Here are some pics of the RCR Superlite Build

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Looking great Ernie.....

nice job.....not too sure about your new white driving suit though...could get a little warm in Florida...

is it my imagination or is the rear wing on this SLC lower and less pronounced than the RCR show car? It looks lower to me.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Ernie reported that he had some braking issues ....

He installed some Brembo calipers and floating rotor's from a C5 race set up he has used on one of his Corvettes but experienced some bad braking chatter.

As yet he has not come back to me with his findings....wrong pad compound, rotor run out???...unfortunate but that is what track testing is all about...and not every change works first time out...

We have had no such issues with the stock setup so I expect it will a simple issue to resolve.

The car was quick but he could not exploit its potential ...he was also running a new engine due to having to swap engines when one expired on the dyno...

I have not had chance to talk with him much this week as we are very busy at the shop....

Last edited:
Sorry about taking so long to respond. Yes the car ran very well but we did get some brake chatter under hard braking which made it uneasy to drive the car at full speed. The handling was awesome and wished we could have pushed it harder. The car is back in our shop but we have not had a chance to check if it came from the pads not set to the floating rotors. I will try this week to remove the wheels to check the pads and rotors. I will also post some pics from the track and video on my website soon.

We hope to get everything done before our next test session the 1st week of Jan at Homestead International Speedway. Wish us luck.

Ernie
www.BreathlessPerformance.com

Ernie,
Thanks for the hospitality and opportunity to crawl all over your car last Sunday!
MUCH appreciated.

Jack Molleur

No problem, glad your were able to go over it. Sorry I could not spend more time with you but we had 7 other customer track support cars we had to keep running, plus our track corvette. You are always welcome to stop by our facility to see the car. We are planning on running at homestead the first week of Jan and if the brake issue is taken care of I would be glad to take you for a ride.

Ernie

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
No problem, glad your were able to go over it. Sorry I could not spend more time with you but we had 7 other customer track support cars we had to keep running, plus our track corvette. You are always welcome to stop by our facility to see the car. We are planning on running at homestead the first week of Jan and if the brake issue is taken care of I would be glad to take you for a ride.

Ernie

^
Wished I lived closer!! I'd be out there to check it out, and maybe get a ride too. LOL

Ernie,

Your gonna need an appointment calendar for rides!!

As you are doing your tests, would it be possible to record the effective airflow through your NACAs? Perhaps you could set up a fan in your shop (Hillbilly wind-tunnel!) and measure inlet/outlet airspeeds with a hand-held anemometer. I would like to do the NACA inlets if they are effective as well. I also like the air inlet for the intake. I didn't get a good look but I assume you have a cowling fashioned on the under-surface of the hood. Could you take a close-up photo?

Overall, a very nice job!!

Doc

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ernie - you and the boys have done a magnificent job.... Looking forward to hearing the latest reports from the track!

Dear Ernie:

Wow, this is really something! :)

I see that others have questions about your SL-C's air managment, viz:
As you are doing your tests, would it be possible to record the effective airflow through your NACAs? Perhaps you could set up a fan in your shop (Hillbilly wind-tunnel!) and measure inlet/outlet airspeeds with a hand-held anemometer.

I am very curious about another aspect of your car's aerodynamics: the roof-top scoop. Here is a photo from your website.

SuperliteWeb15.jpg

I assume (and yes, I do know what "assume" means :) that the rooftop scoop supplies air to the engine.

If it does, do you have any problems with getting enough air through the rooftop scoop because of boundary-layer problems?

Thanks a lot! This is great!

Bassanio et Portia :)

Dear Ernie:

Wow, this is really something! :)

I see that others have questions about your SL-C's air managment, viz:

I am very curious about another aspect of your car's aerodynamics: the roof-top scoop. Here is a photo from your website.

SuperliteWeb15.jpg

I assume (and yes, I do know what "assume" means :) that the rooftop scoop supplies air to the engine.

If it does, do you have any problems with getting enough air through the rooftop scoop because of boundary-layer problems?

Thanks a lot! This is great!

Bassanio et Portia :)

For some reason I remember that duct being for HVAC not the engine?

That roof scoop continues through to the engine bay. Yes, you can have aircraft style vents to feed air into the cockpit.

The position of that roof scoop was designed to reduce the effect of boundary layer issues. That is why the roof scoop is located at the front of the roof section. If it was further back on the roof it would be a lot less effectual.

I just love the look of Ernie's car. Man it is hot.

Back