High School Principles speech

A Speech Every American High School Principal Should Give.
> By High school principal Dennis Prager of Colorado.
>
> To the students and faculty of our high school:
>
> I am your new principal, and honored to be so.
> There is no greater calling than to teach young people.
>
> I would like to apprise you of some important changes coming to our school. I am making these changes because I am convinced that most of the ideas that have dominated public education in America have worked against you, against your teachers and against our country.
>
> First , this school will no longer honor race or ethnicity.
> I could not care less if your racial makeup is black, brown, red, yellow or white. I could not care less if your origins are African, Latin American, Asian or European, or if your ancestors arrived here on the Mayflower or on slave ships. The only identity I care about, the only one this school will recognize, is your individual identity -- your character, your scholarship, your humanity. And the only national identity this school will care about is American.
>
> This is an American public school, and American public schools were created to make better Americans. If you wish to affirm an ethnic, racial or religious identity through school, you will have to go elsewhere. We will end all ethnicity, race and non-American nationality-based celebrations. They undermine the motto of America , one of its three central values -- epluribus Unum, "from many, one." And this school will be guided by America 's values. This includes all after-school clubs. I will not authorize clubs that divide students based on any identities. This includes race, language, religion, sexual orientation or whatever else may become in vogue in a society divided by political correctness.
>
> Your clubs will be based on interests and passions, not blood, ethnic, racial or other physically defined ties. Those clubs just cultivate narcissism -- an unhealthy preoccupation with the self -- while the purpose of education is to get you to think beyond yourself. So we will have clubs that transport you to the wonders and glories of art, music, astronomy, languages you do not already speak, carpentry and more. If the only extracurricular activities you can imagine being interested in are those based on ethnic, racial or sexual identity, that means that little outside of yourself really interests you.
>
> Second , I am uninterested in whether English is your native language. My only interest in terms of language is that you leave this school speaking and writing English as fluently as possible. The English language has united America 's citizens for over 200 years, and it will unite us at this school. It is one of the indispensable reasons this country of immigrants has always come to be one country. And if you leave this school without excellent English language skills, I would be remiss in my duty to ensure that you will be prepared to successfully compete in the American job market. We will learn other languages here -- it is deplorable that most Americans only speak English -- but if you want classes taught in your native language rather than in English, this is not your school.
>
> Third , because I regard learning as a sacred endeavor , everything in this school will reflect learning's elevated status. This means, among other things, that you and your teachers will dress accordingly. Many people in our society dress more formally for Hollywood events than for church or school. These people have their priorities backward. Therefore, there will be a formal dress code at this school.
>
> Fourth , no obscene language will be tolerated anywhere on this school's property -- whether in class, in the hallways or at athletic events. If you can't speak without using the f -word, you can't speak. By obscene language I mean the words banned by the Federal Communications Commission, plus epithets such as "Nigger," even when used by one black student to address another black, or "bitch," even when addressed by a girl to a girlfriend. It is my intent that by the time you leave this school, you will be among the few your age to instinctively distinguish between the elevated and the degraded, the holy and the obscene.
>
> Fifth , we will end all self-esteem programs. In this school, self-esteem will be attained in only one way -- the way people attained it until decided otherwise a generation ago -- by earning it. One immediate consequence is that there will be one valedictorian, not eight.
>
> Sixth , and last, I am reorienting the school toward academics and away from politics and propaganda. No more time will be devoted to scaring you about smoking and caffeine, or terrifying you about sexual harassment or global warming. No more semesters will be devoted to condom wearing and teaching you to regard sexual relations as only or primarily a health issue... There will be no more attempts to convince you that you are a victim because you are not white, or not male, or not heterosexual or not Christian. We will have failed if any one of you graduates this school and does not consider him or herself inordinately fortunate -- to be alive and to be an American.
Now, please stand and join me in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of our country. As many of you do not know the words, your teachers will hand them out to you.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Never happened!

Dennis Prager is not a High School Principal, he is a small time, right wing, LA talk show host, noted for making things up!

Tom, you need to remember that angry, selfish, hate filled conservatives rarely become Teachers or Principals.

Last edited:
Never happened!

Dennis Prager is not a High School Principal, he is a small time, right wing, LA talk show host, noted for making things up!

Tom, you need to remember that angry, selfish, hate filled conservatives rarely become Teachers or Principals.

Jim, where did you see anything "angry, selfish or hate filled" in that post? There was a time when "Out of many, one" meant something.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Jim, where did you see anything "angry, selfish or hate filled" in that post?

Anyone who doesn't agree with any particular liberal stance, program, agenda or belief is so labeled...and usually the terms "racist", "bigot", "homophobe", "Mexiphobe", "this-a-phobe" or "that-a-phobe" eventually end up being thrown into the mix somewhere.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Never happened!

I was sent this as an email at least two years ago and also discovered that Dennis Prager is not a High school Principal. Jim the original was authored by Prager and titled A speech that every high school teacher should give. You omitted to mention that.

He is not small time but syndicated nationally and has been in media for thirty
Years.
I also fail to see where anything about the speech that is angry selfish or hate filled.
I would think that if as suggested by Mr. Prager every high school principal did make such a speech America would become a better and less racially divided place.
I'm surprised that you would not support that.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Jim
I'm surprised that you would not support that.

Having read some of his posts it is obvious that anyone with a different opinion is WRONG. I didn't get the memo, but it seems he has been annointed as the arbitor of everything good and evil.
He reminds me of my self entitled/centered children.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Dennis Prager is not a Teacher or a Principal, he is an angry, selfish, hate filled conservative!

If Mr Prager was anything but a small time hack, then TomP would have know he was not a Principal!

Dennis Prager is not a Teacher or a Principal, he is an angry, selfish, hate filled conservative!

If Mr Prager was anything but a small time hack, then TomP would have know he was not a Principal!

Jim, You use the word "hate" more than anyone I know. What exactly makes someone "an angry, selfish, hate filled conservative". Because a person has a different view than you, they become a "selfish, angry, hate filled person. With all the bile that's bubbling out of you, I suggest you look in the mirror!

Jim, does this make you feel better? I liked the content, not the position of the person writing it.

A Speech Every American High School Principal Should Give.
> By Dennis Prager.
>
> To the students and faculty of our high school:
>
> I am your new principal, and honored to be so.
> There is no greater calling than to teach young people.
>
> I would like to apprise you of some important changes coming to our school. I am making these changes because I am convinced that most of the ideas that have dominated public education in America have worked against you, against your teachers and against our country.
>
> First , this school will no longer honor race or ethnicity.
> I could not care less if your racial makeup is black, brown, red, yellow or white. I could not care less if your origins are African, Latin American, Asian or European, or if your ancestors arrived here on the Mayflower or on slave ships. The only identity I care about, the only one this school will recognize, is your individual identity -- your character, your scholarship, your humanity. And the only national identity this school will care about is American.
>
> This is an American public school, and American public schools were created to make better Americans. If you wish to affirm an ethnic, racial or religious identity through school, you will have to go elsewhere. We will end all ethnicity, race and non-American nationality-based celebrations. They undermine the motto of America , one of its three central values -- epluribus Unum, "from many, one." And this school will be guided by America 's values. This includes all after-school clubs. I will not authorize clubs that divide students based on any identities. This includes race, language, religion, sexual orientation or whatever else may become in vogue in a society divided by political correctness.
>
> Your clubs will be based on interests and passions, not blood, ethnic, racial or other physically defined ties. Those clubs just cultivate narcissism -- an unhealthy preoccupation with the self -- while the purpose of education is to get you to think beyond yourself. So we will have clubs that transport you to the wonders and glories of art, music, astronomy, languages you do not already speak, carpentry and more. If the only extracurricular activities you can imagine being interested in are those based on ethnic, racial or sexual identity, that means that little outside of yourself really interests you.
>
> Second , I am uninterested in whether English is your native language. My only interest in terms of language is that you leave this school speaking and writing English as fluently as possible. The English language has united America 's citizens for over 200 years, and it will unite us at this school. It is one of the indispensable reasons this country of immigrants has always come to be one country. And if you leave this school without excellent English language skills, I would be remiss in my duty to ensure that you will be prepared to successfully compete in the American job market. We will learn other languages here -- it is deplorable that most Americans only speak English -- but if you want classes taught in your native language rather than in English, this is not your school.
>
> Third , because I regard learning as a sacred endeavor , everything in this school will reflect learning's elevated status. This means, among other things, that you and your teachers will dress accordingly. Many people in our society dress more formally for Hollywood events than for church or school. These people have their priorities backward. Therefore, there will be a formal dress code at this school.
>
> Fourth , no obscene language will be tolerated anywhere on this school's property -- whether in class, in the hallways or at athletic events. If you can't speak without using the f -word, you can't speak. By obscene language I mean the words banned by the Federal Communications Commission, plus epithets such as "Nigger," even when used by one black student to address another black, or "bitch," even when addressed by a girl to a girlfriend. It is my intent that by the time you leave this school, you will be among the few your age to instinctively distinguish between the elevated and the degraded, the holy and the obscene.
>
> Fifth , we will end all self-esteem programs. In this school, self-esteem will be attained in only one way -- the way people attained it until decided otherwise a generation ago -- by earning it. One immediate consequence is that there will be one valedictorian, not eight.
>
> Sixth , and last, I am reorienting the school toward academics and away from politics and propaganda. No more time will be devoted to scaring you about smoking and caffeine, or terrifying you about sexual harassment or global warming. No more semesters will be devoted to condom wearing and teaching you to regard sexual relations as only or primarily a health issue... There will be no more attempts to convince you that you are a victim because you are not white, or not male, or not heterosexual or not Christian. We will have failed if any one of you graduates this school and does not consider him or herself inordinately fortunate -- to be alive and to be an American.
Now, please stand and join me in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of our country. As many of you do not know the words, your teachers will hand them out to you.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I used the words "angry, hate and selfish" because that is what Mr Prager spews daily.

The entire tennor of his "speach" is angry!
He hates Obama, he hates liberals.
He hates what he prceives our schools have become.

Now for the selfish part.

Mr Prager is selfish to the point of sabotaging students lives!

He is hoping to turn his school into a red state utopia. They will dress for church and will learn nothing about what he calls "propaganda"! Thing like sex education, sexual harassment, contriception, ecology or smoking. PROPAGANDA?

Statisticly childeren from red states will:

Have more teen pregnancy!
Have a higher divorce rate!
Have less upper education!
Have a higher % of smoking!
Have less tolerance for others!
Have higher gun death rates!
Have higher % who do not wear seat belts!

Mr Prager cares more about his ideals than the future of the childeren, that is what we in the real world call SELFISH!

Last edited:

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Regardless of whether or not some of what he says sounds good, it seems that there is an extreme degree of intolerance of others views that is destined to destroy our society, Thanks Jim C. From the spelling in a few of the caustic posts, I can see the public education system doesn't encourage proper spelling any longer. With spellcheck readily available, I guess laziness is.
I have been looking for someone that KNOWS all the answers...I believe he has been self- annointed.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jimbo,

Now I know I can somtimes be way too blunt.

But really, do you think it is in the childerens best interest to be kept in the dark about things like the dangers of smoking, unprotected sex and sexual harassment?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
No, I don't, obviously. But we all know, and not just on this forum, that everyone quotes statistics and that statistics get fudged in order to support any point of view that the person quoting them wishes to support- as if there was something magic in numbers, which there is not. There is a reason why we trust statistical evidence as opposed to anecdotal (single case) evidence, and that reason, in my opinion, is that grouped data shows trends and a greater weight of evidence. But in order to understand whether statistical evidence is actually worth anything, you have to look at the sampling data, the way it was obtained and what was done with it after it was obtained. I am by no means a professional blogger in any way (I hope I am not, at least- I certainly don't get paid to do it, thank God) but your opinions would be better served if you just presented them as your opinions and cited your own experiences to support them.

I think kids ought to learn about how to be healthy and that those things ought to be taught in school- that includes learning about smoking, unprotected sex, etc. I also think they should learn about sexual harassment but I am not as certain on that one, only because I'd like to see the proposed curriculum before anyone actually teaches it.

Some of the other things presented in the original post are worthwhile- a school should have ONE valedictorian, and one runner-up- the whole idea of one person who is the best is that unless two people are tied for best, it doesn't mean anything. I am strongly in favor of school dress codes, having seen what happens when school kids compete to see who has the coolest clothes. (like killing each other for Nike sneakers?) As far as his ideas about school clubs, I could not disagree more- in after-school hours, children should be free to congregate in groups with particular interests and they should also be encouraged to learn more about their ethnic origins etc. What is the harm in that? This is a heterogeneous society and we should appreciate our differences rather than try to suppress them.

I also believe strongly, relative to another thread, that there should be a culinary arts class that is compulsory where every child is required to learn to carve a Pop-Tart so it looks like an AK47. Or another one of an approved list of firearms. No graduation without the Pop-Tart carving class passed.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Jimbo!

Now the reason I quote statistics instead of just my opinion:..........It is my opinion and there are statistics to back up my claims. If there are statistics that show otherwise, I would think that they would be posted and then we could discuss their validity.

When you weigh the parts of Mr Pragers "speech" that you agree with:

Dress code
One Valedictorian

Against the parts that you do not agree with:

That teaching the dangers of smoking is propaganda
That teaching the dangers of unprotected sex is propaganda
That teaching about sexual harassment is propaganda
Limiting clubs and discussions to topics he alone approves

I have to think that you as well as most parents would agree that Mr Prager and his ideas should be kept as far from our children as possible!

Now Dave, if you have trouble making out a word, let me know, I'd be glad to help you out.

Last edited:
Back