Hello to all from Doug Sainlar!! I need help with a long term project (read below)

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Good day to all fron Doug Sainlar, it sure has been a long time since I've posted here but you can expect to hear more from me in the future. I"M BACK!!!
Here's what's up this time around....you may or may not remember that I had a red GT40 with white stripes down the hood...I hope that brings back some memories. The damage from the accident was minor...it ruined the header on the passenger side, but the driver's side is still intact. The engine was a 289 CID ford with a common 4-barrel carb, but this time I think I want to go with a dual-quad arrangement. The passenger side header is useless....damaged in that litlle unfortunate encounter.
I've also reloacated....I'm now living in Austin, Texas. It's a pretty large city, so I'm certain there'll be someplace that can weld me up a new set of headers (or there may be some available online), either way the project will take some time. I'll keep y'all (that's Texan for "you all") posted on the project as time allows.
Cheers :)

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I forgot to mention that I had purchased the lifetime membership you offered waaaaaay back. Please try to locate that. It was purchased a few months after my enrollment on the forum.
Thanks, again!!!!!

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks, Brian! I'm anxious to start soon, but I have a few issues that will postpone that....a move from Texas to Kansas is the least of them. I now have a daughter (she's in her 30's, so you can do the math to find out how old Iam....my dob is 12/30/1948)
TTFN!!! (that means "Ta-Ta for now!)
I'm headed to bed, catch ya later.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I forgot to mention that I had purchased the lifetime membership you offered waaaaaay back. Please try to locate that. It was purchased a few months after my enrollment on the forum.
Thanks, again!!!!!
Doug - your status shows you as a Lifetime Supporter ((thank you!)) - so if you have any needs regarding that - please let us know!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Doug - refresh my memory… Who was the mfgr of your Cobra replica?
also - dual quads on the 289 is doable, but make sure that your manifold has a shared plenum between the carbs and that you have progressive linkages. This way you can run off of one carb until you open it up.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Doug - refresh my memory… Who was the mfgr of your Cobra replica?
also - dual quads on the 289 is doable, but make sure that your manifold has a shared plenum between the carbs and that you have progressive linkages. This way you can run off of one carb until you open it up.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Ron, I bought my Cobra from an individual.....it never occurred to me that I might need to know who manufactured it or where.
I don't think mine has a VIN plate...but, I'm having the good fortune to be making a trip to my old hometown from which I was so active
in the past. The Cobra is in a garage I own there and I'll take a look at it.
Re: the Dual quads...it never dawned on me to make it a progressive issue, I just figured it was foot to the floor and don't raise it until there's a reason to slow down or stop.....thank you for the idea, I'm certain it will make a difference in the way the car drives.....I had thought about a tri-power intake (3
2 barrel carbs), but I could see how that would be difficult to tune for maximum performance. If I did that, do you think the carbs would be sequential like the 2x.....but maybe a 3x progressive setup would be would be doable\?
Somehow I get the idea this is much more complicated than I had suspected....and even more confusing. I'm certain!
Onward, through the fog!!!
TTFN!!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Post up some photos of your Cobra - particularly under the front bonnet / good & bad sides. You never know, we may be able to get your car identified so we can help you find the right parts.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Hey Doug, I'm about an hour from you down I35 in New Braunfels. We should get together for a beer and BS session. I'm going to be pretty busy the next few weeks as I have both cars in pieces and am a few weeks away from installing a new motor in my SLC. But after that either I can drive up to you or you are of course welcome at my home. I'll keep an eye on this thread and if you like, I'll send you a PM with my contact info. If you do the same then I can plan a trip up to you.

Anyway, let me have a think about making headers. I'll ask around and see what I can find out. By the way, do you have the old bent header still? You would be surprised what can be fixed.

Howard

Back