of the cars he brought, 1046 and J4. His daughter was there with a guy she was dating, and as we had the engine all apart all layed out on a table, the guy backed into the table and knocked it over with all the engine parts (individual header pipes,valve springs, push rods etc.)falling into the dirt. This was right before the race, and George did not field a car. Bob Bondurant had to sit the race out and there was an empty spot on the grid. Brian Redman ended up winning in 1021. It was a heated race. George had pretty much organized the event, and it was a shame he did not get to run his cars, but he took it like a man and really did not get mad, but boy, the look on his face when that table fell over.
By the way, I have an AC mk iv lightweight, the 427 kind with the sc type body. I love it. I wish the saac registry was not so down on those cars. I need a rear wheel (9.5" halibrand style)if anybody knows of a spare someplace.

Try Trigo wheels or PS Engineering.

Their pin drive Halibrand styled wheels
are pretty darn beautiful.

Ian

Back