Hi everyone, new SGT #66 here

Don't get a naff compressor either mate if you can get one with about 14cfm you can drive pretty much anything of that. Size ain't a big issue depends how much you use it. (not sure if your missus will agree ) 100l should be a nice size. I've got a 200l one but I paint bits and pieces with it. The piddly little 24l ones aren't worth looking at if I'm honest. I fell for that trap. Can't say I've ever been out in anything less than about -5. I'm more of a shorts and t-shirt all year round if I can sort of person. I've got to get a grip of myself as I'm building this car in a tent/instant garage as I've filled the garage full of tools and car parts. So probably going to have to get a kerosene heater.
OK, so you probably just saved me buying a naff compressor so I will look again!
I know the feeling about the garage, I've had to buy another shed for the garden to move a lot of the dog racing stuff from the G in to the shed! the wife wasn't overly impressed but came around in the end, phew! Still have to build the shed first tho! tomorrow's job
Popped into SGT this morning to drop off a USB for Mick, he's kindly going to put a load of build photos etc on it for me to study as well! But saw you chassis being made at the back, its coming along.

OK, so you probably just saved me buying a naff compressor so I will look again!
I know the feeling about the garage, I've had to buy another shed for the garden to move a lot of the dog racing stuff from the G in to the shed! the wife wasn't overly impressed but came around in the end, phew! Still have to build the shed first tho! tomorrow's job
Popped into SGT this morning to drop off a USB for Mick, he's kindly going to put a load of build photos etc on it for me to study as well! But saw you chassis being made at the back, its coming along.
I highly recommend abac compressors mate they are like the rolls Royce of compressor I love mine. But you pay for it. Yeah plenty of stuff to shift around. Can't say my mums too pleased about the news of another chassis. USB that's a cracking idea. I'll definitely arrange the same! Seen a picture mate looking great cannot wait! I'm pleased I've got someone starting the same time as me. Back to compressors sgs ones are alright. I've you've got the money to spend get a belt fed one much quieter

Jason, I've posted so much about rivets that everyone is probably sick of hearing about them. :)

Do a search on this forum and lots of info will turn up.
Tried to send you a pm but I Cant seem to do it. In regards to blind rivets I assume it's preferable to get ones that keep the steel shaft when sheered. Like cherrymax? Do you have a supplier for cherry max?

I highly recommend abac compressors mate they are like the rolls Royce of compressor I love mine. But you pay for it. Yeah plenty of stuff to shift around. Can't say my mums too pleased about the news of another chassis. USB that's a cracking idea. I'll definitely arrange the same! Seen a picture mate looking great cannot wait! I'm pleased I've got someone starting the same time as me. Back to compressors sgs ones are alright. I've you've got the money to spend get a belt fed one much quieter
Thanks, they might be a little out of my budget for this project at the moment at least. But I'll definitely have a look at better specs and bear that in mind. I had a similar situation here, everyone thought I was mad building another car and this one as well as its quite a bit more of an investment.
Bu I agree its good to know someone starting their build at the same time

Shaun

Supporter
Get yourself a rivet spacer as well best tool in the box for this phase plus air rivet gun its a ball ache without as the others say, also I used my bandsaw quite a lot for trimming panels, thin fine tooth blade is really good.

1633008635184.png

Neil

Supporter
Tried to send you a pm but I Cant seem to do it. In regards to blind rivets I assume it's preferable to get ones that keep the steel shaft when sheered. Like cherrymax? Do you have a supplier for cherry max?
James,

Yes, blind rivets that feature positive retention of their stem are far superior. The material of the rivet body and its stem (as well as its diameter) determine the shear strength, so the highest strength rivets are ones made of A256, titanium, and monel. Aircraft blind rivets are commonly found in aluminum, which are usually perfectly acceptable.

Good rivets are made by a number of manufacturers- Cherry, Huck, Allfast, etc. AVEX rivets are semi-structural rivets that offer a number of advantages- a very wide grip range & relatively inexpensive.

My car (a homebuilt Bonneville sports racer) used lots of rivets of various types. For example, the bottom 7075-T6 aluminum stressed panel is riveted onto steel chassis tubes with 451 blind rivets. It goes without saying that an air or, even better, an air-hydraulic rivet gun is going to be necessary. Even Popeye couldn't pull 451 rivets with a hand tool. :p

CherryMax, etc rivets are VERY expensive from retail vendors. I used various aerospace surplus sources, including eBay to find appropriate rivets for my application. You can find bargains by diligent searching. Pay attention to the grip length you need and regularly pore over the eBay offerings.

When riveting aluminum sheet to steel tube of aluminum sheet with dissimilar metal rivets, I recommend using a zinc chromate 2-part epoxy primer as a barrier to electrolytic corrosion. I buy this primer from Aircraft Spruce in CA.

I will attach pictures of my rivet patterns, a few good rivet guns, and a primered panel. Buy lots of Clecos!

Attachments

• AVEX 1.jpg
    AVEX 1.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 139
  • 451 Rivets.jpg
    451 Rivets.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Chassis- First Panel.jpg
    Chassis- First Panel.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Chassis Stressed Panel Clecos.jpg
    Chassis Stressed Panel Clecos.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 139
  • CherryMax Rivet Front.jpg
    CherryMax Rivet Front.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Cleco Panel 2.jpg
    Cleco Panel 2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC05263.JPG
    DSC05263.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC05264.JPG
    DSC05264.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC05265.JPG
    DSC05265.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC05266.JPG
    DSC05266.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 110
Hi everyone

Picked up my SGT chassis #66 this week, got a few other bit coming but really looking forward to getting stuck in, very nervous about it but looking forward to it.
I'm based in Waltham Chase, UK and met Morten today down at the factory.

So first question, can anyone recommend a few build diaries, I was told a few and can't remember the exact name to follow them.

Thanks

J

Hi Jason,

I've got SGT #20 and whilst I didn't build it I did buy it from Mick direct and if you need to come and see a local car to reference off your welcome to visit anytime. I'm near Alton so not very far away.

Hope the build goes well!

Simon.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi Jason, feel free to pop in. No need to overcomplicate things with the build.
Hint... get as many inhouse made parts as you can before the end of the year.

Kind regards
Morten

Thanks for the informative reply I thought the retention of the steel pin was preffered but just wanted to check. I've done aluminium work on military aircraft and when it comes to blind rivets we always use cherrymax and never have to worry about the cost! Bit different when I'm paying for it hahaha. I'll see what I can find! Much appreciated

Hi Jason,

I've got SGT #20 and whilst I didn't build it I did buy it from Mick direct and if you need to come and see a local car to reference off your welcome to visit anytime. I'm near Alton so not very far away.

Hope the build goes well!

Simon.
Hi Simon, thats very kind thank you :) I might just take you up on that as the build progresses :)

Back