GTD Renault Flywheel

Looking for 50 OZ Flywheel to send with My 302 Crank to have balanced for the spare motor. Anyone have one ??? Thanks Wally

Howard Jones

Supporter
Do you need a Ford 50oz flywheel? or do you want a reballanced V6 GTD wheel? I have a completely stock brand, never been used, new Ford standard 302 steel 50 oz flywheel that came on my crate motor. If you would want this I would be willing to sell it to you for 50% of the current Ford motor sports catalog price. You pay shipping.

HI I wish it were that simple as the 5.0 HO has a flywheel with it. ( won't fit in the Renault Bellhousing ) I'm looking for one of the V6 units. As I don't want to have to wait and take the one out of the car and have it rebalanced ( I hope this is a 28 OZ now ) Mike said it won't matter to him what it is to start with, So I guess any flywheel I can find would be OK . Are the one's from the V6 Mustang II engines the same as what GTD used ??? Thanks

Malcolm

Supporter
The GTD item I believe is a a 3 litre V6 flywheel. As found in transit vans etc. I don't know if GTD had them re balanced as part of their conversion to fit instead of standard 302 flywheels but they used to run Marine 302s as their standard engine so when I bought a GTD flywheel and put it on a car 302 and not a marine 302 I had to get mine rebalanced. I think it better to take time and get the balance right than to chuck a mismatched flywheel on an engine as the vibration will cause damage internally quite quickly. I beleive some flywheels had been balanced at 27 ounces so be sure of what you get if you really need a 50 ounce balanced wheel. The other thing to note is that the starter ring gears are quite hard to come by now. You will need to ensure your starter motor and ring gear mate up properly or you will strip the teeth or gear sooner or later.

Please forgive me for a slight thread highjack.

Acquired a 302W last week, and had fun trial fitting to the chassis at the weekend. Came with an auto drive plate/ring gear, which is quite obviously larger than the Renault bellhousing.

Can a kind person explain in simple terms how to attach one to the other? Reference is made above to smaller diameter flywheels, but I have seen no reference to relocating the starter motor.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but not sure what. At this stage I have a 302 bellhousing, and a Renault bellhousing (inverted), and a fair chance of glueing one to the other via a CNC machined plate welded between them, but have been unable to find any relevant info.

Any advice greatfully received.

Clive

I've got a GTD Flywheel, currently on a 302, also have an adapter plate and an R30 bell housing. You'll need all of the above to fit a UN-1 to a Ford 302. You can contact me at [email protected] if you like.

Regards, Chris

Mike Pass

Supporter
I have a new light steel flywheel from Mick Sollis at Southern GT that I had match balanced at 50oz and did not use as I adapted my original flywheel.. It has the drillings for the AP single organic clutch cover. It would need to be finally balanced or matched balanced to your motor to ensure smooth running.
Mike

HI Anyone have the Ford Part # for one of these Flywheels ( I can pull mine again if not )

Frank E-Mail sent , Thanks Wally

Back