Help - GT40 Space Frame Drawings and Plans

Has anyone bought or seen the quality of any of the plans from Project Diablo?

Project Diablo - Your inteernet sorce for supercars blueprints

They want $159.99 for:

More than 80 pages usefull information. More than 70 body patterns. Short description of the process of molding. High quality photoes. Full technical specification. A CD with the complete 3D model of the car in 3D Max and Autocad format. Also including dashboard, seats, etc. Frame design included only with this car.

Btw, those jpgs come from an autocad drawing which is (or was) floating round the net.

Druid

Their Enzo body is not too bad. I have a full modelled Ferrari FXX body (Enzo semi-racing version), and the profiles at each station shown in the preview are not too far off.

As for the GT40, looks like they've just dressed up the info that was available freely on the net a couple of years ago.

If you can use CAD, there are much cheaper ways to get the body shape info, though I wouldn't mind reading all the other info (I think generalised body production data) you get with it. Just out of curiosity!

I'm not sure that it would be cheaper, certainly not in time.

By the time you've bought a model (and decent 1/18 or bigger GT40's are both few and far between and not cheap), measured it (accurately) and then built a (CAD) model anyway. I mean its £120 for the plans and £130 for a decent 1/18 model (£125 for the 1/12 build it yourself Trumpeter). Although if you buy the model at least you get something to stick in the display cabinet. :laugh:

I don't suppose its any 'easier' to build the body itself no matter how you get the initial design though.

Druid

Last edited:
Fred, your chassis is my favourite on this whole forum!

The other way to get the CAD file is to just buy a 3D model from one of many websites around. They have just about every car, but be careful, some are much better quality - and correct in detail, than others. Like this...

3d model Ford GT40 Automobile max by DeEspona

Depending on what platform you use (Inventor, Solidworks, etc) you'll have the full 3D model to slice up start making your car!

Question:
When one decides to build a spaceframe from scratch, do you build a jig to hold all the metal pieces in their correct position while welding it all together to avoid distortion?

-Will

It really depends on your design, ideally yes but if you do it right then you don't need one. You may need a number of 'small' jigs to make up assemblies.

Build your own Sports Car - ISBN: 1 85960 636 9 ( and the second edition ISBN: 1 84425 391 0) while for a Lotus 7 type design car gives an lot of "how to" and goes through the nitty gritty of creating a scratchbuild.

What it doesn't cover however is designing a chassis[1], the book 'gives' you one that you can modify as apropriate to the size engine you are using.

Hardest thing IMO about a scratchbuild is getting the suspension right, if I ever actually do it I'd look to take as much as possible from an existing car and duplicate what someone else has spent a lot of time working out! For example take the entire subframe assembly off something[2] (or somethings) and replicate the suspension mounts in the space frame. Depends of course on your budget and how 'accurate' you want to be.

Druid

[1] Or creating complex bodywork.
[2] Find something RWD, double wishbone front with front steer, multi-link rear, good handling, good brakes and relatively cheap. In an ideal world same track and wheelbase but that's pushing it.

Last edited:
There is quite a bit to consider whan doing a scratchbuild, I ve posted the below before here somewhere

Starting out advice - midengined scratch build<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
A friend of mine who is not big on literature research is talking about starting a scratch build mid-engined full body sports/race car project, and in conversation with him I am reminded of things I have learnt during the process of my build so far. I note below some of my thoughts on how to approach a project like this. I understand that the below is spelt out in much greater detail in various excellent books and websites, and is being discussed on other threads, I note it here as a summarized version. If I had followed these recommendations when I started, I would have saved myself considerable time, hassle and expense.<o:p></o:p>
When starting out at least do the following, in this order: <o:p></o:p>
Decide what the car is going to look like, i.e what body shell, if not original. This also determines wheel base dimension and the width over wheels. i.e determine the wheel positions.<o:p></o:p>
If original body, decide on at least the front and rear track, wheel base can be adjusted.<o:p></o:p>
Decide on what tyres you will use, exact width and profile, and procure if you are serious.<o:p></o:p>
Decide on what hubs/uprights/steering rack you will use and procure/make if you are serious <o:p></o:p>
Decide on what rims/offset you will use and procure if you are serious<o:p></o:p>
Decide on what engine and transmission you will use and procure if you are serious.<o:p></o:p>
Position all above parts on garage floor or build table and sort ergonomics – where do you fit?<o:p></o:p>
If you are going to draw up in cad, finalize the position of all above parts in your model only now.<o:p></o:p>
All the above could be an iterative process, but please complete it BEFORE you start the chassis.<o:p></o:p>
Design suspension – if you are not going to do the research to enable you to do this yourself the only options are:<o:p></o:p>
Get someone else to do it for you<o:p></o:p>
Copy an existing car, strictly only valid if using that cars uprights/hubs/wheels/tyres.<o:p></o:p>
Guess<o:p></o:p>
Once you know where the inner suspension points are, you can design the chassis, to accommodate all above. CAD / balsa model / cut and tack on build table are all valid methods, but best results would be obtained by combining them. Please do not start with a Locost chassis and try to modify it to accommodate a RWD drive train.<o:p></o:p>
Cheers<o:p></o:p>
Fred W B<o:p></o:p>

Absolutely and one of the reasons why dispite wanting to build a GT40 for >10 years I've still done nothing more than plan.

As a clarification when I say 'duplicate someone else' I mean to lift the entire suspension assembly, uprights, wheels, rack etc and mount in exactly the same (relative) place. I'd also suggest that if possible to lift as much as you can from one car and to start off with a damaged version to pick all those fiddly bits and pieces off otherwise it gets real expensive real quick.

I've already picked my frontend donor and engine donor and plan to buy both as whole cars (ideally both rear crash damaged ;) ) and then sell what I don't need. If I'm really lucky selling the bits and pieces will pay for the rest of the car but I'm not holding my breath for that.

What I can't decide on is the rear donor. The rear of the front donor I have in mind *is* multilink but a very different layout to the GT40 and hard to relocate the shock to a similar layout. This image isn't actually the same car I have in mind (I can't find any online) but its the same design just its lower powered cousin.
25-08-2007017.jpg

The locost _is_ RWD but I know what you mean. Its a Front Engined, RWD design using the tunnel to provide a large amount of stiffness and designed for (relatively) low powered engines. The GT40 is Mid Engined RWD with high power (or at least torque) and no drive tunnel. Very very different designs and (as you say) no way to modify one to the other.

Druid

Last edited:
A few years ago I down loaded what I think are the same plans.
They are with a white background rather than the dark.
Might be easy'r to copy and inlarge ?
I have them in two zip files.
I think a bit large to post here.
So rather than take up a lot of space.
If some one wants a copy of them ?
Give me a shout and I'll send them direct to you.

Cheer's

Curtis

Hi Curtis

Could I have a copy of them to?

[email protected]

Sent !

Guy's just PM, or email me for these.
That way we don't use up forum space.

Thanks, Curtis

Hi ,

These are some pics Ive collected...Ive looked through this thread, and I dont think they have been posted before

I do have a few more..That I can post on here, or email to anyone that is intrested....

I know there is not many dimensions on them....But Im sure they will help anyone doing a scratch build

mick

Attachments

• GT40KVACrear.jpg
    GT40KVACrear.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,965
  • chassis3.jpg
    chassis3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,826
  • GT40KVACplan.jpg
    GT40KVACplan.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,141
  • GT40KVACsusp.jpg
    GT40KVACsusp.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 2,047
  • panel_a_small.jpg
    panel_a_small.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,881
  • 72805-scan.jpg
    72805-scan.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,974

Integrator

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hello Friends

According to Chris Melia's posts I did a solid study of GT40 chassis. What are your opinion? Is it correct or not ? It is a quick study but most dimensions are true. If someone wants to use this I can share everything no problem. But I couldn't place the suspension parts. Can anyone help me about that ?

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,507
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,394
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,259
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg