GT Weight & Weight Reduction

Re: GT Weight & Weight Reduction

When I was growing up Autocar road tests were definitive and always included the weight but I could not find it anywhere in their new full test - I understand the car they tested (which is also the one on Top Gear on SUnday) is not one of the 28 customer cars but (presumably) a homologation / test hack to production standards

Ron Earp

Admin
No car magazine, that I know of, routinely weighs their cars anymore. Nor do they employ chassis dynos, both of which all the motorcycle magazines do and in doing so they routinely dispell factory numbers. Hence, my distrust of factory specs.

Hi,

The new GT will suffer from the same problem of any modern cars.

The new F 430 Ferrari will weight 80 kg more than the 360, the Bugatti will weight 1900 kg, the "lightweight" GT3 RS is about 1400 kg, the Murcielago roadster is more than 1700 kg, the Viper is now 1570 kg ..........

PLEASE STOP - DIET NOW

Weight is killing performance, road holding and make the cars dangerous for other drivers.

My Lotus Elise is 750 kg for 180 HP, I'm not afraid with any Porsches or Ferraris

Dan

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Damn right, fastest thing I ever owned was a Beck Spyder (wish I had it now) that only had 180hp, but it only weight 1300 lbs. Almost as fast as my motorcycles.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim,
My father is half way through a Beck 550 now. He had modified th rear end to take a 2.5L 6 cylinder motor. It's looking good.

As for power / weight. My Lotus 7 replica has a 210hp 1300cc Suzuki bike engine and weighs in at 450kg (990 pounds). Road registered and bloody fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Nothing gets close in a drag at the lights.
Weight is where you get your speed. Lotus have been doing it forever. I think Chapman said, power makes you fast down the straights, lightness makes you fast everywhere".

Back