GT-R

I outright hate the new GT :(

Everything about it. There is not one aspect about this car that i like. Not even the interior.

Its a COMPLETE departure from the original design. I thought the new GT would be an evolution of the 2005 GT and was rather looking forward to it. A new re-imagination much like what the 2005 GT in itself was, and the new mustangs are. You can clearly see the design evolution from the original GT40 to the 2005 GT and from the classic mustangs to the 2005 mustang, to today's mustang. This new GT is a "GT" in name only and has absolutely nothing to do with its predecessors. They might was well have called it something else. Ironically, had it not had the GT name on it, i would have loved it. And that just brings me to the design, dont put a ford badge on it and you wouldnt think its a GT.

The new GT while wild, futuristic and looks awesome, looks a tad generic to me. The 2005 GT became a instant classic, one of a kind, because it went against the styling grain of the supercars of the time. The new GT conforms with the style of this time. I can see people getting it very easily confused with a Mclaren or Ferrari. Its lost its character in other words, its individuality. And I think it'll look dated really quickly.

And the biggest problem i have with it is the engine. No doubt it'll be an awesome power plant, probably better than the V8 in almost all ways. Definitely in its fuel consumption. But it will never sound the same. And because of that, i reckon it wont feel the same.

They went the wrong way completely in every direction with this new "GT" in my opinion.

I recon that the popularity of Fran's GT-R will get a big boost now that they revealed the new GT.

trainn.jpg

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I'm curious what those that think the new GT should have continued the homage to the original, think the new car should have looked like? The 2005 GT is not as beautiful as the original. It became bloated and its lines less sinuous. I'm would guess crash safety regulations and cabin design parameters causes most modern supercars to start to look alike. I don't know about it becoming dated in appearance. There are aspects about the design I would have liked done differently but I bet those of us who are not entirely impressed seeing it in pictures would appreciate it a lot more in the flesh. I think the 2005 GT looks like a bloated pig in pictures but have to admit when I see one in the flesh, they are nice looking machines. I am looking forward to seeing a GT-R. I bet in race trim they will look outstanding.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Back ! back I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Car_40_GT2_D_Murry_D_Robertson_A_Robertson_Doran_Ford_GT_R_Robertson_Racing_2A4252.jpg
    Car_40_GT2_D_Murry_D_Robertson_A_Robertson_Doran_Ford_GT_R_Robertson_Racing_2A4252.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 370
1454651_10152875820659902_5178360247991963206_n.jpg
While we await more pics/info from those that are leading the way fourth for Fran's GT-R..... to those who don't like the new Ford GT and/or don't think it looks anything like either of the old ones, let me just try and convince you a little more....

Still don't like it?!

Wow Ben, and I'm saying this as a lover of old/vintage cars. Love it in race livery! I think this and the Mustang have been successful design exercises in moving away from straight retro themes and move to the future with a heavy foot still stuck in the personality and roots of the originals. I say kudos to both Ford designs.

Saying this, I have little since of regret in going the route of GT-R. I think the new GT will have to wait until my kids are (not driving entities in it) out of my residence.

Wow Ben, and I'm saying this as a lover of old/vintage cars. Love it in race livery! I think this and the Mustang have been successful design exercises in moving away from straight retro themes and move to the future with a heavy foot still stuck in the personality and roots of the originals. I say kudos to both Ford designs.

Saying this, I have little since of regret in going the route of GT-R. I think the new GT will have to wait until my kids are (not driving entities in it) out of my residence.

Yeah, I'll admit, I wasn't 'fond' of the new Ford GT either, I didn't think it was bad looking, it just didn't do much for me as a new supercar or a 2005 Ford GT replacement, but looking like that? With those wheels? The lip at the rear? It's achingly beautiful.

As for your GT-R I don't think you could go wrong mate! It's going to be an astonishing car I am VERY excited to see what you have in store for us if you would be obliging!

Nope, not even close for me :(

Looks like some bell end painted up his Ferraroghini to resemble a Ford GT.

That aint a Ford GT. I dont care what Ford says.

While we await more pics/info from those that are leading the way fourth for Fran's GT-R..... to those who don't like the new Ford GT and/or don't think it looks anything like either of the old ones, let me just try and convince you a little more....

View attachment 76811

Still don't like it?!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

So the GT MK IV is not a "Ford GT" because it does not look like a "GT40"?

People, by this interpretation the current cars Ferrari builds are not "Ferraris" because they do not look like the first Ferrari 166!

Please face it, we will never get another "GT40/GT40 homage" from Ford. Would you rather Ford NEVER made another high end supercar?

I can see some similarity's, but why would you not want the latest technology that's available be used? Ford has done a magnificent job. If I had the cash, one would be in my driveway.
Cheers, Gus.

Hi John-When I ordered my GT_R #7 I was going to use a tunnel port 427 FE block that I have and Fran said it was no problem-That being said I would think you would not have an issue. I have since changed to a blown coyote.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
If I had the cash, one (new Ford GT) would be in my driveway.

I'm afraid buying one will not prove to be anywhere near that simple. Having the "cash" is just where the whole process starts.

The way things are shaking out, it appears as though it'll be easier to be a 1st time 'new Ferrari' buyer...if you see what I'm getting at.

I'm beginning to be of the mind that Ford now wants to beat Ferrari in that arena, too.

'Sorry for adding to the drift... :bash:

Fran: Do you have any idea at all what the GT-R's aero will allow as far as its top speed is concerned (assuming the HP needed to achieve it is there)?

It's funny as I'm kind of the opposite. I like the original GT40 and it looks classic, but to me it also looks dated. It doesn't look like a modern car but like one from the 60's.

I'm not in love with the new GT from all angles, but it certainly has appeal. The race mock up looks great.

Fran: Do you have any idea at all what the GT-R's aero will allow as far as its top speed is concerned (assuming the HP needed to achieve it is there)?
I think the sky's the limit here. As you may know, PPR's FGT hit a record 283 mph in the mile a few year's back. Fran's GTR is wider so larger frontal area must be taken into account. The flares look to be another source of drag. Nothing a little extra hp can't take care of though.

Griffin needs to hurry up with their boxes. There aren't many great high hp options geared for v8s.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I think the sky's the limit here...Fran's GTR is wider so larger frontal area must be taken into account. The flares look to be another source of drag. Nothing a little extra hp can't take care of though.

But, as you undoubtedly know, there is a point at which one hits a solid brick wall aero-wise...at which point any given car can go no faster regardless of how much HP it may have on tap.

That point is what I was curious about. (The GT-R's areo speed limit.)

But, as you undoubtedly know, there is a point at which one hits a solid brick wall aero-wise...at which point any given car can go no faster regardless of how much HP it may have on tap.

That point is what I was curious about. (The GT-R's areo speed limit.)
But of course. My bad… misinterpreted your initial comment. Curious what Fran has to say.

Could you explain that? Are you thinking about stability rather than drag?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
As drag increases there is a cube relationship to the power required to overcome that drag. As the curve becomes more vertical the required HP to overcome drag becomes infinite. Its been years since I took a physics class but I think that's close?

Back