GT40 Chassis Value

Bart Roberts

Supporter
This is not a solicitation. I'm just trying to determine value. In hunting GT40 parts, I stumbled across a gentlemen with some health issues that was going to enter the GT40 market maybe 10-12 years ago. He has decided to part with his stuff. He used to build custom bikes and fabricate dragster chassis. The GT40 chassis are tube chassis, well built, suspension is OE style, not Corvette or anything. What would a market value in the US be on a good tube chassis with control arms and uprights? Again, not a solicitation but if the I buy the package, trying to figure what I might be able to recoup with the 2 spare chassis. Could I get 10k/ea or is that a stretch?

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Bart, There are too many variables here. To start, what suspension was it built for, to what plans, to what body, to what engine and transaxle. any photos of the work or dimensions to compare what you have to bodies available out there.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Value is in which factory/ brand made the chassis. If you look at many price lists, a chassis is close to 10% of the parts cost of final build.
Its easily $US 60K .++ in parts to build these cars… so a professionaly built factory chassis can cost $US 6K ++ If you can buy one separately. So a homemade chassis with no heritage I would’nt value high as its homemade, possibly without a coded welder… value is what you’re willing to pay. AK Sportscars use a well proven chassis from the Southern GT.

Worth doing some homework. The chassis used dictates the final value of the build.

Good luck:)

Well at a minimum, your looking at between 70 to 100kg of steel in the chassis alone. So you can cost that weight of steel tube quite easily.
Is it made with steel of a known quality or is it something that's been imported and does not have any specifications attached to it. I.e. less than 200MPA or something 350MPA and above?
Then you need to work out how long it would take someone to cut, weld it together. If it's a proven recipe and has jigs then time will be less, but there is money invested in the tooling which is passed onto the price of the chassis as well.
Then you need to work out how much other equipment would be needed to achieve that result. Welders, grinders, milling machine? tube notches?
Mig, Tig, Gas, or Spot welded or a combination?
Tube benders? Does any of this need to be sub contracted.
Are there any chassis brackets that have been laser cut ect?
Consumables, grinding discs, welding gas, saw blades,
safety gear
cost of renting and running a work shop to put it all together.
power, heating, cooling
paint/powder coat
shipping costs for any of the bits that are outsourced.

And that's just the chassis, no suspension.

Bart Roberts

Supporter
Thanks for your input. For valuation that I may be able to liquidate, I'm assuming spare chassis with arms and uprights are probably worth 6-8k each in US. Thanks.

Howard Jones

Supporter
You will need to post a lot of pictures. There are correctly constructed chassis and there are shopping carts. I would want to evaluate triangulation, weld appearance, tubing sizes, suspension type, and general construction quality before I could tell what I would pay for it. It could be well done and worth quite a lot or less than the cost of the materials wasted on a badly designed pile of steel tubing.

I would like to see it sitting on a flat smooth concrete surface with closeups of the corners including corner-to-corner measurements so that the "squareness" could at least be minimally evaluated. IMHO if it's not at least flat and square then it's basically worthless.

Bart Roberts

Supporter
You will need to post a lot of pictures. There are correctly constructed chassis and there are shopping carts. I would want to evaluate triangulation, weld appearance, tubing sizes, suspension type, and general construction quality before I could tell what I would pay for it. It could be well done and worth quite a lot or less than the cost of the materials wasted on a badly designed pile of steel tubing.

I would like to see it sitting on a flat smooth concrete surface with closeups of the corners including corner-to-corner measurements so that the "squareness" could at least be minimally evaluated. IMHO if it's not at least flat and square then it's basically worthless.

Agreed. These are well done by someone fabricating non-GT40 chassis for years. The chassis is not direct copy of anyones but appear to be GTD derived with some improvements to the rear that others like Southern GT has done in the past.

Back