Help with engine choice.

Ron Earp

Admin
I think Jac Mac's Avatar has that LS7/GT40 concept covered :D

Attachments

2.9 KB · Views: 467
Hmm

The Gt40 spirit. Most replicas out there have a space frame chassis, or a stainless monocoque or an ally monocoque. The great thing about the spirit of the 40 is that we each are able (within cost parameters since most of us can't afford an original) to define it in our own way. My path is RCR with the best ally V8 block I can afford (plus Kinsler stack) which happens to be the LS7. To my mind it captures the spirit of a 40 just as much as a space framed car with , say, a Roush ally block which actually has just about zip in common with a Ford engine other than the historic link. To each his own. However I would draw the line at any form of forced induction or multi cam screamers as my "spirit" would exclude them.

Its impossible, I suppose, to define exactly what the GT40 spirit is. However words like stunning looks, good handling, bags of power, iconic status, excellent race record, driven in period by the greats, stunning looks and stunning looks and another dose of iconic are words that come to mind.

Appologies if this is thread drift

Best wishes with your chosen dream

John

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey John,

don't take it personally and on explanation needed. Some of us are dyed Ford blue and just can't change!

I think the bowtie LS series motors are fantastic engines. I wish Ford had not canceled their pushrod program. World is making some big Ford power on their new engines using LS style ports, just as much or more than the LS motors. But they aren't emissions certified engines and all of that good stuff. Amazing the 7L Chevy does all of that, 500+ hp, and in a street engine with good manners.

R

Nothing personal, but the title is Help with engine choice and excluding a LS7 engine in the discussion is just wrong. It is by far the BEST engine for any car of this type GT40, Ultima, etc. You cannot make a Ford push rod engine do what it can do for any amount of money. And as for spirt, the GT40 with the exception of the Mark 4's more English then America.

John

Each to their own I say. NONE of these cars will ever be an original, whatever the budget or depth of pocket. Some may be very close, some not so, but to each owner/builder/dreamer, they ALL capture the spirit of the original concept in their own way.

They are all used differently, some love the build and will possibly never finish, some thrash them, some polish them but they are all cherished in one way or another. Nothing wrong with any of use, whatever floats your boat so to speak.

Roy Smart's 40s have been Ford.

Tony Marsh's is twin turbo Rover. (now that I'd like to try!)

Cosi's is Twin Turbo Ford. (If I ever visit down-under would love to view!)

Dave's R42 is Chevy (Driven that - very good indeed)

as is Julian Bailey-Watt's GTD40. (looks a blast!)

All are awesome! - I've just received video of JBW at Santa Pod recently and he's lighting the tyres all the way up the quarter! (will post some once converted)

Finally, I've seen the spec for John Lowe's Chevy RCR and it's gonna be a beast! I really look forward to seing that running and hopefully on track too.

Bottom line, providing they have 8 cylinders, ALL Motors are appropriate in my opinion, each will bring a smile sooner or later.:) (and possibly a few tears along the way:()

Sorry for slight deviation / waffle....:eek:

Last edited:
Peter Brock recently told me he is building a LS7 SPF Daytona coupe and it will no doubt be fantastic, however, I cannot see a Chevy motor in a cobra, daytona or GT40. I just cannot get past that. One in the Ultima or GTM seems perfect however. I do not begrudge anyone for choosing the bowtie, just not for me.

Jac ,

I have a few LS7's for SLC customers...

$11,500...505hp...tough to beat with a GM warranty....:D,

More available if anyone is interested...

Attachments

• ls7 005 (Small).jpg
    ls7 005 (Small).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 400
  • ls7 007 (Small).jpg
    ls7 007 (Small).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 463
Jac ,

I have a few LS7's for SLC customers...

$11,500...505hp...tough to beat with a GM warranty....:D,

More available if anyone is interested...

Thanks for the offer Fran , but I think the guy in question has been bitten once too often! going to replace it with a FORD, no warranty required,,,,:D :D

Jac Mac

Peter Brock recently told me he is building a LS7 SPF Daytona coupe and it will no doubt be fantastic, however, I cannot see a Chevy motor in a cobra, daytona or GT40. I just cannot get past that. One in the Ultima or GTM seems perfect however. I do not begrudge anyone for choosing the bowtie, just not for me.

He did and it was until he spanked it into a tree over a year ago. Peter Brock R.I.P.

Quote from another website on the Form V GM decision "Same shit, different bucket".

I used to have a job in a car parts factory in the UK we made parts for many auto makers from all over the world (don't think we did any Japanese). They came off the same machines to the same quality whoever it was for. If you think brand X is genetically better than Y then the Ad men have fed you their corporate BS well.

An old classic (much like me'self I suppose:confused:)

A piece of tin
A length of chord
Put it together
And there's a FORD

(Byron?)

Just joining in on the thread drift.

John

Back