GT40 Manufacturers

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As I recall, there were 4 MKIII cars built as LHD.
That said, running a RHD GT40 in a LHD country in a highly populated area could well be a recipe for ulcers if not disaster... At best, the visibility out the sides and rear of a GT are not very good to poor. Plus being only belt-buckle high to many people, they are hard to see in an active traffic situation.
So - even though not “correct” -
I built to LHD for these reasons and I fault no one for doing the same.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
As I recall, there were 4 MKIII cars built as LHD.
That said, running a RHD GT40 in a LHD country in a highly populated area could well be a recipe for ulcers if not disaster... At best, the visibility out the sides and rear of a GT are not very good to poor. Plus being only belt-buckle high to many people, they are hard to see in an active traffic situation.
So - even though not “correct” -
I built to LHD for these reasons and I fault no one for doing the same.
In reality you are so close to the center of the car that LHD v. RHD is not that much of an issue. As as to passing, as I tell customers "well you won't be out there long"!

Drivers placement was easy on my Lola Mk3b replica. The dash instrument cluster was on the right.So the steering is now on the right,the shifter is on the right and I guess Ill be on the right to. I thought of converting to left for safety sake(USA) but in reality your head is only about a foot off the center line. I also helped talk the local mail carrier into getting a right hand drive suv to make it easier to stuff the mail in the box. Now that she is used to it she wouldn't have it any other way.

Tim Collins

Supporter
How about 'Race Car Replicas' located in Fraser, Michigan USA. Not too far from where I live. I'm going to make an appointment to go see their facility. They claim to have supplied all the cars (including the Ferraris) used in the Ford vs Ferrari movie. I wonder what's to become of those cars? Maybe I'll ask when I visit them next week. Might be neat to own one. A real life back-to-the-future car?

if you're still interested, you can come check out our RCR GT40 build anytime. I'm located in the Detroit metro area.

Back