Help me adjusting the parking brake on my SPF

I just failed the road worthiness test with my SPF for the 2nd time, because the parking brake does not have enough braking force.

For the 2nd test, i actually adjusted the set screws for the brake pads just before the test so that the brakes were rubbing slightly even before the brake handle was pulled. It helped a bit but not enough.

My car has Girling brakes and separate mechanical hand brake calipers.

Any tips for resolving this?

Last edited:

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Dan,

You write "mechanical hand brake calipers"? What brand? can you post some pictures?

One potential root cause - see post #10:

Last edited:
Was just about to add the photos. I do not know the brand though.
IMG_7049.jpeg
IMG_7048.jpeg
IMG_7047.jpeg

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Pretty sure that those are wilwood mechanical Spot calipers

If you do a forum search about them you will find out that they are not too good, especially for European road worthiness test.....
One example here about their performance:

There are more thread about this....

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
You could make an extension on your handbrake handle inside cockpit. This will give you more pulling force.

Which handbrake handle do you have?

Good luck

morten

You could make an extension on your handbrake handle inside cockpit. This will give you more pulling force.

Which handbrake handle do you have?

Good luck

morten

I have the normel SPF handbrake handle and donˆt relly want to mess the cockpit looks up. I was thinking that extending the lever on the caliper would increase the force as well. Just have to check wether there is enough pull length in the cable to aloow for a longer lever travel.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
I have the normel SPF handbrake handle and donˆt relly want to mess the cockpit looks up. I was thinking that extending the lever on the caliper would increase the force as well. Just have to check wether there is enough pull length in the cable to aloow for a longer lever travel.

Check pics for extended lever on the caliper...

Check pics for extended lever on the caliper...

Thanks Markus. I was thinking along the same lines. Also need to find some new brak pads for them in Euirope preferably

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Check out Chuck and Ryan's RCR Build thread for adjustment tips

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Handbrake lever extension unbolts with setscrews after the inspection, then you can refit back to original.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
E3F9A730-633A-4799-BC7D-FFAC2BC6DBC6.jpeg
160048FA-C926-435B-B455-63DCF1A7492B.jpeg

This is out on ebay, and its a long lever. Good leverage on this one. Its the same as was used under the dash on a few original GT40s.
Only for info, no affiliation to the add.

Good luck,
Morten

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
EC8AC997-31FD-44DC-9EFD-9A6C9FE64E9C.jpeg

This is a pic of one of my cars in build. You can use Wilwood MC-4 calipers. They bite good. It should be a fairly straight forward job. Need to make an adapter plate to fit it though.

Hope this helps.
Morten

This is is a pic of one of my cars in build. You can use Wilwood MC-4 calipers. They bite good. It should be a fairly straight forward job. Need to make an adapter plate to fit it though.

Hope this helps.
Morten

That certainly helps. I was looking at those the other day and wondering whether they would fit. Now I have to find a dealer for them in Europe.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Here’s an option

Right & Left side.

Back