GT40s - Call for Donations or Assistance

Ron Earp

Admin
Greetings All,

Thanks to everyone who has emailed me over the last few weeks offering to help out with GT40s.com in any way they can. I certainly appreciate it, and if I'm been lax in emailing anyone responses (lost passwords, etc. I'm sorry but I hope I'm caught up).

GT40s.com is evolving, but is basically a Web Forum dedicated to GT40s. I started it in May of last year because I determined that there was a need for a place that GT40 lovers/builder/owners could be housed. Club Cobra was the inspiration, but our interests were short lived there as the topics quickly went back to Cobras (Real vs. Imaginary, BB vs. SB, etc, etc, etc).

I hope that the Forum is meeting everyone's needs. I would like for it to remain netural to manufacturers, a place where people can go to get the straight story on cars that are available and help with builds, mods, and other aspects of GT40ness. I hope that we are at least being somewhat successful in this effort.

Over the next year I hope that the site will continue to grow and attract attention. I think it definitely will when the new Ford GT40 hits the streets. We've already added sections for different type of tech, and it is soon to become home to a couple of GT40 Club forum sections.

However, it is growing fast and it is getting a lot of visits (over 13000 per month) and putting out a lot of information (over 13 gig a month, text mainly!). Currently the message sections of the forum eat up 22 megabytes on the server, not counting the software. Our current software can only support 10 active forum areas and we're almost to that limit. With the addition of one club forum and reserving one other we'll be completely full.

I hope to soon also have links to all the GT40 companies, along with a gallery section for owner cars. However, this will take a software upgrade and a lot of time. Don't look for it until the latter part of this year.

However, lots of people have asked how they can help and that is a good thing. The forum doesn't cost so much per year to run, currently about $500-$650 or so, but it will become more expensive in the future. We (I personally) do not want our site to be for profit, and I would like to avoid advertising. But it is clear we could use some donations from the users to make it a break even venture.

So, this is where folks that wish to donate something to the Forum have their chance. I think that if those that really like the forum pitch in say, $5 or so, we'll be in fine shape. This is purely "At Will".

For those that know my schedule you probably know that I travel a lot. For the first time since October of 2000, I've actually been at home for 2 straight weeks with no travel. And, the best part is I've been building the car and liking it a lot! Amazing what you can do with a couple of hours each night without having to figure out where you left off 3 weeks ago before you went to Germany, France, and Boston. At any rate, I'm excited about the cars and the Forum again and hope to get it infused with some neat stuff soon, not the least of which will be some pictures of my progressing build!

So, if you'd like to make a contribution it'll have to be directly to me, GT40s.com is not a LLC or Corp yet and I hope it doesn't really have to be. My info follows:

Ron Earp
408 Vintage Grove Lane
Apex NC 27502 USA

I'll kill the topic after a week or so so my address doesn't end up all over the place. I will be on a bit of vacation on my motorcycle in the Blue Ridge mountains until Sunday coming, hope to have a good time.

Take care all,

Ron

Addition:
PayPal

For those that wish to use it please use my wife's account. Used to be mine, we switched it when she started getting so many baby clothes on Ebay.

The address is:

[email protected] (Only for PayPal, if you need to talk to me use [email protected])

Thanks a bunch for the support folks,

Ron

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: R. Earp ]

[ May 14, 2002: Message edited by: R. Earp ]

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm on a mission, but not one like Hershals! He'll be working some late hours to meet the schedule, but no doubt he'll do it!

Ron

Other than Gordon, I dodn't know anyone built these things ona schedule. Anyway, be gald to help Ron. There is wealth of knowledge here that I will definitely take advantage of.

Ron, can you set up a PayPal account? That'd be easiest, otherwise I'll send you an old-fashioned check. Regarding the forum, you're doing a great job!

Regards,
Mark

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Ron, Mark's suggestion of a PayPal acct is a good one. This would let us foreigners send contibutions in "real money", as opposed to weird cheques in "banana republic" money (eg AUS$) !!

You work on the site has been hugely appreciated - enjoy the holiday !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.
smile.gif

G

Ron,

You know you can count on me to pitch in. Ditto everyone else's comments about the great job.

HEY, RON,

"THE CHECKS IN THE MAIL". GEEEZZZ!! I LOVE IT WHEN "I" GET TO SAY THAT.

JIM - I DON'T BELIEVE THAT THE IRS WILL LOSE ANY SLEEP OVER THIS. RON IS DOING THIS AS A HOBBY AND WE, AS MUTUAL BENEFICIARIES, ARE MERELY HELPING WITH EXPENSES.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK

Ron,

I'll send something off this weekend.

However, perhaps it's time we start thinking
about forming a real club, or a spinoff
from the GT40 Enthusiasts Club. Or, perhaps,
since this forum is linked the the GT40
Enthusiast's site, those of us who are not
already members can join, and the club
could send Ron $1 out of every membership
per year? Rough idea, but perhaps worth
discussing.

Ian

I have made Eric Smith, Chris Edwards and Brian Magee, Club Chairman, Secretary and Editor respectively aware of this thread...

Neil

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks for all the support so far, it will be helpful. Nothing better than working with a bunch of folks with a common interest and enthusiasm for similar goals.

Oh, by the way, images are now arranged for posting in the signatures, but I'll post a "How To" when I get back from the cycle trip/wedding (I'm the better man in this one).

Ron

MWGT40

Supporter
As a member of the GT40 Enthusiasts Club, I have to say that I wholeheartedly support the idea of rolling the forum into the club.

Lets face it, there aren't millions of us GT40 fanatics out there and a fragmented offering is simply a weaker offering. We are all interested in the same areas at the end of the day.

G

Ron,

You're doing a terrific job, and you've obviously filled a real need for info and discussion on these cars. Happy to send a few bucks your way.

Take care,

Tom T.

G

Seconded ... if you had a PayPal account us 'foreigners' (nnng) could contribute without being slaughtered for fees and associated banking banditry. Blue Ridge Mountains? sounds like heaven (or is that West Virginia - Olivia Newton John) - oh yeah, Laurel and Hardy in the Blue Ridge Mountains on the trail of the lonesome pine .... losing it fellas .. NURSE!

[ May 16, 2002: Message edited by: Bob Sparks ]

Back