GT40 Australia #103

Hi All
Thought I would introduce you to a new member of the family, DRB #103

This will be my second DRB build thread.

This time I have planned the car out from the very beginning and set all colours, wheel styles and so on.

I have optioned the car with Gulf rear clip. Roll bar, removeable side windows and super low floor. Centre tacho dash and a different gelcoat colour. 5ltr windsor, A/C, electric mirrors and so on.

I am hoping to loosely copy the colour scheme of the Black number 2 car.
I have ordered a set of vintage wheels from Bob and they are in the BRM style and all gold in colour. I will paint the car black and have the silver side stripes.

The car is still a few weeks or so away from being ready for delivery so I have been shoping for most of the bits required and polishing the C4 corvette suspension arms I like so much.....who said polishing was easy???

Attachments

• Chassis sub-components in Jig & welding in progress - 6 March 2010.jpg
    Chassis sub-components in Jig & welding in progress - 6 March 2010.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 532
  • Body panels in Black Gel Coat (2).jpg
    Body panels in Black Gel Coat (2).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 450
  • Body panels in Black Gel Coat (3).jpg
    Body panels in Black Gel Coat (3).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 434
  • Body panels in Black Gel Coat (5).jpg
    Body panels in Black Gel Coat (5).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1854.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 489
Dave,
Sounds like you have this one all planned out. I had mine planned until my teenagers(now grown) wrecked my budget!! If you have all your accessories before hand that should help. I can feel your pain with the polishing. It is a PIA!! Keep us posted on the progress.

Bill

Hi Guys
Thanks for the responses.
I guess the car will be mine until someone else decides they want it....:laugh:

Wheels turned up today. Had some trouble with customs but we got it sorted. Thanks Bob for great service. Can't wait to see the car with the gold wheels. They change from bronze to light gold depending on light.

Attachments

• IMG_1861.jpg
    IMG_1861.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_1862.jpg
    IMG_1862.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 355
Are you doing a right hand shift as well?

Hi Steve
Funny you say that as we were talking about a right side shift yesterday and if I should go down that road. The answer is about 80% yes at the moment.

There sweet rimms big fella!!!!

I know Guy in Perth who has the same set in Silver and was kind enough to allow me the offsets...

Yes I have a few Crownies in the fridge Keron.....you're allways welcome. You get that LS1 cranked up yet?

Last edited:
Progress is happening.....almost there and the car should be ready for freighting this coming tuesday.

Finally finished polishing the front suspension arms. What a job...oh the pain.

My tyres turned up from tire rack so will get them fitted to the rims early next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1883 (2).jpg
    IMG_1883 (2).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 441
  • Photo update - 26-3-10 (15).jpg
    Photo update - 26-3-10 (15).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 459
  • Photo Update - 25-3-10 (6).jpg
    Photo Update - 25-3-10 (6).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 381
  • Photo update - 26-3-10 (12).jpg
    Photo update - 26-3-10 (12).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_1885 (2).jpg
    IMG_1885 (2).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 420

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Love the gold wheels... Mine will be quite similar save for a polished lip.. Are they Powder Coated?
How did you do the tilt front end?

Suspension parts really look sharp polished!!!!

Bob from vintage wheels did the wheels, I think they are painted. I was hoping they would powder coat them but they look ok.

The tilt front is a DRB factory fitment. They are just door hinges set in the perfect position to make the front tilt. I will take some pics for you
when the car arrives home.

The reason I like DRB so much, apart from their service (which is awesome). Is they fit all the panels and gap them. They also fit all the clip locators and door locks. I hate working with fibreglass and couldn't align 2 panels if I tried. I am just not a body Guy.

More pics to come.

Those wheels are going to look great on a black car. Nice.

Yeah, you can't under estimate the benefit of getting a fully fitted and aligned body. We do the same for all the Aus RCR-40's as well. All panels fitted and aligned, alignment pins fitted, doors hinging, rear clip hinging, front clip slide on or hinging. Same for SL-C's but with gas struts on all hinges.

Dave, heard on the grapevine you are the DRB rep for Western Australia. Is that true?

Dave, heard on the grapevine you are the DRB rep for Western Australia. Is that true?

It is I think.

I would say I am more the WA Guy you go to when you have a problem with rego or assembly. I have not sold a car and I am not setting up shop, so in the true terms of a dealer or distributor I am not.

In the terms of you need a hand with a DRB or want to look at one before you head over to QLD, then give me a call and I'll help you out if I can with info free of charge. I am in it because I enjoy the hobby, the friends I make and the thrill of driving awesome cars.

Woohoo car is ready to go.....Lucky I got Black gelcoat, there was a storm here in Perth that has written off nearly 25000 cars with hail damage. I don't think a painter will be available for awhile.

Panel gaps look awesome. First job is to do all the body cut outs (light's,panel clips and so on). I was thinking I would go an alloy look interior like my FFR Coupe had.

I have a couple of months of free time to get stuck into this car so things should happen quick. DRB have been kind enough to send me over a heap of parts before I need them so they are ready to go.

Attachments

• net1.jpg
    net1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 372
  • net2.jpg
    net2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 360
Yay....car turned up yesterday. Got call to say come get it. Went to the freight yard picked her up and now she is safe at home.

Checking the car over I was very happy with the body work and the panel gaps are great. I was very happy that not only had GT40 Australia fitted all the panels including front and rear clip spigots but they had also fitted the door locks and strikers so the the doors are ready to go.

I also noticed that the doors had central locking motors fitted to them (BA Falcon I think). So I just need to wire in an after market immobiliser with central lock option and thats the Central lock job done, nothing like pressing a button and knowing she is all locked up. The powder coated chassis looks awesome.

I started work on her today, concentrating on getting all the fibreglass work done first. I'll cut in all the plexiglass, lights, panel clips and cut every hole in the body that I can, then clean out all the fibreglass dust and start on the mechaincal.

I got the rear clip Gulf vent panels fitted and rear tail lights, I also fitted
the 4 over centre panel clips. So the body is all locked down and latched. Tomorrows job is to nutsert all the plexiglass panels to the body.

Attachments

• IMG_1912 (2).jpg
    IMG_1912 (2).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_1905 (2).jpg
    IMG_1905 (2).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 369
Back