GT40 lap times

I have been trying to compare a contemporary track prepepd Gt40 to the current crop of so called trackable supercars.

Below is some of the dtata i have been able to cobble togther. Its hard to compare as I have no idea as to the capoability of the various drivers so comaprisons may be invalid.

Cobbling together some data I have found.
At Spa.
Ferari Scud 2.41
Corvette ZR1 slightly better.
Historic raced GT40 2.47
GT3 RS 4.0 2.50

At the 2013 festival of speed at goodwood Kenny Brack in GT40 did a 1.22 lap in the dry before rain set in. This is a FIA sanctioned car so i assume soild disks 302 motor, grooved avons, although apparently its also the most developed GT40 out there, and with a superlative driver.
Absolute record is a Lola T70 in 2010 at 1.18
For comparissson below some goodwood streetcar times. The Gt3 was a 997.1.

Lotus Exige Cup 2601:27.80 Lamborghini Murcielago1:28.60 Porsche 911 GT3 1:29.20 Aston Martin V12 Vantage1:29.70 Mercedes SLK 55 AMG1:30.60

Two other data points Lexus LFA1:22.62 168'10560 / 16092.Nissan GT-R1:27.70 159'08480 / 1740

Does anybody have lap times for a Gt40 at other tracks. In particular has any pro recently run a GT40 at the nurbering. Like for example hasd Kenny Brack run a GT40 at the nurbering or some similarily talented driver.

Alternatively, do we have any lap times for the Gt40 at nurbering and other cars with the same driver.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Perhaps another interesting comparison would be a well prepped GT40 with big wheels and hence big brakes and fitted with the latest performance road tyres and then with some sticky slicks. The coefficient of friction of these different tyres is vastly different. The value for an Avon CR6ZZ(mechanical grip tyre) is 1.3 whereas a slick (chemical grip tyre) is 2.4 + . Not sure what a modern performance tyre (mechanical grip) can do. Tyres have a bigger influence on lap time than most other changes made to a particular car. Even the difference between new and used tyres can be huge.
Cheers
Mike

Perhaps another interesting comparison would be a well prepped GT40 with big wheels and hence big brakes and fitted with the latest performance road tyres and then with some sticky slicks. The coefficient of friction of these different tyres is vastly different. The value for an Avon CR6ZZ(mechanical grip tyre) is 1.3 whereas a slick (chemical grip tyre) is 2.4 + . Not sure what a modern performance tyre (mechanical grip) can do. Tyres have a bigger influence on lap time than most other changes made to a particular car. Even the difference between new and used tyres can be huge.
Cheers
Mike

Undoubtably tires are huge, even on my lil elise slics adds 2-3 secs over an R compound. i think the avons used in histroics astart as slicks and then have grooves cut into them.

Now if we took an SPF Gt40 as historic raced and put slicks on what would the lap times look like.

In period a GT40 lapped nurbering at 8.50, but those cars had skiiny tires with evn less grip, worse brakes and less power than any historic raced car today, plus thye did not have the same shocks or springs.

Now if we put hoosiers on 17 in rims on a 550hp Gt40 what would lap times look like compared tot he same driver in say a GT3.

Some numbers seem to indicate that a track prepped Gt40 is going to be a bit fatser than a stock 997.2 gt3 and up there in z06 scud territory. Of course it laso depemnds heavily on the track and driver experience. Kenny Bracks times at Goodwood would indicate its on pace with the best. But then who drove the LFA were they on par with Kenny brack. We should alsoa ssume that the Kenny Brack car has slightly north of 600hp and is rumored to have alighteweight cf body, plus its driven by kenny Brack.

Or put another way now thatw e know what Kenny Brack can do in the ultimate Gt40 what lap times would he set in a street Gt3 of LFA.

Interesting also that the LFA has better lap times than the GTR, because in most cases the GTr is the car to beat.

Found some more times.

On the 2011 version of the Ring grand prix circut a race GT40 did 2.16, have no idea of driver or spec.

A porche Gt3 did 2.19 also no idea of driver or spec.

Its very hard to compare lap times from different era`s . Goodwood is a prime example, it has undergone massive improvements and areas of the track that were once no better than a pot holed dirt track are re surfaced. A lot of other tracks here have also had sections altered which makes comparing lap time virtually impossible. Top gear recently pitched a genuine gt40 against a Noble to see how old tech faired against new, surprisingly the 40 still won.

Bob

Malcolm

Supporter
I beleive that the 40's running at Goodwood would be on Dunlop Post Historic tyres probably Ms. These are cross ply tyres but have pure rubber compounds. Good in the dry and rubbish in the wet.

Its very hard to compare lap times from different era`s . Goodwood is a prime example, it has undergone massive improvements and areas of the track that were once no better than a pot holed dirt track are re surfaced. A lot of other tracks here have also had sections altered which makes comparing lap time virtually impossible. Top gear recently pitched a genuine gt40 against a Noble to see how old tech faired against new, surprisingly the 40 still won.

Bob

The nurbering stats above are for the same year. the goodwood stats are I belive all the the past 3 or so years, in other words after repaving.

The historic big Nurbering times are from the mid 60's and clearly off what would be accomplished today.

I wonder what say a Ferrari GTO time at good wood from the 60s is to today. i bet the contemporary time even with a lesser driver is much better. All these cars are much more powerful today, have better brakes shocks and ininitely better brakes, even if disks and calipers look the same.

Back