GT40 English or American

If it were American they(the manufacturers) would have put the steering wheel on the wrong side (Left)

I think the track layout of LeMans determined the steering side. Porsche protos had right side steering as well.

Veek,
I personally think it is far simpler than that... the pitstops and driver changes. It takes longer to walk round to the other side of the car, as I don't think you were allowed to leave the pit area until the car was stopped.

Brett

I just love watching the pit stops in those days.

One guy that changes the tyres checks the oil and fuel the driver chills out with a cigarette. Hehe

Keith

Veek,
I personally think it is far simpler than that... the pitstops and driver changes. It takes longer to walk round to the other side of the car, as I don't think you were allowed to leave the pit area until the car was stopped.

Brett

Approaching this issue from another direction, when I raced Al Unser Snr's Penske Camaro in UK & Europe I was at a distinct disadvantage with the left hand drive position...Most tracks I raced on had more right hand turns than left and were mostly raced clockwise...

Drivers weight and unsighted apexes generally.... :)

Craig,

I might be wrong here, but don't think the 427 ever became 'all ali', the block remained a cast iron side oiler throughout.
The heads and manifold definitely changed though. :thumbsup:

The IIB was also a uk sourced chassis, as it was merely an evolution of the mkI chassis, but even more heavily modified than the IIA.

I would agree that the Mk.IIA had a British sourced chassis (reasonably heavily modified in the USA) but was fitted with USA sourced parts. The rear lights were Chevy (why I have no idea), gauges were Stewart Warner and Jones, the engine was a 427 Side Oiler FE (I think they had to wait until 1967 to get the all ali version though as I am pretty sure the 1966 cars were iron blocked but with ali heads and intake)

Cheers,
John.

I think this discussion is a bit moot. It really is a Ford vehicle and Ford at the time was truly a world power in the automotive industry. All of the "privateers" had close associations and ties with Ford, whether it be Ford of England as a desine studio, Alan Mann, Shelby America, Holman-Moody, as racing teams, and development engineers, or the various suppliers. They were all attached to Ford through the pocketbook. The fact is that Ford is an American company. They bought the expertise were they found it, so the origins can not be attributed to a single country. A lot of people had a big hand in this.

I think that 'ol Shel' wants to suck up all the glory and claim credit for the whole thing, typical of his style. He probably had less to do with the overall success than several other people and organizations. To hear the "political" stories from the racers and the other teams regarding Shelby, sometimes it seems that success was achieved in spite of his activity.

When you look at the 1966 Le Mans race I find it interesting that 55 cars started the race. At the end only 15 were still running. 3 GT40s, 5 Porsches, 4 Alpines, 2 Ferraris and a Marcos Mini GT. Kind of an interesting mix.

I think it is safe to say that Ford of England created the initial design, Shelby fiddled with it in the Mark I stage(without success), Homan-Moody through Ford, developed the Mark II Chassis with the 427 engine and created a car that in the right hands was successful. Shelby lent the public relations and a whole lot of other talented engineers and drivers who became legends in their own rights applied the final bits and pieces to make it work. For one country or person to claim credit for the whole thing is absurd.

Incidental, the tail lights on the Mk IIs are Chevy's. In fact to make it worse, they are Corvair lights. Small, round and cheap.

I have just watched a show where some Americans were in France admiring the Eiffel Tower. One said to the other (paraphrased) "It's just like the one in Las Vegas only the Vegas one is bigger".
I suspect the GT40 has a similar story. ;) :)

I'm surprised Shelby hasn't claimed credit (and royalties) for the Christmas "Carrol".

I vote English. ;)

Tim.

I guess, Carol knew that the Eiffeltower in Vegas is only half the size of the one in Paris!:lipsrsealed:

In my opinion (not a real Ford lover:stunned:) the GT40 is born a Lola but raised with Ford funding.

They both did a great job and created the best and most beautifull car, ever. (in my opinion, that is)

I just finished watching an old interview of John Weyer (1989 Watkins Glen)and the way he covered things it sounded very much Anglo/ American. i.e. Concept from Eric Broadly thru the Lola Mk 6; However this was refined and re-engineered by Ford engineers and was to be built in England. John Weyer was signed up to be the cheif administrator of the project and Carrol Shelby was to take care of the race cars and teams. That was his explanation of the original set up, before the Mk2's and 4's came into development etc. Based on this interview It sounds like the entire early program was very much a joint effort, however the funding all came from Ford who is a multi country organization. So I quess it can be anything you want it to be!

I just finished watching an old interview of John Weyer (1989 Watkins Glen)and the way he covered things it sounded very much Anglo/ American. i.e. Concept from Eric Broadly thru the Lola Mk 6; However this was refined and re-engineered by Ford engineers and was to be built in England. John Weyer was signed up to be the cheif administrator of the project and Carrol Shelby was to take care of the race cars and teams. That was his explanation of the original set up, before the Mk2's and 4's came into development etc. Based on this interview It sounds like the entire early program was very much a joint effort, however the funding all came from Ford who is a multi country organization. So I quess it can be anything you want it to be!
Reading a book by Ronnie Spain GT40 might help settle the debate.

Back