GT40NZ Changing????

Scott,
I like your ideas. I'm with you in hoping that someone will design and build such a kit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gordon is a dealer for RF. If you still need any info try again. If you have no luck please send me an e mail or call. I will be glad to help any way I can.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When FFR brings out their mid engine kit next year for
$ 30k, remember one thing...only a lawsuit from Shelby prevented it from being a GT40.

MikeD

Ron Earp

Admin
I know what you folks are saying about a low cost kit, but with some completed GTDs on the market for $35,000 and not selling I don't know what is up.

Heck, get the complete one for $35k and rebuild it.

But, I know some folks want a kit where you can get part now and part later, there is certainly some basis for this too.

FFR's kit might be pretty good but it is hard to tell at this point. Their Cobras had a lot of teething problems though from the get go although they are doing much better now.

What happened to the M40 from Meat?????

R

Ron, I suppose you could buy a completed car for 35k and rebuild it,but then you'd have a lot more money and time into it than starting from scratch! (Let alone the big hit you take to purchase it,which is why the stage format is being discussed.)Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there are not good cars out there being offered for that kind of money.

I have one of the older FFR cobras (1910), and it is a blast. They have made a LOT of upgrades to the kits since then, but to be honest I didn't see much wrong with mine. In reality we are discussing thinly disguised race-cars anyway! ;o)

As far as Meat and the M40, who knows??????? Scott

The original FFR super car was cut up and discarded. They have started over with a clean sheet of paper. The new design will be similar but it now will use a C-5 corvette drive line less the torque tube. It will have a longer wheel base in order to acommandate a mid-engine configuration. I think it's an interesting choice. I didn't much care for the first design. I hope the new body design is a little better if they change it.
As far as a donor type car for a GT goes, I would have to say the closest thing to that would be the Ford SHO Taurus. I'm not sure if that tranny is mateable to a 5 liter V8 but it looks like a possibility.

For a driveline donor I would think you would also want to look at the Lincoln Continental which is FWD with Fords 32 valve modular motor already mated to it.

An alternate for the mid-engine-trans-diff layout would be to consider the Porsche 928 transaxle. Similar in layout to the later Corvettes', it is durable, good V8 ratio's, and are suprisingly very cheap on the used market (no demand). I've seen them as low as $300. Only problem would be the cost to repair it if need be. Rather plentiful in supply, and a good number of them had LSD. Hmmm, perhaps a 928 as a donor? This car can be bought surprisingly real cheap, has very good brakes and suspension components, and you could consider using the motor (though I personally wouldn't). BTW, the Saleen S7 uses a mid-engine-trans-diff layout. Just a thought.

Have we steered too far off topic?

Andy

[ QUOTE ]
For a driveline donor I would think you would also want to look at the Lincoln Continental which is FWD with Fords 32 valve modular motor already mated to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this a transverse mounting? I supposed you could get it to work, but in my opinion it would be a sacrilege to do such a thing to a GT40.

-Shannon

Yep...we've strayed off topic...but's it darned easy
when this subject (lack of a competitive US Manufacturer)
comes up.

Hersh

FFR's initial design didn't grab me either.
The front end wasn't aggressive enough and there were
too many different themes going on at the same time.
Hopefully the next version will be more focused.
But it still won't be a GT40.

MikeD

HILLY

Supporter
** But it still won't be a GT40 **

Although I have very limited knowledge of the kit car industry I have for a long time wanted to build a kit car but have refrained due to the stigma attached to, and the poor quality of a lot of the kits getting around. Even though the Cobra's are a cut above the rest in these parts, their popularity diminished their desirability (Speaking for myself that is). Then came along the GT40. Here is an ICV (Rater than a kit car) which can be built as close to the original vehicle as your budget will allow, perform like no other and consequently sealed my fate. I am surprised at the number of people who would encourage the dilution of what is a great replica for the sake of saving a few dollars and maybe reducing the value of your vehicles which will already have received a considerable investment. I as much as any other would like to pay less for my car but to me the quality is foremost in the justification for spending any money at all. In my case I waited until I could afford what I wanted and would be happy with even though there were cheaper products to be had. That’s my 2c.

“You get what you pay for !!”

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilly,
You have a great philosophy.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I used to have a sign on my desk that read."When you pay for quality, you only cry once".

Hersh:)

Hilly, I couldnt agree more, I would rather wait (work & save)and have the car that for me has been so desirable rather than have something that is more common and readily available.

Cheers

Steve

I'm confused... when in this conversation did anyone suggest using substandard parts and substandard labor to complete a kit?

I'm sorry, from what I've read about ALL the kits out there, none of them are perfect, and only a couple even come close to being near to the construction of the original (chassis, transmission, etc…).

The only thing that I've been advocating is a US offered kit in stages like cscott67 suggested. I'm sure a US kit wouldn't be any cheaper then any of the other offerings out there, but if you take shipping and import fees out of the picture it would constitute a significant savings that could pay for a pretty hot 302. I'm sure for some people on this board the cost of importation is insignificant, but for the majority, it's a really big deal.

I for one don't want a cheaply made GT40 replica, but at the same time I would want to do most of the work myself... why? Not because I don't have the money, with my home equity line, I could write a check for a turnkey RF tomorrow, but because building a GT40 up from nothing has always been a dream of mine ever since I've known that the replicas exist. And when it's done I can say that I did it. Furthermore, based on my past experiences with car restoration, I guarantee you that it will stand up to the other replicas out there as far as fit, finish and quality goes.

Building, as well as driving is part of the love of the craft. Which leads back to the point that I raised at the beginning of this thread. NZ isn’t going to offer a kit anymore, thus taking away some of the joy of owning the car. I know that for every car that I’ve ripped apart, toiled over and sank my blood, sweat and tears into, I’ve been a little prouder and stood a little taller when I’m driving her. Solution: I won’t be buying an NZ.

The thread comes full circle.

-Shannon

Shannon,
Don't have to pay alot for quality.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm still with you on this.. I truly wish that someone will step up to the plate and build a kit that is cheaper but contains good engineering and quality parts off the shelf. I personally don't see it happening but that doesn't mean it won't. The interests in GT40's is growing everyday. There is a lot of Cobra shops out there that could easily add a GT to their lineup. They just might have to. The cobra is saturating the market and I feel they will have to find another replacement. Some just might take up the GT. You can bet the GT market is pretty strong if Superformance is coming out with an 85K GT. They will sell too. Also the new Ford GT is helping the sale of replicas too as it peaks interest in the design. Some folks will buy the replica because they want the look without the 150K price tag.

Sorry Hersh...

I didn't mean to get all ruffled. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif But like you said, it would be nice to have a US manufacturer that offered a kit at roughly the same price points as an RF sans shipping and importing.

I've actually been researching how much it would cost per unit to mass produce (in replica terms) a GT40 chassis. But I don't have any contacts for creating a body...

-Shannon

Gents

There is no right or wrong here...
It is obvious to anyone who has done research that you can
spend anywhere from $ 30k to $ 500k on a GT40 replica,
depending upon what your individual budget and tastes allow.
And 99% of America would not be able to tell the difference.

What we were discussing is GT40NZ's decision to no longer
sell kits, which is regretable, but I assume Dave had his
reasons. And once again questioning when someone in the
US is going to figure out how to make/sell kits at a price
more enthusiasts can afford. I believe it will happen...
manufacturing techology improves each day, and combined with the forces of Capitalism, it's just a matter of time.
Unfortunately time is a very precious commodity,
and personal decisions are made based on that cold fact.

MikeD

Interesting how my initial post regarding the demise of the GT40 NZ kit digressed into topics raging from quality to manufacturing location. However, the underlying point is, the number of manufacturers providing a kit in various stages that allow a builder to take his time without having to front the entire kit cost is minus one now. I know of 3 companies that have such a structured build - Roaring Forties, MDA, and Tornado. I wish ERA provided such a structured build, but I know that won't happen.

I would like to hear from the various manufacturers (ERA, DRB, RF, MDA, etc), as to the pros and cons of providing a GT40 kit in stages. I'm sure it's a business decision, and not something else.

Great thread, let's continue the exchange of information

Bill D

Bill

Your post is a bit misleading...DRB still offers "basic"
kits and "advanced" kits. Of course they are made down under
as is RF. And the declining exchange rate is just killing me.

MikeD

Bill,
It all depends on how long you want to stretch your project out.
One thing to remember about ERA is that they have a 2+ year waiting list, plus the time to actually build the chassis and body. You pay them $5K to get into the queue. Another $5K when they actually start the car, and the balance on delivery. For me, the time from ordering the kit to a finished car was 3 years and 10 months.

During the waiting period, I built up the engine and ZF transaxle, had half shafts made, ordered wheels and brakes, etc. That was enough to keep me and my budget busy for the waiting period.
I agree that balance due when they deliver the kit is a chunk of money. However, you have 3 years from the time you order the car to collect or finance the money.

The basic ERA kit is no where close to being a car. Yes, they do do turnkeys, however I opted for the basic kit because I enjoy doing as much as I can myself.
When I received my car, it is a chassis with a body bolted to it by just enough screws to hold it on. Everything that was temporarily installed by ERA had to be removed to paint the chassis.

It took the wife and I 10 months from the time we received the kit from ERA until the car hit the road.

In my case, their schedule fit my schedule, and a large portion of the cost was spread out over the 3+ year period.

Back