Help on throttle cable hookup.

As you can see in the attached picture, the end of my throttle cable has a 90 dagree ferrell on it. I need to connect this to the throttle on the manifold as shown in the second picture. The problem is that I cannot find anything that connects to the ferrell and would allow me to conect to the throttle arm.

I checked with Lokar and was told about a universal part that I could use but it would require cutting the ferrell off of the cable and inserting the cable end into this part were it would be held with a set screw. My concern is the set screw slipping and the cable being pulled out at a bad time.

Any suggestions?

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0193.JPG
    IMG_0193.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 464

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
How about soldering an appropriate fitting that would be more secure to the cable (after removing the offending ferrell) and then attaching it to the Lokar piece? If I recall correctly, throttle cables are fairly easy to attach to with solder (did it once on a motorcycle throttle cable and had no problems with it for a long time).

Just a thought.

I hesitate to mention it, but perhaps sourcing a different throttle cable and fishing it through the tunnel might be a better idea. Sure sounds like a lot of work, though.

Doug

Lokar makes a cable end w/ 2 set screws I used one my Cobra never had a problem, but soldering would be a better way to go.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Peter, you seem to be missing the throttle cable pulley under the bell-crank (see attached pics of a standard RF / DC&O setup). I'm not sure how the end of the cable is secured to the pulley wheel - perhaps just a section filed out of the rim to accept your 90deg ferrule ?

My feeling is that a pulley is better than having the cable just pull on one of the bell-crank ears as you get a linear relationship between the pedal & the butterfly positions. With the direct pull on a bell-crank ear, you will probably get an over-sensitive throttle near idle, & can expect some wear on the cable as it changes direction out of the cable-sheath according to throttle position.

Another advantage of the pulley setup is that you could use a "reducing radius" pulley to give you a low "gear ratio" near idle, but a smooth transition to a faster pull near WOT. You would still get a bit of cable wear, but I am looking into changing mine like this as I have limited pedal travel.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• DCP_0402.jpg
    DCP_0402.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 338
  • DCP_0403.jpg
    DCP_0403.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 385
Peter,

Peter D is correct on all points. You will need the pulley, or the pedal effort

will be massive. Your cable cable end should lock into a notch in edge of the

pulley. With the pulley in place, you will be able to get get 270º or more of

smooth pull, pretty much guaranteeing you full range of cable motion from

idle to WOT. Once you have tensioned the cable (at idle) from the pedal end,

The cable end (at the pulley) will stay put in the notch.

My TWM setup also had a bracket in that held the cable sheath in place.

This would be a good idea, if you don't have one already, to keep the pulling

point static, and to avoid the off chance of the cable jumping out of the

pulley groove.

Bill

Last edited:
Back