GT40 Companies

G

Can any of you experts out there tell me which company gives the best bang for the buck in a GT40 replica. I guess what I'm looking for would be the FFR of the GT40 business.

Ron Earp

Admin
It has been awhile, about one year, since I did a lot of serious research into this topic.

Off the cuff I remember the GT40 Replication and the NZ company being very inexpensive. There have been reviews on these posted but as I remember it basically boiled down to not the best but reasonable quality and could be made into a nice car with a lot of work. Sort of like FFR. (Before someone lights me up just remember I'm simply repeating what I've read).

Wayne Presley might have some more info on this since I think it was one of his buddies that I'm paraphrasing from. Bob Lawerance might also have more info as well as Hershal Byrd since we were all buying at the same time and were scouring the market for info.

The sites are listed here:
http://home.nc.rr.com/rlearp/links.html

One of these days I will update that page or link it to this site. But not today.

Anyone want to take over the old site? Think I might kill it or merge it here. Anyone interested in having a picture gallery on this site where anyone can post pictures?

R

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

G

Thanks for the help Ron. Only just finished my FFR but I figured it's never to early to plan for that retirement project. Hey it's only 7 years away!
rolleyes.gif

G

John

In a prior heading (GT40Websites)I asked Brian Stewart about GT40 Replication. You can see his reply there. The biggest issue with them is a lack of a build manual. But if that's all your budget can stand, they appear to be the lowest cost buy in to a reasonable 40. Depends on how much work you can do alone.

If that's not your bag, I suggest you check out Tornado in the UK. I saw one of their cars and the quality was outstanding.
And now that Tornado is taking export orders
direct, their price is very competitive.

Good luck!
MikeD

I agree with Mike. The Tornado car is the best bang for the buck, but remember, the "basic" price is for a very "basic" car (no A/C, no leather, and a very low powered engine). I priced their car with options such as A/C and leather, and a better engine. Suddenly, the car became expensive.

The GT40 is not a car to be done cheaply. You would be disappointed in the long run.

I have spent a year researching the GT40, asking people like Mike Starling, Gordon Levy, Wayne Presley, et al, and have decided that to do it right, you are going to spend some money ($55K+). Anything less just won't do the car justice.

If you want a car less engine only, the CAV GT40 at $56K is great. Just pop in an engine and your good to go.

If you want to build one that will look great, and go like a rocket, go with RF or Tornado with the options.

If money is not a concern, ERA is an excellent choice. However, they have a 2 year waiting list.

Hope this helps

Bill D
Los Angeles, CA
grin.gif

G

So far I seem to be preferring Roaring Forties with what I've seen and read. As well, being endorsed by Gordon Levy is a pretty good bet as well I think. I'm sure something else can come up between now and in 2 years time when I'll make the move...

John

Going slowly with a project like the GT40 will reap rewards in the long run. Although I can't afford one right now, I'm planning on going with the RF when my stock portfolio recovers (if ever).

My suggestion is to fly to AZ and talk with Gordon. I'm sure he will glad to take you for a drive. I plan on seeing him when the finances are available.

Bill D
Los Angeles, CA
grin.gif

Bill, John, or anyone else. Feel free to come out anytime. just let me know your coming. My shop is about 4 minutes from the airport.

G

We are bleased today with having so many choices for GOOD quality GT40 replicas,
and with proper execution, an owner cannot go wrong with any of the aforementioned kit.

A big decision to make is whether to wait
(usually years) to save the entire $$ amount necessary to complete the project, or work
on a "pay as you go scheme". This is where
companies like Tornado have an advantage since you don't have to fork over all the money at one time. Plus you get to work
on the car over the entire period of time
instead of not being able to start work until
have the entire kit.

For those that have unending patience,
I'm sure it's better to wait to buy the entire kit at once. But for those of us that just can't sit still, it's nice to have the choice of spreading the cost over time and still getting to work on the car.

I wish all companies offered this option, but I understand their desire not to "water
down" their product. Again... it's just nice
to have choices!

MikeD

My ERA is scheduled to start build in Jan. Was 2 years a long wait? Yes and no. My finances were such that whatever I bought, I would have had to wait 2 years. During the wait, there were a number of items to be collected and readied...steering rack, wiper parts, brake parts, wheels, etc. And of course, the big ticket items. ZF transaxle and engine. I ended up budgeting a certain amount of money per month toward those items stretched out over an 18 month period. I built the engine up myself as well as flipping the ZF. Heck, I spent 2 weeks just making tools to be able to work on the ZF.
So, was 2 years a long time? Sounds like a long time, but I have been busy getting stuff ready for at least 16 months, so I couldn't have done it any faster without farming work out to someone else...and I'd just as soon do it myself. Thats where a lot of the fun is.

Dave

G

Definitely a big job and a big decision to make. I am think I'll be forced on a 3-5 year plan to try and accumulate the necesary funds for whatever kit I go with. That is unless my tech stocks defy the laws of nature in the near future... Anyone aware of someone running GT40 up here in Canada.

G

Thanks for all the help guys. In the near future I'll return the favour and put together all the web sites I have bookmarked and leave a list on the forum.

I contact Brian, from Lone Star, last week and he told me that they redesigned their LS40 kit and are now prepairing to release the new model to the public. It has a curb weight of 1,700 lb. and only costs $22,000 turnkey. They have not decided the exact price of the kit. It will be in the neiborhood of $17,000 for absolutly everything . They meant a car in a box meaning you just have to supply the battery, fuel, and oil. He told me to check back with them in about 30 days. They should have detailed kit information w/pricing, and pictures at that point.

shocked.gif
shocked.gif

[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: Javier Jose ]

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
This is absolutely too good to be true. Sorry. If it IS true, after what I've agreed to shell out for a car, I may jump off a bridge...

Jim,

Don't jump just yet! Remember that Lone Star's 40 was designed for a Mazda rotary engine, and their body shape wasn't too accurate.
Wait for photos and specs on their new car before you do anything drastic!

Bill

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Don't jump. This thing resembles a GT40, but only barely. I took it off my list of GT40 replicas as it definitely is not a replica, only an "image".

Ron

Ron,
the intent of this page is to cater to all GT40 enthusiasts,from what I recall.
Not everyone has the financial or fabrication ability to buy/build a true replica.I am sure that some purist or original owners view GTD/RF/CAV etc etc etc as cheap imatations compared to the real thing.Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Just sticking up for the little guy.!!!
smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Fran,

The page definitely is for all GT40 replicas. But, it is not really the best place for GT40 "kit cars", such as the Fiero body ad-ons and VW beatle based cars. Not the mazda engined "GT40" from Lone Star or the forthcoming "Mid engined supercar than looks sort of like a GT40" from Factory Five.

Maybe my definition is a litle skewed from some, but to me "kit cars" does not mean all the good replicas we have available today that try very hard to duplicate the original GT40 in form and function. And in many cases these companies are successful in superceeding the original in both categories.

Just my 0.02 cents and just an opinion. Of course the forum is for everything, but I still stand by my original statement of just not jumping off that bridge yet - the LS40 is a long way from what the fellow purchased.

R

[ June 24, 2002: Message edited by: R. Earp ]

Back