Import Duty to UK

Hi all,

I thought it might be useful to post the figures for duty, when importing to the UK.

I use a guy called Patrick from Southern Cross (0208 7515844) he know his stuff and I am happy to recommend his services.

Most items imported have their own code, but the worst case is as follows:

Car Bodies (or parts thereof) 4.5%

Engine complete or parts (below 2800cc) 3.0%

Engine complete or parts (above 2800cc) 4.5%

If you are importing from South Africa, the duty on the car bodies remains the same, but you will pay roughly half the above figures for engine parts.

Interestingly enough, if you were to bring a completed rolling chassis less engine and box (turnkey minus) into the country you would pay 10% duty.

On top of this, dont forget you have the shipping costs and then 17.5% VAT on the total figure, ie cost of the item + shipping costs + duty +17.5% on the sum of these three.

So it seems to make sense to go the kit route, as not only are you not paying for the factory to assemble the item, but the duty is les also.

If I have missed anything, or someone knows a way round this, please let me know.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick,
When I spoke to C&E about 18 months ago the duty got broken down as:

Cam/Cranks: 4%
Engine (other): 2.7%
Ignition: 3.2%

You are correct in the adding of the total. However, please remember to reference the C&E exchange rates, as these are not the same as publically quoted rates... they always find a way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Brett

Hi Brett,

I have to work out the duty for importing the RF. I wonder if you import a complete rolling chassis in parts, whether it is necessary to go through each individual item in the box apportioning duty where applicable, or if a broad brush approach would be acceptable.

Any ideas?

Rick

Rick,
The best thing to do is phone HMC&E direct. You are allowed to query up to 3 items free of charge (but they might have changed it). Try calling Tel: 01702 366077 and hit option 1 to classify the goods, and then 0845 010 9000 to get the duty rates.

Brett

Thanks for your help Brett.

They know how to shaft you don't they? That exchange rate difference is not reasonable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Rick

Back