GT40 replicas

I am in the process of making the complicated descision that all of you have made in picking a replica.
My criteria is as follows:
1.Originality
2.Best construction
3.Ease and fit of parts in build.
4.Best build support.
5.Price (best dollar value not cheapest)
6.Most satisfying upon completion.
7.Best handling.

I realise that the Superformance just arrived so a fair comparison can't be made.

Thanks for your help, Al

I think we need Ron's "search" error message here.

(Al, it's a good question, but it's one that has been asked many times, please read through the archives for some people's thoughts on this issue)

Al,
your criteria is a good starting point.
You will find though that if you put your own limits to each of them this will help you rule out some of your choices.

For example, some are dearer than others, some require far more fabrication (and so engineering ability).

I would suggest 6 & 7 are very contentious issues, and I really don't think any of them would be a disapointment.

Personally, my choice would be for an ERA or an RF, and if you have time and money go for one of Goran's monocoques built to be as original as you can get.

Do a search, all of this has been covered many times (I asked the same questions around the beginning of the year ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Al

To make this a fair evaluation you need to assign values
to each criteria...unless you are sure they all weigh
equally with you.

Also...the fact that half of the choices do not have a running car in customer hands yet is a bit concerning.
Will be interesting to see how this question gets
answered in another year or so.

MikeD

Ron Earp

Admin
Ben, would that be this one:

searchsign.JPG

I guess that what I am really looking for (without badmouthing) is opinions from members. As in: It was as advertised! Worth the money! Fun to build! Precision parts! Worked well with engine, transaxel, etc. NOT, It was a piece crap that made me want to fill the bathtub with hot water and break out the wine and razor blades! And in going thru searches I seem to have left out alot of good replicas! Sorry about that. Thanks, Al

Ron, Excelent choice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know, being search Impaired /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Al, don't take my response personally, I just have to do that from time to time to keep peace.

There hasn't been a better time to get a GT40 replica - you've got at least five space frames to choose from and four mono cars, all of them that I am thinking of are good companies. They have folks on the forum, a goodly number of people that post here a lot have them, and the companies care about customer service. I made my choice on my car a good while ago based on my critera and history, but all the major cars out now are, IMHO, good cars and I'd own any of them.

What did this tell you? Not much. But, that is sort of where these threads go. Remember, that agreement you click "I agree" to when you signed up had a point about this:

• Please, use the forum as an information source and use the search feature before posting a question. And think about your question. I’m sure you want to know which GT40 to purchase or which one is the best. But face it – they are all represented here and everyone likes to think they made the best choice so how many answers do you think you’ll get? Do your research and the best GT40 FOR YOU will become clear. And if you can’t figure it out then ask me, the best GT40 is MINE.

Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't ask, you should, but just be prepared for the answers! Good luck and I'm sure lots of folks here will be willing to help you out.

Ron

Rune

Supporter
Just a comment to this
"""and if you have time and money go for one of Goran's monocoques built to be as original as you can get"""
I was on a visit at his factory and there was the real stuff . But as far as I know he only intend to build 10 monocoques cars ,so be fast if You want one.
He also have a a Shelby engine ,the only one never used in a car I think . for innstall in his gt40
I plan to buy a replica mk1 from him , as soon as the authority give the signal for this here in Norway . His page is www.sportscar.se

Rune

Al,

You ask some good questions, but you don't really indicate what type of GT40 you want. As far as I can tell, there are 3 corner cases of GT40's, and everything falls within this triangle:

1. The as accurate as it gets replica.
2. The plush street legal supper car.
3. The "performance is everything" track car.

So you should ask yourself how you intend to use the car and where in the above space your ideal GT40 falls. This could have a big impact on your choice. If your bias is towards #1, ERA would be one of the top picks, but the space frame guys would be out. If your bias is towards #2, there is a thread on a fully loaded RF that would make a Lamborghini owner jealous. If your bias is toward #3, the RCR chassis would be hard to beat.

Personally, I am going through the same process. I'm taking my time, seriously questioning how I intend to use the car, and looking at as many examples as I can find before making a decision.

BTW, I should add that I had the extreme good fortune to see eleven (11) original GT40's last weekend at Goodwood (including 8 that raced). No two cars were the same - esp when you looked under the rear bonnet.

Happy shopping.
Mark

John B

Temp Selling Pass
As I suspected! Rf is the choice to go with... just check the polls!

Regards john

RF 116 on order

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Mark - if you own the slot car in your avatar, please post a few pics of your track! A few folks here happen to pass the time waiting for their 40s with a little slot car racing (search for scalextric in the forum if you're interested). Of course these tracks are primarily for our children to use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

Al (a different Al)

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Al,

How did the new Ford Gt sound compaired to the RF replica? louder, better exhaust pulse...?
regards john

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi John,

There was no comparison. The two Ford GTs at Road America were virtually silent. I would even say they are quieter than my stock 2004 Mach 1. We were parked next to the Ford owned test mule (the yellow one with back tape numbers) and when it started to move I thought "Gee, I didn't even hear it start!" Going up the main straight you could barely hear it if you were at the "gear box" food area.

Al

[ QUOTE ]
I am in the process of making the complicated descision that all of you have made in picking a replica.
My criteria is as follows:
1.Originality
2.Best construction
3.Ease and fit of parts in build.
4.Best build support.
5.Price (best dollar value not cheapest)
6.Most satisfying upon completion.
7.Best handling.

I realise that the Superformance just arrived so a fair comparison can't be made.

Thanks for your help, Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al,

My research experience has led me to the following beliefs/
assumptions:

1) Originality: ERA & Superformance - CAV is close, but
ERA and Superformance are closest (note, SPF is based on
their Cobras, I assume the same effort is going to be made
with the GT40s)

2) Best construction - pretty much all of the ones in your
poll are well built.

3) Ease and fit of parts - as in number 2), pretty much all of
the companies have gone to great lengths to make the parts
go together well. CAV and Superformance come as turnkey minuses
(though CAV keeps saying a DIY kit will be available) and
the rest will come in various states of completion per customer
request.

4) Best build support - again, they have all gone to great
lengths to support their product and be accessible. Add in
those who are on this board who have built the product and/or
represent the company locally, and their is a lot of help
available.

5) Price - this is a sticky area. RF is probably the cheapest
overall, with MDA and Tornado not far behind. Looking at
RCR prices, their is a lot of sourcing of parts to be done.
MDA has some pieces needed for completion not included in
their price as well. A CAV turnkey minus is not a bad deal
either, once you factor in the cost of sourcing pieces,
body prep/paint and assembly (whether you do it or not) the
initial outlay may seem high, but the final cost is not too
shabby relatively speaking. Also, finding a used vehicle or
a partially finished kit could save money and time.

6) Satisfaction is highly subjective - I find pretty much
everyone is happy with their final product.

7) Handling is alo highly subjective - again, the owners
all seem satisfied with their choices.

Ian

I should amend my comments to include that RCR's price, while
not totally inclusive of parts according to their website, does
get you a monocoque chassis with all access panel holes
predrilled and tapped as necessary, as well as a body that
should be ready for paint. An equivalent RF or MDA requires
the panelling to be done - which both charge extra for. So,
fator in the cost to panel vs. the extra parts supplied
when comapring RCR and RF.

Just want to be as fair as possible in my reply. I readily
acknowledge any errors in judgement and understanding, and will
correct any comments as required. I still stand behind the
fact that all of the mentioned manufacturers are helpful and
stand behind their products.

Ian

Ian,
You sir have hit the preverbial nail on the head. I can't remember when someone said it better. So that first cold one is on me pal.
Folks, we need to get over that hump of which is better. As Ian has so vividly stated they all have their strong points and none are really a bad choice. It comes down to what you feel is right for you.
And...as I always say, " do your research"!!

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guys, thanks for your input.

Ian, Your comments are very helpful. At this point I am leaning towards a RCR, CAV or Superformance, but I still feel like I've been dropped in a huge pile of candy and don't know which one to taste! I guess going to each replica builder and checking them out first hand is the best thing to do. Thanks, Al

If you got an RCR GT40, and then fell in love with Lolas, you could just swap bodies in about an hour. OK, OK so maybe it would take a month or two.I like the commmon chassis idea though. Tell us exactly how you intend to use the car and what your expectations are, please.

Back