hand break . flywheel

G

can any one tell me which hand break cable to use on gtd set up. also have 302 and reno/box what fly wheel to use and where can i get one from ,and can set it up for me. oh buy the way thanks to this site have had some really good buys.

Andy, Suggest you contact the GTD club as these items typically show up rather frequently in the spares database. Brian

[ January 20, 2002: Message edited by: Brian ]

Hi Andy

The ford V6 fly wheel is the one used with the Renault box but you need to have your bottom end balanced.
Why? Because the small block V8 Ford is externally balanced 28 oz's. The late small blocks are more about 50 oz's.
The V6 fly wheel needs a new bolt patern in the centre to match the V8.
If I had to choose, I would get a stock V8 fly wheel and turn it down to take the V6 ring-gear and then have it balanced.

Chris

Hi Andy, I have been supplying parts and upgrades for 15 years for the GTD40. The best option for the flywheel and clutch option is a billet steel flywheel and an AP Racing organic clutch.The problem with the essex flywheel is it looks like a swiss cheese when its got three lots of holes drilled in it! It can crack.It is also cast.
Most early GTD's ran them and Renault clutches and they slipped after 2000 miles ( or before) It is a cheaper option, though not the safest or most practical.I can help with supply if you need it. Regards Mark

I used a Ford 302 flywheel turned down to accept the essex ring gear, and an AP 4 paddle plate, done over 5000 miles,doesn't slip and Ive had no problems

Roy, Yes that is another way to do it. I was Refering to the way GTD used to fit it. It was an Essex flywheel redrilled to take a standard Renault clutch so it would mate up to the input shaft on the Gearbox. The renault would then slip as the cover was not strong enuf to hold the organic plate, being about 1400lbs of clamping pressure. My AP Racing has 2400lb cp. On an organic plate thats plenty. I off a four and six paddle plate also, that makes your clutch like a switch. Though it can tighten your gearchanging.
All the best
Mark

Back