Hi from Australia

Sandy

RCR from what I heard weld their fuel tank to the chasis, so it is actually part of the stress the car goes through (I dont see how this is a good idea given fuel can explode?). Given this, in Australia you wont get a compliance on it done like that. So that makes RCR out, unless you find a way around the whole ordeal, or, if RCR will make it with fuel tanks not attached to chasis for you.

What are you selling to get the GT40 btw? Would be nice to see.

That one won't affect me :) I am looking at using LPG tanks...so no fuel tank required :)

Selling a 1998 Mazda RX7 FD3s...with approx 800rwhp from a 13B REW with extend port, HKS T51R SPL, Water injection, W2a intercooler, etc etc etc...spent WAY more than I should have..well over $150,000AUD invested..will only get around 40k back for it...sigh..
Also selling off some daily drivers like my 2009 Ford G6ET, a Volvo 850R T5 Manual, and have already sold a different 2002 FD Rx7...

Taking a few months to offload everything... :(

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Sandy

RCR from what I heard weld their fuel tank to the chasis, so it is actually part of the stress the car goes through (I dont see how this is a good idea given fuel can explode?). Given this, in Australia you wont get a compliance on it done like that. So that makes RCR out, unless you find a way around the whole ordeal, or, if RCR will make it with fuel tanks not attached to chasis for you.

The SLC fuel tank is not welded to the chassis. It is up to the owner to find a way to securely mount it.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The RCR40 also has separate aluminum or bladder tanks( if speced)...they are not welded to the chassis.
RCR40's have also been through the ADR with the usual minimal mods to the USA/EURO spec cars.

Last edited:
Hi Fran, do you currently own the interllectual rights for the parts to get your cars through ADR's in oz? or is that sitting with the old RCR dealer?? Are they willing to share?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Gus.

I have an engineer in Melbourne that is going to rerun the tests just as soon as the chassis's arrive in Australia....that way I can maintain and service Australian customers from the USA.
He has already received some of the previously ADR approved/existing components we use and has them pending approval.
Pricing is also now US based. as advertised on the RCR website.

Good question btw. thanks.

Last edited:
Gus.

I have an engineer in Melbourne that is going to rerun the tests just as soon as the chassis's arrive in Australia....that way I can maintain and service Australian customers from the USA.
He has already received some of the previously ADR approved/existing components we use and has them pending approval.
Pricing is also now US based. as advertised on the RCR website.

Good question btw. thanks.

Brilliant news Fran :) Extremely excited hearing this!

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
George...
the RCR40 has individual tanks to comply with UK IVA and Australian ADR rules..as I have alreasdy stated.
All my cars have aluminum fuel tanks.

I dont see why when it was a GT40 owner in australia that told me I cant go with RCR due to that reason i mentioned.

George said - ...Given this, in Australia you wont get a compliance on it done like that.

This is what I found amazing given your posts on compliance re' big-blocks etc.

Tim.

Sandy

Assuming you are talking about the SLC, no, the fuel tank is not welded to the chassis. It sits safely nestled between two very strong chassis members.

All of the examples I've seen, including my own, bolt the tank to the chassis so it is removable for maintenance and access.

Out of interest...how large is the fuel tank (Dimensions)...Or more importantly...how large is the area the fuel tank normally occupies?

I am thinking of the available space for an LPG tank...

In Australia all of the SLC compliance has been completed by Craig in Queensland.

Craig and his staff have worked closely with engineers and the Registration staff to ensure the SLC and other RCR cars comply to all of the ADR guidelines and rules.

You need to talk to Craig first as he can guide you through the minefield after you purchase. My understanding is that Craig's company have worked in detail with engineers designing both changes and parts required to meet the ADR's. This changes have been approved by Australian registration authorities.

It is far cheaper to work with Craig than trying to go this alone with an engineer whom may not be familiar with the SLC or other RCR cars. Craig has spent many hours and dollars to ensure you can purchase with confidence of registration on the completion of your build.

Bernie

Buyer beware as compliance with ADR is not that simple.

You need to get all of the detail specifications on the kit you are considering. Most suppliers will have all the tests etc.

Talk with either the Australian suppliers or reputable kit suppliers from overseas whom are
sending cars to Australia or have cars here.

Talk closely with owners who have gone through the engineering, inspections and then registration process, they will be both a start point and good resource through your build.

Good luck it is hard but achievable

Bernie

Last edited:
Buyer beware as compliance with ADR is not that simple.

You need to get all of the detail specifications on the kit you are considering. Most suppliers will have all the tests etc.

Talk with either the Australian suppliers or reputable kit suppliers from overseas whom are
sending cars to Australia or have cars here.

Talk closely with owners who have gone through the engineering, inspections and then registration process, they will be both a start point and good resource through your build.

Good luck it is hard but achievable

Bernie

Hi Bernie,
I have had a few Australians contact me with similar views....A lot of concern around making the USA kit compy fully to ADR, especially if you live in NSW..
Hopefully Fran see's this and is able to offer some advice...

Cheers
Sandy

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Yes...we have been working on it as I mentioned...
Certainly not letting the grass grow as they say...

The cars are still the same cars and the engineers know all of the idiosyncrisis that your government keeps throwing out there to curtail all the fun we can all have...!!..and that applies to domestic or imported project cars...

Thanks heaps Fran....will be very good to have the cars at the basic point where we can get through ADR's without too many hassles...

Damn Australian Government needs shooting to put it out of its misery I think!

Yes...its a pity Frans engineer is not based in NSW...if it passed here, it would pass pretty well Australia wide...

Back