Guns.

Some of you may have read about this...about a month ago, a homeowner and his wife were asleep in their home. They heard a loud noise like breaking glass. Afraid, the man took his shotgun, loaded with bird shot of course since he was just an occasional hunter, and started down the hallway from his bedroom door while his wife called 911. In the dark, a strange man appeared suddenly so the homeowner fired a poorly aimed shot while at the same time the intruder fired a handgun at him. The intruder then ran away. The homeowner was wounded, but not severely, and he and his family lived to tell the story. The police arrived 12 minutes later. The investgating officer was reported as saying that the type of person who enters occupied residences in the dark is the most dangerous type of criminal. He went on to state that the mere presence of the fired shotgun was the only reason that he believed that the family is alive today.
You can be sure that mine is loaded and ready at all times and not with birdshot.

Shotguns make for great home defense weapons. Just the sound of a Remington 870's action being racked is usually enough to make most intruders crap their pants and head for the exit.

For me personally, I could probably do without. Having a wife and two daughters, I am just too terrified of something happening that I am not prepared for. As has been said, better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Could I shoot someone as a soldier? Couldn't tell you, hope I never know. (I have the greatest respect for those who have fought for this country).

Could I shoot someone that broke into my house? Again, I won't know for sure until it happens, but I think I could without any issue. Want to take my stuff? Have at it. Endanger my family? Not while there is a speck of life left in me.

I have always wanted one of these:

Neostead

If you had to use it, it's got to be one of the best choices ever made. And just look at it...if there is any gun is a deterrent on sight alone, this has to be it.

Some of you may have read about this...about a month ago, a homeowner and his wife were asleep in their home. They heard a loud noise like breaking glass. Afraid, the man took his shotgun, loaded with bird shot of course since he was just an occasional hunter, and started down the hallway from his bedroom door while his wife called 911. In the dark, a strange man appeared suddenly so the homeowner fired a poorly aimed shot while at the same time the intruder fired a handgun at him. The intruder then ran away. The homeowner was wounded, but not severely, and he and his family lived to tell the story. The police arrived 12 minutes later. The investgating officer was reported as saying that the type of person who enters occupied residences in the dark is the most dangerous type of criminal. He went on to state that the mere presence of the fired shotgun was the only reason that he believed that the family is alive today.
You can be sure that mine is loaded and ready at all times and not with birdshot.

I think birdshot is pretty potent stuff at in-home ranges (unless you have a very long halls). Up close, that little shot just seems to disintegrate things. I couldn't imagine hitting someone point blank with a load of that stuff.

I think birdshot is pretty potent stuff at in-home ranges (unless you have a very long halls). Up close, that little shot just seems to disintegrate things. I couldn't imagine hitting someone point blank with a load of that stuff.

My father shot down a small tree with bird shot to make a point once when I was a boy. Cannot remember the specifics, I was very little. But I came away with a profound respect for the power of the shot gun.

I do remember that the tree didn't fall at first, it just plopped down on its own trunk. One section of the trunk was virtually vaporized.

Yeah, I have done that as well. One of the places I shoot is a clearing for power lines. There is small saplings that grow in the clearing and a properly placed and distanced shot can take the little trees right off the ground! And this is with a 20ga!

Back