Hose weepage from brake and clutch fluid cannisters

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Anyone have brake fluid weepage through hoses from brake and clutch fluid cannisters?

Solutions?

Tx, Steve P2125

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Got fed up with the weepage through the rubber hoses so took everything apart.

Used 2 Girling cannisters (7 oz for brakes and 5 oz for clutch). Opened the holes in original cover plate, used "O" rings top and bottom of the plate and "The Right Stuff" to glue/seal the cannisters and "O" rings to the plate (I called manufacturer of "The Right Stuff" and they said it would be a good adhesive and sealant against any brake fluid drips). The "Right Stuff" is teriffic...the cannisters are really locked in place) Wrapped friction tape around the cannisters and the original brackets after reforming them to match the Girlings profiles and then used the original hose clamps as a final precaution against rotation.

Running braided AN4 PTFE lines and AN4 fittings eliminating the SPF fragile hard line to rubber hose assy (used from the brake masters) routing directly to the masters.

I'll post some pics if anyone interested once I complete the plumbing.

Steve P2125

Unless you used hose that was specifically formulated for brake fluid, you will have weeping, as regular fuel hose, etc is not an effective barrier to brake fluid.

Pegasys and others sell hose that is rated for brake fluid.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Got fed up with the weepage through the rubber hoses so took everything apart......

Nice! What fittings at cans and cylinders did it take to transition to AN?

I know that the hose on my car is labelled but unfortunately (smirk) I put that part back together and so can't see the markings. Are your discards still around so you can tell what the original hose was? I ask because I'd like to know the answer to the issue Will raises. Mine are not weeping (yet).....

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Alan, I'll get the PN's of fittings and hose. As I recall hose was Goodrich (think I still have in the trash bin)

Will, Took a few yrs to begin "weeping" but, I'm sure the PTFE teflon AN4 brake lines I'm using won't. Special hose I upgraded my SPF Cobra was supposed to not weep but, it wept too. I'm done with rubber on brake lines from now on as well as metal resivoirs.

Steve P2125

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Alan,

SPF uses (at least on mine) Good Year "Ultra Grip" 3055 1/4" (6.4mm)

Pic of removed metal cannisters and hard line to rubber hose connections from brake masters:
Pic of brake and clutch masters from access panel under AC evaporator
Pics of new Girling cannisters assembled to original cover plate

More on fittings and lines as I progress.

Steve P2125

Attachments

• ALIM0273.jpg
    ALIM0273.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 290
  • ALIM0272.jpg
    ALIM0272.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 290
  • ALIM0271.jpg
    ALIM0271.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 302
  • ALIM0270.jpg
    ALIM0270.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 301
I went up and down on the sizes of the o-rings at the top cap neck and finally wrapped the ring base with tefflon tape to stop the seapage there. I double clamped the hose ends. The cap area has been dry for 4 years now. The hoses are showing slight weapage again, after 4 years.( SPF Daytona Coupe)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Remember that brake fluid has the property to make rubber "swell" to keep wheel cylinder/caliper seals tight. That same property will allow it to swell hose and open the pores. Flexible brake lines have an inert lining that bulk hose will not have. I would suggest using flexible brake line in lieu of bulk hose. If you can't adapt the fittings, cut them off and use a threaded nipple and clamp.

I don't recall ever seeing a brake flex line "weep" or "sweat" brake fluid.

Steve
Did you use Buna N or Fluoroelastomer 'O' rings? Nice job. Sounds like a nice winter project, however since our chassis are only 1 number apart...
I think the 'R' cars have the cans on the rear bulkhead for easy service.
Grady

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Progress:

Grady: I used isoprene rubber O rings

See above post for pics of new Girling canisters assembled into modified original cover plate.

Pics attached of:

Drip tray with drain tube to collect any leakage from master cylinders and drain through the pan rather than collect (note pedal assembly pulled to rear for installation). Note new 7/16 to AN4 adapters installed on masters.

Layout of AN4 fittings that will connect the new Girling canisters to the masters (hose assembly and install tomorrow).

Steve P2125

Attachments

• ALIM0275.jpg
    ALIM0275.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 282
  • ALIM0276.jpg
    ALIM0276.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
This should be a sticky or def in the "How To" corner.

Steve, can you provide the PN's for the bottles, line, and fittings? I will be doing this as a winter project.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
AN4 braided lines completed and covered in 1/2 shrink tube to prevent chafing of paint and other braided lines.

Pics of hose and fittings flat on floor and various shots of assembly.

Note pic of canister cover raised showing extra hose dressed to allow cover to be raised for inspection.

Hoses go through bulkhead mating AN females via a male to male adapter for the clutch and AN female to AN T with female on the run via another male to male adapter then to the masters as shown.

Hose dims follow (dims are exposed braided line, not including fittings):
Clutch canister to bulkhead 35" AN 90 each end and a male/male adapter at bulkhead
Brake canister to bulkhead 30 1/2" AN 90 each end and a male/male adapter at bulkhead and to female on the run of the T
Clutch line interior bulkhead to clutch MC 9" AN90 each end
Brake line interior bulkhead to center brake MC 9" AN straight each end ties to the male on the foot of the T
Brake line interior bulkhead to right brake MC 8" AN straight to the MC and AN90 to the male arm of the T

Canisters from Pegasus: Girling's as shown in their catalog and assembled as describen in earlier post above.

Steve P2125

Attachments

• ALIM0277.jpg
    ALIM0277.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 223
  • ALIM0278.jpg
    ALIM0278.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 259
  • ALIM0281.jpg
    ALIM0281.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Pic of hose dress from canister wall to bulkhead:

Steve P2125

Attachments

• ALIM0279.jpg
    ALIM0279.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Really nice!

What are the fittings at the cylinders? At the ends of your hoses it looks like you adapt from AN4 to one of the (various) hydraulic flare fittings, so I'm wondering what that is, and is it the same as up at the original girling cans?

Also you gotta quit showing me that blue painted chassis. It just gets me wondering how much work it would be to paint mine that color...:thumbsup:

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Alan,

Fittings @ the MC's are 7/16X20 inverted flares to 4AN with crush washers to 4AN .

Ya I like the blue too. I was the first to pick the colors used and was pleasently surprised when the factory agreed to pain to my specs.

Steve P2125

Steve,

As my brother keeps saying, you are the SHIZZLE!!!

Thanks for the part descriptions.

Rich.

BTW, still think this should be copied to the "How To" corner as well.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
One correcttion and change I made before final assembly:

Use straight bulkhead AN4 to AN4 not male to male adapters (gives more room to wrench the fittings at the bulkhead)

Steve P2125

Back