How strong is the Renault UN1 with single piece shaft.

It's looking like I will be fitting the quaife single piece shaft to my Renault UN1 with the quaife LSD, I would be interested in hearing if anyone that has managed to break one and how much HP/ Torque people are putting through these.

I have heard story's that they are possibly stronger than the Porsche G50/0* I would be interested in comments.

Chris.

It's looking like I will be fitting the quaife single piece shaft to my Renault UN1 with the quaife LSD, I would be interested in hearing if anyone that has managed to break one and how much HP/ Torque people are putting through these.

I have heard story's that they are possibly stronger than the Porsche G50/0* I would be interested in comments.

Chris.

I don't think HP is really the problem, I have heard of some pretty nasty Lotus Esprit twin turbos cranking out 600HP using the Quaife single piece shaft, LSD, straight cut 1st gear, hardened second gear, and cryo treated case.

However, Torque is another issue. I hear the single piece shaft is still limited to 350 lbs/ft, 400 lbs/ft tops.

Ian

Malcolm

Supporter
I have one but my engine is a mere "just below 400 bhp" engine so not really pushing the boundaries. However I know others with them and with more bhp and not heard of one breaking yet. And we use slicks which will load them more than road tyres would.

Derek Bell (not the racer) originally designed the set-up for his Lola replica. Sold lots for similar replicas with big US v8's. When I contacted him a few years ago he said there had never been a broken one.

He had them made by Jack Knight Gear Cutters in UK, I think, but the company went bust and Derek decided to stop doing them after that.

His design has been copied by others such as Holloway (US), Albins (AUST) and Quiafe (UK). Albins and Quaife were already making other components for the UN1 so were in an ideal position to build on their expertise. Both do close ratio and dog change combinations. Albins and probably Quaife, also make various crownwheel and pinion ratios as well.

In Australia Albins are cheaper than Quaife. They've been modifying UN1's for 20-30 years for the off-road racing fraternity. Good box with lots of reasonably priced potential. The main problem these days is finding them as they've been out of production for several years.

Back