How to adjust SPF footbox

I’ve searched all over including manual and can’t seem to find step by step directions to adjust pedals on SF. Can anyone help fit these size 13s and 33” inseam so I can squeeze in a bit more??

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Take the cover off the "dry sump" tank and you can move the A/C assembly out of the way. Remove the access panel and you have easy access to the pedal box. Do as in the above post.

This question is another example of why Superformance needs to come out with a service manual on their GT40s. Since they contract with High-Tech Automotive to assemble the basic car, presumably High-Tech already has the plans for the car which could be combined into a manual and sold or given to owners of the cars.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
This question is another example of why Superformance needs to come out with a service manual on their GT40s. Since they contract with High-Tech Automotive to assemble the basic car, presumably High-Tech already has the plans for the car which could be combined into a manual and sold or given to owners of the cars.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Right you are Chris but they have no interest in doing so as there would be cost involved. We do our best to help people with tech questions and greatly appreciate the wealth of information and experience that Dennis Olthoff willing shares with us.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I'm pretty sure Haynes do a workshop manual for the GT40 (1964 onwards) and with SPF being 90% interchange with an original wouldn't that have most (say 90%) of the required information? Maybe a few owners get together and write up some technical bulletins / supplements for the SPF specific stuff?

Right you are Chris but they have no interest in doing so as there would be cost involved. We do our best to help people with tech questions and greatly appreciate the wealth of information and experience that Dennis Olthoff willing shares with us.

Hmmm....I wonder what the cost would be? For example, just making plans/drawings available in a loose leaf format might keep the cost/complication down, and would be a huge help over what we have now, which is basically nothing from the factory. I have thought about contacting Hillbank before on this, and will do so.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I'm pretty sure Haynes do a workshop manual for the GT40 (1964 onwards) and with SPF being 90% interchange with an original wouldn't that have most (say 90%) of the required information? Maybe a few owners get together and write up some technical bulletins / supplements for the SPF specific stuff?
The "Haynes" manual is a nice piece but "NOT" a real tech manual.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hmmm....I wonder what the cost would be? For example, just making plans/drawings available in a loose leaf format might keep the cost/complication down, and would be a huge help over what we have now, which is basically nothing from the factory. I have thought about contacting Hillbank before on this, and will do so.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Chris,

The cost would not be much but the owner of the tech info has no interest in sharing the details.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I love Superformance cars but the lack of documentation and after-sale support are horrific. Chris, I've approached Lance in the past to up their game but to no avail.

Superformance could approach their business in one of two ways. The first would be to excel supporting their owners. That would make Superformance owners true disciples of the company and make these cars available to a much wider audience of people who either lack the technical expertise or don't have Superformance experts in their local market. In this approach, Superformance would sell many more cars.

A second approach, and unfortunately the one that Superformance has taken, is to limit access to technical knowledge and squeeze as much money as they can from a smaller group of owners. I've experienced their pricing structure on replacement parts. I'm lucky enough to have some options on many parts living here in Charlotte (e.g., I currently need a new radiator and am having a local shop manufacture one for about half of the $1,950 that Superformance would charge), but there are some items (e.g., my new windshield several years ago) that you can only buy from Lance.

Thankfully there are a lot of great people on this forum, although finding information specific to SPF has become more challenging since the SPF section was taken down.

Dave,

Agree completely. In my experience, replacement parts come with rediculous markups, and frequently long wait times. Is it too much to keep at least one of everything in stock?

Dave,

Agree completely. In my experience, replacement parts come with rediculous markups, and frequently long wait times. Is it too much to keep at least one of everything in stock?

Something I have done is set up a separate folder on my computer in which I collect any information on parts for the car I come across on this forum or research myself. A good example is David Hood's radiator. In other words, you can pay $1950 from Superformance or XYZ shop in Charlotte can make one for half. What I would do is simply put the post into a pdf and load it into the folder for possible future reference. Could some Superformance only parts section be set up on the Forum for this purpose?

Also, my father was in the Navy and we were stationed in England for a number of years and I really liked the English "cottage industry" cars like Marcos and Lotus (the old Lotus), that were largely built from parts from Ford, others. Books were available which cross-referenced the parts (e.g., a tail light for the Lotus whatever was Ford Cortina part no. XYZ). I suspect a number of Superformance parts might come from other more basic cars, as well. It would be great if something like this could be put together or is already out there.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Neil

Supporter
Chris, The parts cross-reference situation wasn't confined to Marcos & Lotus. Early Ferraris also had a number of parts that were sourced from other production cars. Door handles and lights from Fiats & Alfas, disk brakes from Jaguar (Dunlop), etc. The brake booster was similar to a Bendix Hydrovac on a Studebaker, and the overdrive was similar to the ones in an Austin-Healy.

Chris, The parts cross-reference situation wasn't confined to Marcos & Lotus. Early Ferraris also had a number of parts that were sourced from other production cars. Door handles and lights from Fiats & Alfas, disk brakes from Jaguar (Dunlop), etc. The brake booster was similar to a Bendix Hydrovac on a Studebaker, and the overdrive was similar to the ones in an Austin-Healy.

Thanks for info! I hadn't realized that certain non-Cottage Industry manufacturers had such parts cross-reference books. We were in England from 1967-1969 and I was in the 7th and 8th grades (went to a school for American military kids ). Such a great time! Awhile back, I was tightening the spinners on the GT40 MKII and there was a very slight drizzle in the air and on the car and me, and it was a deja vu experience and this time with my own "Cottage Industry" car!

/s/ Chris

Neil

Supporter
Chris, I was in Germany 1954-1957 and graduated from Frankfurt High School. We used to play Bushy Park in the European high school basketball tournament. We had better looking cheerleaders. :)

Chris, I was in Germany 1954-1957 and graduated from Frankfurt High School. We used to play Bushy Park in the European high school basketball tournament. We had better looking cheerleaders. :)

That was MY school----Bushy Heath, or "Bushy"----an old ex-estate RAF base. Great school.

/s/ C

I would say just start a new thread if you have a broken or damaged part on a Superformance.
I am sure someone here will know what part it is that your looking for.
I suspect that Superformance have parts sourcing issues and supply chain delays just like every other manufacturer these days.
making one car might be easy, designing and producing something where you need a reliable supply of parts going forward in the medium to long term could be much more difficult. Eg things like steering racks. Can very well get original parts at a reliable rate and price these days, and designing around another car is only going to be good for maybe 5 years whilst that part is in production. After that you are back to square one.

Back