How does superlite's SL-C handle in the winter?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
It’ll be way over $100k for an ev drivetrain. Realistically close to $200k. You’ll never make up the savings. And you’ll definetly need a donor Tesla or something similar or how else will you control the battery motor and charging functions ? And all the cooling pumps , battery cell management etc. ….

Not to mention the mods to the chassis and suspension that will be needed to both house the battery packs AND support their weight.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

would be fun though!

Yes! And in my case - it WAS!
Waaaay back when, my Dad (God rest him) used to tow my sister and me behind his 1949 Chevy panel truck on our sleds.
Man, that WAS fun!
'Did so on the 'main road' that went by our home.
Of course, back then the amount of traffic on that road at any given time was next to nothing...with snow and ice on the road it was even less. (We lived 'out in the sticks' then.)
TODAY Dad would be arrested for child abuse and/or child endangerment if he did that.
BACK THEN he simply being a FUN DAD.
I miss those days...

An aside:
I know a gentleman who's driven his '05 Ford GT in the snow many times w/o incident.
'Course he doesn't do so as though he were driving a half track either...

Howard Jones

Supporter
You'll shoot your eye out kid....................buy a used Subaru.

3h5xm4.jpg

Marcus... You must be joking...

I am not.

this all stems from what I believe about owning nice things: If you want something nice, learn to build and repair it yourself.

I wanted a car. the only street legal kit with build instructions that I found I could understand (based on what I saw on the website) was the SL-C.

so, I plan on ordering an SL-C kit to build one myself (bonus that my family apparently has kit car building in their blood, so I will have someone to teach me along the way too.).

Not to mention the mods to the chassis and suspension that will be needed to both house the battery packs AND support their weight.
I picked out what I will be using: a GT 413 e-Crate
It fits with the V8 Graziano transaxle that you can pick while configuring the SL-C if I pick the Chevy LS engine plate
All I would really need is the high voltage wiring for charging, and some more battery packs for more range

Marcus, please share video of your snowy and rainy drives in your Superlite SLC. I'm happy when anyone is willing to take on a big build and then use it for what it was built for. Double check that you can mount all season tires on whatever wheels you choose and do an extra thorough job of sealing up the cabin to keep the cold and wet out of the cockpit. Be aware that rain can come through the roof scoop and leak throught the roof unless it is completely sealed back to the engine compartment. Also, do not paint your car until after you have test fit your weather sealing and close out panels since those things will affect your panel gaps.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sounds like you have everything figured out. Good luck with your build. Please be sure to start a build thread. I think if you order a SLC right now you will probably get it in 8-10 months. Covid hit them really hard.

Regards Brian

Will be ordering in stages once our enclosed carport is finished so I will be able to shelter the parts as I assemble the SL-C.
Good idea on the build thread.

Back