Hot inside my GTD

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Dan , I had the same problem with my GTD I went to the single nostril and modified it to cover the entire radiator, it really helped. My car did not have the side scoops you show on yours so I'm unfamiliar with what they do.
That hood actually came with the car when my dad purchased it 25 years ago painted and all. My dad put it away in one of his buildings and we have yet to ever find it again. I did find a complete new powder coated exhaust system but no hood.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
On Sunday I had a few friends over everyone working on their cars so I got to building (don't laugh) a cardboard wall below the nostrils to deflect the air up and out and to see if the problem would be resolved inside the cabin. The result was astounding, The cabin temperature dropped about 90%. The inside of the cabin with the ac on got cold almost immediately and completely comfortable. The scoops inside the wheelwell no longer had flow blowing into the door jams. The increase in flow out the nostrils was blowing air to the top of the windshield and over the roof. I can't wait to get the insert from Lee to do the job right. I ordered the bottom panel from him on Sunday. Here is a pick of my handiwork LOL
cardboar cover.jpg

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Dan,
You will be happy when you get the full deep nostril fitted as you will be much cooler and it really does help with front lift at speed. Lee makes really good panels. If you want detail pics of my deep nostril just let me know.
Cheers
Mike

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Hi Dan,
You will be happy when you get the full deep nostril fitted as you will be much cooler and it really does help with front lift at speed. Lee makes really good panels. If you want detail pics of my deep nostril just let me know.
Cheers
Mike
Thank You Mike,
I don't need pics as of yet, Lee provided me a whole bunch of pics with measurements and notes on how to install the new panel. I am going to do the cutting and fitting, then I have a guy to do the fiberglass work and a local shop to paint the nostrils black again. I really appreciate your help and knowledge not just on this but all the help you have given me in the past as well.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
On Sunday I had a few friends over everyone working on their cars so I got to building (don't laugh) a cardboard wall below the nostrils to deflect the air up and out and to see if the problem would be resolved inside the cabin. The result was astounding, The cabin temperature dropped about 90%. The inside of the cabin with the ac on got cold almost immediately and completely comfortable. The scoops inside the wheelwell no longer had flow blowing into the door jams. The increase in flow out the nostrils was blowing air to the top of the windshield and over the roof. I can't wait to get the insert from Lee to do the job right. I ordered the bottom panel from him on Sunday. Here is a pick of my handiwork LOLView attachment 100693
Reminds me of the double-nostril panel that came with my RCR. I cut it up and deepened it all the way to the floor behind the radiator. Took a fair bit of work, but no one was offering any solutions back then.

Glenn M

Supporter
I use one of Lees deep double nostrils, highly recommended. (both the panel and him!)
I made a flange that the bottom and sides of the nostrils butt up to, to prevent any air from spilling around the sides.
Hopefully the pictures will make it clear;

And with the nostril in place;

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Nice pics Glenn, I have been thinking about this. Looks like a great idea. LOL got a pattern?

So guess what I just received? My panel- looks beautiful! Really nice work. It got to me in perfect condition. I can't wait to start this project! I just can't get over how good it looks.

I have split nostrils on my GT40 and I have a overheating problem - the divider between the nostril blocks a a large part of the radiator from being cooled by the fans - perhaps as much as a third blockage. I've thought about installing a single nostril but haven't gotten around to it. I hope it solves your problem.

Also, make sure there are no air bubles blocking your cooling tubes.

John

Dan Kasten

Supporter
I have split nostrils on my GT40 and I have a overheating problem - the divider between the nostril blocks a a large part of the radiator from being cooled by the fans - perhaps as much as a third blockage. I've thought about installing a single nostril but haven't gotten around to it. I hope it solves your problem.

Also, make sure there are no air bubles blocking your cooling tubes.

John
I don't have temperature problems at all, years ago the radiator was replaced and at that point everything was drained and replaced with Evans coolant. I think even now with my cardboard cutout it seems to run just a little cooler. I just got the same piece that Mike is showing.

Hello Dan,
if you follow the measurements in pictures I sent you, you will find the panel supplied is just about the right shape.
it will need a little fettling but not a great deal.
Lee

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Hello Dan,
if you follow the measurements in pictures I sent you, you will find the panel supplied is just about the right shape.
it will need a little fettling but not a great deal.
Lee
I am not worried Lee, I have all the pictures/instructions printed out. I am going to follow them exactly.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Dan,
Here is a pic of the deep nostril from my GTD which should be a bit clearer.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20190905_194726274.jpg
    IMG_20190905_194726274.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 268

Dan Kasten

Supporter
I did a little test fitting the other day to see what would have to be modified and found out that my fire system bottle has to be moved but thankfully the battery can stay. I am not going to install the panel right away but instead wait for the season to end first. I have been working on this car for 3 years and I am having the best year yet with it and don't want to rush anything. Here is a test fit pic.
gt40 upgrade.jpg

Back