How does the body used by GTD compare to the original

Hi
It would be very interesting to see some side by side comparison photos. GTD looks pretty good to me, so does RCR, but would be nice to view differences.
Stephen

I must say I think that the RCR looks really good and closely resembles the original body of the GT40. I have spoken with many people and it is nearly impossible to get a RCR road registered in Holland, unless you are willing to take the route of having it registered as a new car, including things like emissions, noise, road safety, etcetera. In my country that means at least double the price of a fully build RCR.

MikeP said:
There was a suggestion some years ago that some moulds were tkan off a car that had been rebuilt after an accident and which was therefore a little out of kilter. This may account for some of the discrepancies between types of cars which have crept over generations.

Would you know around what time this must have happened? Was this in the eighties or nineties?

John

I must say I think that the RCR looks really good and closely resembles the original body of the GT40. I have spoken with many people and it is nearly impossible to get a RCR road registered in Holland, unless you are willing to take the route of having it registered as a new car, including things like emissions, noise, road safety, etcetera. In my country that means at least double the price of a fully build RCR.

John

A RCR looks close to the original , compared to most other replicas, because their bodies are most of the time derivates of KVA bodies and copied over and over and not taken from a mould of an original car. If you look into older posts on this forum you also will find the history of almost any manufacturer and where their bodies originated from.

Doubt that registrating any other new built replica is easier. A former UK registration is no guarantee for a continental europe rego.

there was a RHD RCR replica for sale a few months ago on PH for not to much, I still have that add I think (collect a few) and that car is buils in 2010 but titled as a 1968 car? the engine was 1968 certified.

it was for a "long" time on sale, started with 50.000,-gbp last price was 39.995,-gbp I see in my save list.

the car looked on the pictures very good, nice colour dark grey with silver stripes

Rene,

I have discussed these cars at length with the RDW (Dutch DVLA) and the RCR will never pass as a 1968 car in Holland. They will do a history check and can easily tell from simply looking at the car it is a new car.

I have investigated all sorts of ways to get a newer GT40 (Superformance or RCR) into The Netherlands, but also the German route or UK route will no longer work. Even with an older title, if they feel it is not correct they will investigate getting the history abroad and find out it is effectively a much younger car. Then the emissions get into the equation and you're gone.

So for my this GTD40 from 1989 is a better car.

John

GTrene,

Hi, I'm the new owner of the RHD RCR you mentioned since the summer. I'm currently trying to register it in Belgium. But it needs a little bit of work.

Tim

Hi Tim, well done, i think you made yourself a good deal, although it could be a problem such sort cars I guess in Belgium?
or is that (problems Belgium) only with say, a standard car with different stuff then that it came from the factory? and so you have to change all back again.

or do you get a separate register inspection with such GT40 replica?

and "needs a little work"? wonder what that would be, or is that because of Belgium rules.

at least its a on the mainland :D makes the roads nicer overhere from the monent your aloud to drive it legally.

From http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/15758-superformance-ford-gt-mkii-5.html#post138302

If you take a straight line from the top of the rear window across the bottom of the rear window to just before the rear spoiler Kicks up, an original rear clip will be flat and straight. The replica will have about 1.5" of kick up that is apparent at the bottom of the rear window.

Replica doors where they meet the front clip are rounder and wider, original doors are more flat in this area.

If you look at the original MK1 nostril panel at the sides it is about 3/4" most replicas are much wider.

The duct in front of the screen on the replica GT40's is further forward, than on the original.

The rear licence plate holder on replicas is simplified and the rear grill appeture does not have an inward flange as on the originals.

Also WRT the ridge, from http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/36931-help-me-identify-real-reproduction.html#post367465

That ridge running above window height was a GTD mod that Ray Christopher did to keep Ford happy if I remember it correctly.

GTrene ,

It get's a sort of single approval. They check weights , dimensions , E-markings and regular MOT-stuff .

The little work is mainly related to that , changing speedo to km/h instead of miles/h , changing headlights , changing reverse and fog light from side to side.

The paperwork takes the longest (government) ! I hope it's done in 3-4 months.

Tim, indeed "little" work then, almost forgot when going from one side of the road to the other side you have to change a few things indeed.
when all is done and is approved for the mainland and Belgium you can open a thread with your car and your experiences so far.

Back