Help - GT40 Space Frame Drawings and Plans

I have purchased an untouched GT40 kit. Lots of bits, fortunately the kit has not been worked on yet. There is a chassis I am not happy with and suspention parts I am not happy with.

Are there any drawings of a good chassis/suspention available to purchase. We have a large race community, i would like to set my car up for racing. I have a competition clutch and racing rotors and calipers. I have a 302 that will be worked to get max HP. I have the Audi box that I will change to a Porche box.

Please any help or advice will be most welcome.

Re: Any help please

Hi Ron,

In SA there was a company called KIT CAR centre, they produced a complete kit and sold around 30 of these cars. I believe it is a very accurate representation of the Lemans car.

The chassis was never a good example, a few where used after work was done on them to strengthen in places( this I plan to do). The suspention is no good that is for certain. I am not worried about the chassis as this being steel can and will be modified to suit a good suspention.

I want to put a racing suspention on the car. Are there any drawings etc I can work off of to achieve my goal?

Thanks

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Ah, the search for the elusive chassis plans! If you find any good ones I'm sure lots of people would be interested.

However if you're looking for plans for a race chassis and race suspension you'll probably have to do your own. There is this thread though with lots of photos of a strengthened chassis and tricky race suspension. Could be a good place to start.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/22164-rf-117-a.html

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Mike Pass

Supporter

Check out the Hitech (SPF) chassis and the CAV - both local to you and very good monocoque chassis. Start with a good base and you won't be disappointed!
Cheers
Mike

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Hi
Back in 1990 I visited Kit Car Center in the garage next to Pick and Pay Hypermarket near Jan Smuts.

I drooled over their demo car for ages but did not have the Rand25000 they wanted for the kit!

If you look in old copies of the south African CAR magazine for 1988 - 1990 you should see their adverts.

Now from what I have learnt since - this was a copy of the KVA - including a KVA body that was being produced out there - some I believe are even based on the old Cortina front sub frame and even more ended up with the 3l Ford V6.

If this is the case on yours the center section should be fair and you could graft on a front and rear from someone still in production (Southern GT for example)

Or it could be worth while buying another manufacturer's space frame and start from there. I also believe there is still a one man band in the PWV area who will build a chassis for you - but his name escapes me!

I'm sure you will get a lot more information from the crowd here

Ian

Thank you all for the info. Yes the front was based on the Granada or some form of ford front suspension. I have all of this, I will be throwing it away as it will not be right for what I want to use it for.

At Swartkops saturday we had 15 international drivers, they blew my mind with the driving skills of the 8 GT40's racing. After chatting to a few it was clear to me that the the way they went is the way to go. Of course it is a great secret. I will keep you posted on the outcome of my progress.

Thank you for the welcome to the forum.

So here I am still no futher, seem all is a big secret. This is probibly why I have heard of so many failures when it comes to building these cars.

What sort of kit is it? That would help us help you.

Hi Kevern -

As Ron says, what sort of kit is it? do you have any photos? - if you can narrow down the field a bit, there are plenty of people on here with loads of knowledge that would be willing to give good advice and opinion.

BUT - as there have been so many manufacturers of GT40 replica, an idea of what you're starting with would get more response.

Welcome to the forum....:)

I will get onto the pics etc asap. Mine is a single nostril Kit CAr centre body. I plan to go indipendant suspension on a cladded space frame. The Chassis it is on at the moment is designed for the Cortina suspension front and rear. I have a 302 v8 with the Audi box.

Mike Pass

Supporter

Sounds like an early KVA chassis. They used a complete Cortina front axle (with subframe etc.)with pressed steel wishbones. They had a sort of home made looking trailing arm setup at the rear. I have attached a pic which is very similar to the early KVA front.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• GT40 Cortina  front.jpg
    GT40 Cortina front.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 5,132

Mike thats it. I have all the cortina bits including the rear that you speak about. I prefer not to use these bits, rather a new space frame chassis and a indipendant suspension. Those small square tubes at the front attach onto the front of the car for the tilt function. With my limited knowledge the large square upright in the middle is a weak point as it will flex for sure. I suppose I will be able to modify that chassis for indipendant suspention. This is where I am stuck as I have nothing to work from in order to set the front and rear suspention up. I could purchase a set of wheels and tyres including the knock on hubs then work back from there. The problem is I have no clue. I can buy parts from various vendors, just none of the good bits I.E. the bits that bolt onto the uprights. I have identified rotors and calipers locally, that are currently being used locally on the GT40s manufactured in SA. Is there anyone out there that has attempted what i am proposing?

Thanks again Mike

PS for some reason I have a particularily good body to work with which is a positive

Ron Earp

Admin

There might be some good information on KVAs in the archives of the GT40 Enthusiasts Club or with other organizations that have been around for a good while. I'd ask around with the English user base on the forum as most of the KVAs will reside there I'd imagine.

Thank you for the info. I will google all the KVA info I can get. I am off to London on Tuesday, perhaps I will give a few chaps a call. I still am tending towards a complete new space frame and a modern style independant suspention to suit my body.
THANKS again,

kevern

Kevern,
If you are contemplating a new space frame chassis, you MUST give Mick Sollis at Southern GT a call when you are in London. His number is 01489 789143 (day). If you can get down to see him near Southampton, so much the better.
There is a good chance that his chassis could fit your body. If you take lots of photographs and some measurements, he will be able to tell you.
Tony

Hi guys

I found these on the web years ago, I don't know were? I cannot guarantee their accuracy but they do look ok.

Hope this is cool with everyone, just trying to help a guy out.
Regards

Chris.

Attachments

• GT40 Frame 01.jpg
    GT40 Frame 01.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 10,240
  • GT40 Frame 02.jpg
    GT40 Frame 02.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 11,013
  • GT40 Frame 03.jpg
    GT40 Frame 03.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 8,648
  • GT40 Frame 04.jpg
    GT40 Frame 04.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 7,931
  • Gt40 Frame Side View.jpg
    Gt40 Frame Side View.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 17,477
  • GT40 BOM01.jpg
    GT40 BOM01.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 6,730
  • GT40 BOM02.jpg
    GT40 BOM02.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 6,129

Some more

Attachments

• GT40 Section A.jpg
    GT40 Section A.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 6,138
  • GT40 Section B.jpg
    GT40 Section B.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 6,158
  • GT40 Section C.jpg
    GT40 Section C.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 6,366
  • GT40 Section D.jpg
    GT40 Section D.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 10,043
  • GT40 Section E.jpg
    GT40 Section E.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 6,274
  • GT40 Section F.jpg
    GT40 Section F.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 5,944

Attachments

• SectionA.jpg
    SectionA.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 5,554
  • SectionB.jpg
    SectionB.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 4,889
  • SectionC.jpg
    SectionC.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 5,032
  • SectionD.jpg
    SectionD.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 5,015
  • SectionE.jpg
    SectionE.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 5,945
  • SectionF.jpg
    SectionF.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 5,014
  • Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 6,985

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor

Kevern

If you are after a new chassis I am sure we can help you out.

If you are in London give me a call on 01562 820372.

Thanks

Andy

Back