Hydraulic Release Bearing Problem

Tim Terry

Supporter
Update: Removed the transaxle and release bearing. The seals looked ok, but I rebuilt the bearing with a QM seal kit - 5 mins work.

Reinstalled bearing and transaxle. Bled bearing - no issues or leaks. Adjusted clutch pedal stop longer by several revs, then tested for clutch engagement (while adjusting shifter linkage). No issues and I believe we will have prevented that from happening again.

Tim
 

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I don't have one of the finished piece but here is one as I was mocking up with cardboard.

 

Attachments

Tim Terry

Supporter
Mike,
I wish I could have envisioned that. If/when I have the transaxle out again, I'll do something similar. Thanks for sharing!
 

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Did you use the Quicktime bellhousing and McLeod clutch/PP? I noticed you used several of the spacers behind the T/O bearing. I got several from Dennis thinking I might need some adjustment. I ended up not needing any of them. Wondering how there would be so much difference.
 

Tim Terry

Supporter
Yes, I used the Quicktime housing and the McLeod clutch/PP. I followed the installation instructions carefully, measuring multiple times and using multiple people. We ended up using 5 spacers, I believe. A few trips around the block and a round-trip (25 miles) to get the car weighed. No leaks and no issues.
 

Tim Terry

Supporter
The entire setup came from Olthoff (Quaife transaxle, bellhousing, clutch/PP, upgraded shift linkage). I can locate the paperwork, if needed.
 

Steve

Supporter
Resurrecting this old post. Similar to Tim, I had to use quite a few spacers although my transaxle is an RBT. There was a bit of "rocking" back and forth which I didn't like to see, especially considering the precise nature of the settings. Has anyone had experience with the external slaves? Paul Whitlock has been using one sourced from a Pantera shop. Wondering if there's a con to using this. It would avoid ever having to take all this apart again. It's quite a chore when you have a dry sump with lots of bits attached to the rear subframe...
 

Steve Julius

GT40s Supporter
My CAV GT40 ZF was converted to external slave by the PO. He got tired of leaky internal ones. Conversion kit was provided by Pantera Performance in Castle Rock, Colorado. Price was a little over $1,000 back in 2013. I have owned the car for about a year and a half, and have had no problems with the conversion.
 

DaveM

Supporter
After two McLeod internal slaves failed I went to a CNC external slave one. You also have to get the RBT external arm kit part #1001 though. 8 years now with no problems.
 
Last edited:
Top