I drove the Superformance GT40MKII

On hearing last Wednesday that three dealer demo Superformance GT40 MKII's were going to be at the Historic races at Road Atlanta this weekend, I jumped the first plane South. I spent two days at the track during which I had the pleasure to meet Lance Stander, owner of Superformance, and his wife Debra. Very nice people. In attendance were dealers Dennis Olthoff with his red car, Rob McMichael (yellow) and Doug Reed (blue). Doug invited me along as passenger on his maiden voyage in the blue car, as he shot down Highway 53 to the fuel station. I had a similar ride in the yellow McMichael car. Meanwhile the red Olthoff car was being fitted with all manner of inside and outside video cameras for a road test by the crew from Dream Car Garage. On day two Doug Reed and I took a morning ride in which he let me drive the 40 over the back roads north of the track. Amazing. We then did several touring laps of Road Atlanta, with the Standers and I shadowing the 40's in Lance's rental Mustang. Fun stuff. Bottom line? I'm sold. My only hesitation now is the engine. I was thinking 302, but all these cars had the Roush 351 strokers, and they were very impressive. Gotta run, but I knew a couple of you out there would be interested. More later.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Daryl.....I drove the red one ( Dennis' car) early this month @ Olthoff's in NC....Have had car on order since last May Ho long has yours been ordered?)....Engine on order w/ Keith( mine w/b a Pond Al 427 side oiler /built w/ the best but will max out @ 500TQ per RBT ZF recommendation))....Expect to be driving late summer. Steve ( 6yr original owner of SPF Cobra # 758 with 20,000 great miles).....exect to use the GT similar to use of my Porsche and the SPF Cobra; as a touring car not, a trailer queen.

Steve.. I put my order in last April, but it's for a MKI. That's the snag, as production hasn't started on the MKI's as yet. Were you as impressed as I was with the AC system? On high it nearly froze me out! And the way they integrated the AC controls inside the driver's door...very sweet.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Daryl....When I drove Dennis" red car it was early April in NC and didn"t need the AC, nor did Dennis have it connected then anyway but, am glad it works well( I put AC in my SPF Cobra and it works well too; with the hardtop we use it as a go anywhere, do anything car for 3 seasons)......The GT40 has lots of changes for the good as compared to the Carlisle car...one of them the hidden AC ctrls in the door, hinged front compartment (as original for MK11), crossover for fuel tanks, swirl tank, door pull-in dogs, roof/door receivers and the list goes on ...Also a number of further improvements than those already in the dealer cars you drove are planned....I like the MK11 and wanted a carbed Fe to match (Le Mans bowls, turkey pan and all) but, if I was doing the MK1 like you I would go with a stroked Windsor w/ 8 stack....Steve

Back