Installing Panels

The top section is basically 2 bits of 50mm angle with a handle. Again the 2 pieces are held together by bolts. The heads of the bolts have been ground to reduce their thibkness. Otherwise they hit the lower jaws before the bend gets to 90 degrees. The handle can be a lot shorter. You will notice the handle is tied to the rafter above it. This is part of the setup when useing the thing on your own.
fdbd128d.jpg

The next image shows the way the 2 jaws relate to each other. The material used is all 3mm thick. It really should be thicker. When making a long bend the jaws tend to wind up and bend more at the ends than the middle. The heavier it is the better it would be.
fdbd128a.jpg
fdbd1289.jpg

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hey John, what a fantastic device ! However, you forgot to mention the critical component pictured in the background - VB lubricant !!).

For the international fraternity - VB is one of the most popular beers here in Oz !

Peter D.
smile.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
VB = Victoria Bitter ("For A Hard Earned Thirst") - you can just make it out on the green carton on the bench.

Peter D.
smile.gif

John,
That is great, couldn't believe how simple it is
shocked.gif
It is the simple things in life that are the greatest. Just looking at it has given me ideas on making it a little better. If I understand what you have said, your long pieces tend to flex when the sheet is bent. It would seem that if you "brace" the back plate with a three point triangulated "A", attached at the ends and middle
confused.gif
it would take out the flex.( wish I could draw on this thing ).
At any rate its an idea.
thanks again for the pics
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Bill

Thanks Guys

Peter - you right about the VB Carton. I have developed a few hard earned thirsts over this little project.

Bill hopefully, this has been some benefit. Simple is good because for me simple just may be possible to make. Your idea for a brace sound like it would help. There is extra bracing on the back of the lower jaws on mine. This was added and did help quite a bit. Any more bracing would also help. On mine the top jaws flex more than the bottom so anything you can think of there would be a benefit for long bends.

Good luck

John

Jay,

I have built a GTD over the last few years. Fitting the panels was certainly not the hardest job and I did it twice! Mine came pre-cut and pre-folded although they didn't fit perfectly so there was a process referred euphemistically as 'dressing', which meant filing and occasionally re-bending them to fit neatly. I would consider either getting flat sections and a folder or making your own from scratch - but then other sources may fit better to start with.

After having fitted them the first time (including sikaflexing - rubber sealing compound) I didn't like the look of the polished ally especially contrasted against the black rubber piping supplied, so I took them off (very difficult), cleaned them up, and had them powder coated in semi-matt black. This also makes them much more original looking and has withstood a few months (1,000 miles) of road use. Its a plastic paint and very resilient.

If you use 'pop' rivets you have to be sure they are blind sealing types to avoid rather a lot of leaks into the cabin and chassis rails. I have so far preferred to use black screws but if I can locate some black anodised suitable rivets I'll change them.

In conclusion if you have basic home DIY skills you should not fear fitting these panels, its time consuming but not that difficult. Good luck.

David C

Back