GT40 wheels - new offset

Just finished painting a new pair of rear wheels I received from Dennis Olthoff. I have been running the super-wide Avon "race" tires on the street for sometime but they were not DOT and very prone to getting flats. These new wheels have the same offset as the wider rims but are narrower and allow me to run DOT Avons. They are basically stock SPF rear GT40 rims but with a greater 2" offset. Heading out on a 1,200 mile road trip this Friday....should be a blast!

Attachments

• GT40 10-10-10 3.jpg
    GT40 10-10-10 3.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 568
  • GT40 10-10-10 4.jpg
    GT40 10-10-10 4.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 514
  • GT40 10-10-10 5.jpg
    GT40 10-10-10 5.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,105
  • GT40 10-10-10 6.jpg
    GT40 10-10-10 6.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 565
  • GT40 10-10-10 7.jpg
    GT40 10-10-10 7.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 603
  • GT40 10-10-10 8.jpg
    GT40 10-10-10 8.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 526

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I hope your road trip includes Eureka Springs this Friday night. If so, I will see you there.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Me three. Mike don't forget a video camera. I will bring my in two in car video camera's just remind me to turn them on. :)

I love this car! BTW you mentioned you painted the wheels. Why paint and not powder coat? Wouldn't powder coat be more tolerant of road debris and chipping? Again though, your car is one of my fav's. Spectacular and enjoy your drive. Keep us posted with photos and updates.

I hope your road trip includes Eureka Springs this Friday night. If so, I will see you there.

Yes, heading that direction....we are going to have a great time. I cannot wait to see 3 GT40s on the road together!
I am heading out about 7am to get there about noon. If you and Jack can leave early too, the Kansas guys are eating lunch at Bubba BBQ in Eureka.

Brian

I love this car! BTW you mentioned you painted the wheels. Why paint and not powder coat? Wouldn't powder coat be more tolerant of road debris and chipping? Again though, your car is one of my fav's. Spectacular and enjoy your drive. Keep us posted with photos and updates.

Powder coat does not give me the finish I was looking for....I like the "old school" look which is also known as cheap. I do not mind the chipping and scrapes...looks more original that way :)

Brian
The car looks as great it did the first day I saw it when you picked it up. I think I like black better than the orange ...kinda tones it down. I'll have to call Dennis tomorrow before he leaves for Road Atlanta. I've been after a set of spare wheels for sometime. Have a good weekend.
Grady

Looks great,

will be interesting to see, if the greater offset on the smaller wheel, will influence rear wheelbearing live.

TOM
I thought about that as well but after looking very closely at the wider wheels and seeing where the contact patch was....I do not think it will be an issue. I will certainly keep watch on them though.

Brian

Tom,

Dennis warned me about a "push" when going to the wider wheels. Your solution my prevent that...what is your "seat of the pants" impression?

Thanks, Ron

Back