Here or BAT to sell SLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

Supporter
For those of you that have sold or bought an SLC or GT40, do you recommend here or BAT? This forum is specific for these cars but the handling of payment, seeing the car etc is sort of cumbersome. Where as BAT is a set time limit, payment held in escrow, back up buyers etc. Time for me to let go of my SLC.

Why not both for traffic reasons? Post it here, sell it there. Escrow and backup buyers certainly makes it easier and limits it to more serious inquiries.

Kyle

Supporter
I more than likely will, I’m not really sure what I’m asking. I know if I post here buyers can avoid large fees. However I’m sure BAT will see a lot of traffic. Either way my subscription ran out here, so either $50 here to post it or $100 there. Hmm.

I see. Well, not to sound harsh, but you want the best price and don’t owe anything to the buyer other than a truthfully represented car. So whichever gets you the best price would seem like the best choice.

I have to think that people who are looking for an SL-C know where to find one (here or through Fran). I'd try to sell it here and put the buyer premium at BAT towards your asking price.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Unless something has recently changed, BaT does not hold any money in escrow, at completion of the auction buyer and seller are put in contact to consummate the sale. All BaT does is list the auction and take the 5% buyers fee (capped at $5k). BaT also chooses which cars it sells, not all make the cut, and I have heard they are quite aggressive on reserves as they want the car to sell.
I personally believe there is often value left on the table for kits or replicas at online auction as it is really hard to determine build quality from photos.

The lead time for BaT is supposedly 4 to 6 months right now assuming they accept your car at all. I am struggling to think you own an SLC and are debating the expenditure of $50? to sell it.

Kyle

Supporter
Lol. Good lord people. Some of you have been here a long time. Clearly you know the difference between an online auction and a positing. An online auction essentially will force a sale depending on reserve price, why? Because you’re given a time limit. I can list here and the car may sit for months on end, could the same thing happen on BAT? Yes it could, however, it sort of pushes a buyer that may be on the edge into making a quicker decision. This was never a question of can I afford to list, it was more of a what is going to get me the greatest exposure, best price, and most painless sale.

There’s two things new to me. 1. I didn’t know BaT had a lead time? I guess I need to contact them, cause I’m struggling to understand why a site that hosts online auctions would have delays. 2. I guess I was sort of aware they didn’t hold escrow, but I do think they help negotiate payment terms and routes etc.

The truth is I don’t want or need to sell the car. But I have a Coupe 65 on the way and it sure would be nice to free up the space. This has been a daily internal debate. That being said, I will more than likely list here first at my price point that reflects my aversion to sell. If someone wants it, great, if not, no big deal.

You're selling a component vehicle .... unless you plan to fire sale it it will be a long drawn-out painful process to get the value you want out of it, regradless of where you post it.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Lol. Good lord people. Some of you have been here a long time. Clearly you know the difference between an online auction and a positing. An online auction essentially will force a sale depending on reserve price, why? Because you’re given a time limit. I can list here and the car may sit for months on end, could the same thing happen on BAT? Yes it could, however, it sort of pushes a buyer that may be on the edge into making a quicker decision. This was never a question of can I afford to list, it was more of a what is going to get me the greatest exposure, best price, and most painless sale.

Firstly it does smell of posing a question as a means to advertise that you are selling without having to pay $50 to advertise here! Secondly, how can you sell on either platform if you don't know how much you will take for it?

Kyle

Supporter
You're selling a component vehicle .... unless you plan to fire sale it it will be a long drawn-out painful process to get the value you want out of it, regradless of where you post it.

Tell that to those that have sold Coupé 65s for 100k. Not disagreeing, it more than likely will be a process. The right buyer will come a long for any price.

Firstly it does smell of posing a question as a means to advertise that you are selling without having to pay $50 to advertise here! Secondly, how can you sell on either platform if you don't know how much you will take for it?

You’re right! It would seem that way. But Randy should be able to attest to my 2-3 year supporter status that just expired what seems like a few weeks ago. I do know how much I’m asking for it, which is exactly why I haven’t posted any price or talked about price because that is against the rules of not supporting while posting something for sale.

BaT is not eBay (hint, that's another site that is free to post on but not free to sell on). They are selective as they do not run 10,000 auctions a day nor do they auction anything that comes along. Unless you want to get screwed on BaT, you will need to set a reserve and decide when to lift it based on bids.

I’ve sold a few vehicles on BAT but nothing more exotic than an Elise.
BAT does vet to some degree but there is very little research on their part. The comments during the listing’s run usually flush that out.
For me there was a lead time on the Lotus but honestly, since they pop up often it seemed reasonable to stager them for the fairness to each seller.
You are right about the auction’s end, they are just providing a forum for the sale, it is between you and the buyer to complete the sale. Things can fall through but the buyer will be out the commission. There is an incentive to complete the sale.
If you think of it as a display site to match enthusiasts, you won’t be disappointed. If you are expecting Southerbys, you will.
I don’t follow enough to be an expert but my cars sold well, and above my expectations.
For the right car, at the right time, there seem to be a few people with stupid money that buy for the sale and not the deal.
Just my .02

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back