Heat extraction from under rear clip

Has anybody successfully used any sort of “fan assistance” to help cool the engine bay when moving slowly Or just after parking? When I owned my car I always used to open the rear clip as soon as I’d stopped, not as most people thought to show off my engine, but rather to stop it boiling over..
simon

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Please read post 9 here.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, on the DAX I fitted two of these pushing the air sown each side of the engine.

Manual switch on and off, when in traffic te firewall would get so hot you could not comfortable hold your hand on it, turn on the fans and in a minute or two the temperature of the firewall dropped comsiderably.

200 cubic feet of air per minute,each figure out how much air is under the rear clip, say 10 cubic feet, so that air is changed 20 times a minute!
ian

Brian Stewart
Supporter
I originally had fuel vapourisation issues when driving slowly on very hot days. Did very similar to what has been suggested above. i.e. installed a high volume fan to blow cool air around the engine. Turned on by a switch mounted behind my right shoulder on the bulkhead.

Have not had an issue since.

IMG_0446.jpg

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I also saw a car about 15 years back that has grafted / mounted 2 by 8 inch fans on the inside of the side scoops.

Chuck and Ryan mounted some fans similar to mine in their GT40 but did it wit more finesse than me. Details should be in their build thread, and I believe they even had them thermostatically switched.

Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Back