GT40 45th reunion at Road America

Well there you have it from the President of the track. It is always a tough weekend scheduling-wise but I can assure you that George can "Get 'er done"...
I'm gonna start packing..

Hook up with a Vintage racer and put your car in their rig... We need to consolidate the two Road America threads...

I think we know now about how many are going to try and make it. Now to the next level. Who, besides me, is thinking of bringing their wife or girl friend? Wife for me. She wouldn't take well to the overland, so am planning on having her fly in. Never been to Wisconsin. Can someone enlighten me on the area? Where is the best to fly into? Other attractions/activities. Might as well have some fun while there. Be lucky to get her to last a whole day at the track if there aren't any other females there. She used to rough it with me in the "old days", but the Holiday Inn is about as rough as she can stand now!!
On another matter, I will be trailblazing from Atlanta. Anyone interested in a convoy?? I figure it is a good two day haul. Any good stopovers/dining experiences on the way?? NEED INPUT

Bill

There is a dirt track in nearby Plymouth and they have races on the weekends. Lots of us go to those. Tell her to go light on the skin lotion though or she'll look like she used "Tan in a Can". Fly to Milwaukee. Rent a car and drive to Elkhart Lake. Stay at Osthoff's Resort. She'll be fine. If she doesn't drink much maybe she could drive all of us around in her rental car ?

Attachments

• KIC 2007 008 (Small).jpg
    KIC 2007 008 (Small).jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 389
  • KIC 2007 005 (Small).jpg
    KIC 2007 005 (Small).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 354
Well, I have started an odyssey, and will find the answers in the next day or two. I need to back up a bit though. I was putting in for vacation about two weeks ago. In talking with our scheduling person, she sent word that it was odd that I wanted vacation from Tuesday to Tuesday. I figure it will take two days to drive up with a trailer. I told her I was going to Wisconsin for an auto show and race event. She looked at me oddly, and asked what town. I said Elkhart Lake. Well it winds up that her husbands cousin owns/operates one of the bars there and on the big race weekends, he rents out his home and stays over the bar. Well as it turns out he thinks about it, says he is willing to rent it out, then one day later decides not to. She calls her aunt last night and she says she just rented out her house four days ago. She knows the people in the Chanber of Commerce and they have a list of homes that are available to rent. They are expecting my call tomorrow. I don't go into work til 11 AM, so I will be calling about 10.
Now, the question is, Are any of you guys interested in renting a house for the weekend?? It is a small town, so everything should be in close proximity. I wil gather the info and will post it here tomorrow night hopefully. I don't get off til 7 PM EST. So if you have an interest drop me a PM of post here.
The rates at the Osthoff run from$200 to $600 a night(I assume). On checking with the Hotel, there aren't any rooms available for the race weekend. A beautiful place. A house may be more, but if there are several of us then the rates go down. I will post the results here.

Bill

Dean,
I have some info on the rooms and/or houses available in and around Elkhart Lake. I will PM you on more about them this afternoon. My wife has backed out of the trip(for now), so I will be on my own.
I want to keep this part of the thread alive so others who are thinking of going will get off the fence. Some of the info I have uncovered is this. There aren't many if any hotel/motel rooms available at this time. I checked some of the area motels sites. The two hotels there, are/were charging from $208 per night to over $600. the rooms I have found through the chamber of commerce run from $80 to $120 or so. Might have to share a bathroom with others/owners. Personnaly I think taking a shower with a stranger(proper) might be fun. But I ramble. The houses run from about $200 up depending on how many bedrooms. I have a list of several they have provided me with. It really is more economical to go this route. The houses are in Elkhart or about 5 miles or less from the track. So it wouldn't be that expensive.
Would some one who knows tell of the expense of the meet itself. Which ticket setup is the best to get. Should we get preferred parking, if needed, where is a good place to leave the trailers. can theybe taken inside the park and left there? Etc. Etc.
http://https://www.roadamerica.com/store/products.aspx?catid=9
http://http://www.roadamerica.com/
I am hoping some of the guys from across the pond are still coming. If they are and want a touring experience, they can probably catch a ride with some of us from the east coast that are driving up. I wouldn't mind the company. I have plenty of room in my 4 door Dodge 1500. I am planning on a two day trip up there, leaving on Tuesday and starting back on Sunday afternoon. If we do it right, maybe some of us could meet up along the way and caravan it.
Anyone interested in any of the details can PM of call me.
Cell: 678-687-4611
email:[email protected]

Bill

Still trying to get my car to Elkhart from Oregon...so far I have quotes of 1500 (DeMoise) each way with a loose schedule (meaning I have to hang out until it suites them on the back end) to haul the car and 1750 (Intercity) each way with a tighter schedule but I have to reposition the car to and from Sacramento (5 hour drive from Medford).

Back