Half Doors - Redux

I know this topic has been covered before and I've read all the prior discussions, but wanted to bring it up again. Apologies if this is a rehash for some. I'm sort of curious why this does not seem to have been done for any of the Superformance GT40's? Or maybe it has?

My quick research suggests a spare set of doors could be had for $3K-ish. With fabrication and paint, it seems well under $10K brings a near topless option to the GT40.

I'm wondering if the desire to be somewhat original-like has precluded anyone considering it. Or are there other technical roadblocks? Maybe two hard to swap/align the doors?

Any updated/recent thoughts on this appreciated. I'm debating ordering an extra set of doors with my car order.

- Jeffrey

Tornado do an option to make the door tops removable. I'm not sure if that kit could be fitted to the superformance but I'd be more tempted myself to go down that route than an entire spare set of doors.

Yep, I've seen the Tornado option - slick. I like the idea of removable/replaceable, but I think the extra engineering involved would considerably up the complexity of the project. I'd also like the windows/sides gone, not just the tops - I think that would be a significant engineering challenge. And, since there really is no place to carry a removable door/window combination, the practicality of removable/replaceable drops.

- Jeffrey

I think the issue would be in the QC at superformance.
I presume the door hinges are like the originals but I don't know how they're mounted in the door, if the door portion is identical (or adjustable) between doors (as different to on the chassis) then it should work, otherwise it's going to be very tricky.

Otherwise it's engineer something that allows you to remove the windows as well as the tops.

Safir figured this out 20 years ago. Two bolts hold the top of the door to the side of the door. It is not "tricky" whatsoever. The door top is an unstressed "lid" over your noggin.

SPF has considered it themselves - simply not enough interest.

Do some googling and you will come across the Safir cars with this top feature. I have attached one of the prettier ones.

Attachments

• toplessone.jpg
    toplessone.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 370
I have a poster of GT40s and as you can see the second car down on the left and third are both without tops.

Why not just buy a SPF door and cutoff the top? Such a waste I know and probably expensive. I like the look.

Randy

Attachments

• DSC00679.jpg
    DSC00679.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 222

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
This is not a "half door" setup but a true GT40 "Roadster" using original mold windscreen. This is an ERA that we have available. There is a Superformance GT Roadster under construction now here in the states. It is sometime off from completion but will basically replicate this concept. We supplied the tub for the SPF roadster and once completed the fabricators will be able to duplicate it.

Attachments

• Pitts 5-13 020 (1280x960).jpg
    Pitts 5-13 020 (1280x960).jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 239
  • Pitts 5-13 008 (1280x960).jpg
    Pitts 5-13 008 (1280x960).jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 224
  • Pitts 5-13 013 (1280x960).jpg
    Pitts 5-13 013 (1280x960).jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 220
Back