I have changed my status....

Clutch Slave Gone? Had the opportunity to be towed home three weeks ago after the clutch went on vacation. The car was performing great until I stopped for gas and had a hard time getting it into reverse, then within seven gear changes it was gone, pedal went right to the floor.

Took me some time to tear into it but I looked all around the car and no leaks and the clutch reservoir was still half full. I tried to bleed the system a few times to check for leaks and while I got some air out and the clutch pedal would stiffen up after pumping the pedel, it would soon go back limp. At this point it would appear the slave cylinder crapped out, would you agree?

Will call for parts on Monday, just checking to see if anyone might think it was something else.

On a different note, those reservoirs are less than desirable, I might take this opportunity to do what Steve C did and redo the system.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Kevin,

Thanks for the kudo on my reservoir upgrade (worth it. no leaks or weeps since the retro).

For your clutch:

I went for an external slave. If you have an internal I would change.
IMHO.

Regards, Steve

I agree with Steve. Go for an external slave. I rebuilt my McLeod internal slave, it failed again. Sent it to McLeod for a rebuild, it failed for 3rd time. Very pleased with the external. While you're at it move the reservoirs to the front compartment for accessibility and change the clutch master to 5/8" for softer pedal.

Forgot to mention it was the master that failed on the car. Replaced it a few months ago and things are working great. Now, the snow in Chicago is allowing more time to tweak the car. A couple of pictures so far:

1) Closed cell foam behind the rear wheels to reduce the rocks being caught in the rear clam shell (installed by Kevin)
2) Fender liners (installed by Olthoff back March of last year)
3) Rivet Nuts installed in windows and in headlight access covers in front wheel wells (installed by Kevin)
4) Headlight upgrade (installed by Kevin)

More to come

Attachments

• IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1659.jpg
    IMG_1659.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 301
I should have mentioned that the closed cell foam being the rear wheels was a mess... I pulled that off. It trapped rocks and did exactly the opposite of what I wanted. I pulled it off and am reevaluating what the right option is.

Epilogue: The GT40 is now sold to a nice gentleman and it should be on its way to the new home soon. I really enjoyed owning the car and will find myself in another SPF at some point once I have more time and more space for the car.

Take care

Of course I will let the new owner announce his presence should he choose to do so (he is a forum member), but I can say that I look forward to seeing your blue GT40 hitting the back roads around Ann Arbor along with mine. The only thing better than cruising in a GT40 is looking at another GT40 while cruising in a GT40 :) . Your car simply could not be in better hands. The new owner will car for it as well as anyone could care for a car.

Wishing you the best with whatever comes next!

- Jeff

Back