Hi just bought a GT-40 at Auction

Jesse,
Welcome to the CAV & GT 40 family. Its already been said in this thread you'll find any answer you want about these fantastic machines. Johann and Ian are the two "local" experts on the CAV cars but the factory is only an email away and they might be able to provide shipping info on your car and other interesting bits of info on its build. Both Ian and Johann have been very helpful in me sorting my CAV # 82. Not sure how "sorted" your's is but its part of the fun of ownership. I'm currently working on getting more air into the cockpit by adding helicopter vents and closing off a gap between the front of the car and the radiator which was mentioned to me by Howard Jones as a way to assist in keeping the car running cool. Definately check out the front uprights too. Look forward to the pictures. Just as a side note I'm running Firstone Indy 500's on mine instead of the BF Goodrich TA's. I went this route based on Tire Racks own test results plus input from other GT 40 owners. Tires are at a premium for these cars. Avons are highly touted but pricey and another option is 17" wheels which opens up a whole new box of goodies for you. Enjoy and be prepared to be treated like a rock star.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Another way to remember is that spinning them forward takes them off. Or more graphically, if you brake hard enough they come off by themselves. :laugh:

NOW I understand why the knockoffs are "safety wired" :idea: !!!!

Jesse, I do recall seeing something like a large "socket" that fits over the spinner...and special lead hammers are sold for "knocking" off the knockoffs.

Doug

Eric,

Looks like i am headed up to northern california Thurseday evening - not sure if i will be back - but if i am - i am in.

Took the car out for a drive today - ran fantastic - still taking it very easy due to the tires - seems though that i may not have them until next week - need to have them shipped down from No Cal.

Talk soon,

Jesse

Eric,

Looks like i may be on the road Saturday morning - i will know Friday night - if i am in town - i am in and look forward to seeing you Saturday.

Jesse

Hi Jesse,

Maybe see you at Cars and Coffee.

I will be in either the Gt -40 or my old 1951 Ford F1 truck fully rusted
/patina ex air force supply truck from Kansas.

It is a sleeper truck with original rusted body reinstalled over reworked
chassis with 400 cubic inch ford motor, independent suspension,
disc brakes etc.

Pics of Gt-40 and 1951 F1 truck for your viewing pleasure.

Eric

Attachments

• IMG00063-20100611-0717.jpg
    IMG00063-20100611-0717.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 329
  • GT 40 030.jpg
    GT 40 030.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 361
Hi Jesse,

Maybe see you at Cars and Coffee.

I will be in either the Gt -40 or my old 1951 Ford F1 truck fully rusted
/patina ex air force supply truck from Kansas.

It is a sleeper truck with original rusted body reinstalled over reworked
chassis with 400 cubic inch ford motor, independent suspension,
disc brakes etc.

Pics of Gt-40 and 1951 F1 truck for your viewing pleasure.

Eric

Eric,

i think your F1 truck (as is) is really cool!

I love 40's (obviously we all do), but that truck can park at my place anytime. I am very partial to worn looking old sleepers. Practical, too. You can actually carry stuff, have ground clearance, and don't worry about the odd shopping centre carpark ding.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Jesse,
I'm up in the SF bay area, Drop me a email and if you have time I'll send you my contact info. You are wecome to drop by and talk GT40's. Cold beer in frig.
Howard

Eric,

Thanks for the help Saturday - you and Ralph really made the day.

I look forward to seeing your 51 in person.

Regards,

jesse

Hi Jesse,

We really enjoyed the ride and visit to your place.
hope we helped some with your beautiful GT 40.

My son and I will be tinkering this weekend with his Rat Rod and
his 550 Spyder and my old truck, Gt 40 etc.

Maybe you want to take a shakedown ride through the canyon in your Gt
and visit.

I will give you a call.

Enjoy,

Eric

Eric,

I just got the new tires on yesterday - the car is running fantastic. The header hose re-route fixed the cooling issue. Also, with the new tires the bump-steer i had disappeared completely.

I may take my wife out of town this weekend, but i have my nephew in town next weekend - one or the other i will definately take a drive over to check out your toys.

Jesse

Alan,

I bought these sizes:

Ford GT Kit F 15x8.0/8.5 215/60VR15 CR6ZZ Avon​
Cars R 15/10.0/10.5 295/50ZR15 CR6ZZ Avon

From Robert Krause racing.

Directory Listing of /racetirepricing/Ford GT & GT40/

They shipped same day to a local company - Wheel and Tire Connection in Irvine who did a great job of installing.

The total including taxes and shipped was about $1,700.

They eliminated all of the bump steer and ride great.

Back