Identifying an engine...

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
I have a chance to pick up a 90s 5.0 possibly an H.O. complete and running. It's already out of the car. Don't know what as of yet. What are the things I can look for to help identify what I'm looking at. The price isn't an issue, I would just like to know what's up before hauling it away. Thanks,

Pete

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I think 1987 was the first year for EFI which was speed density. I believe they went to mass air in 1993. The presence of a mass air meter on the inlet tube should be a clue. 1995 up should have a 45 degree throttle body adapter no the intake. HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
Non-HO is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,
I agree with all Neals accept one and with one adder.

My recolection is the EFI started in 1986 5.0s (with exception to early 1986 models which could still be carb). Also, I believe the roller cam set ups started in the 1985 5.0 carbed HO motors.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
Non-HO is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

Just curious, Neal, why the different firing order? Different cam?????

I'm asking b/c I now have two complete SBF 302/transmission assemblies sitting on the garage floor. One will be sold to finance the rebuild for the other 302, and neither of them is an H.O., so should I be shopping for just a generic 302 cam or would I need to specify a non-H.O. cam when I build the motor?

Also, one of the motors is from an 85 T-Bird and the other is from a 90 Crown Vic. Were the roller motors only the H.O. motors or would the 90 Crown Vic motor possibly be a roller motor? They are both closed up tight as a drum right now, so I've not seen inside the lifter valley yet.

Thanks!

Doug

Back