Installing Shaft Mount Rocker Arms?

Anything special to be done when installing these (outside of setting lash)? Lube them up with assembly lube?

Thanks

Kevin,

My engine builder has had to do some machine work on both my Viper heads and the LS7 heads, measure pushrod lengths and check geometry for both engines, probably among other tweaks. The Jesels require more machine work on the LS7.

Kevin , you dont actually mention whether its Jesels, shaft system or not..

If it is they require a bit of setup time initially as Doc pointed out for geometry & pushrod length.. Use an adjustable pushrod to find the installed height @ the optimum lash adjustment screw setting first while checking for valve stem contact pattern, then order your pushrods for 'that' length. If you dont do this you may find that you dont have enough range in the adjustment screw/and or a stem contact pattern that causes guide wear.

It is a Jesel and we got it mocked up today. Hopefully the pushrods will be ordered Monday and in the mail Wed, we shall see. Unfortunately it always seems to be one step forward and one step back... now the valve covers do not clear the rocker arm system. On to buy new valve covers and potentially sell my Gurney Westlake replica covers (anyone want to buy a nice almost new set?).

Any experience with valve covers that clear a Jesel Shaft mount system for Trickflow Inline street/strip heads?

A couple of other notes:
- Use high pressure lube on the ball sockets of the rocker arms, this will protect the assembly during first start up
- Coat the rocker arm studs with silicon to seal the four holes that extend through the head, stops the oil from being sucked down past the threads
- Use high pressure lube as a sort of adhesive to hold shims in place during assembly
- Remember to take whatever time you think a job will take (e.g. 2 hours); double it and then add 50%

Almost there... I think I am going to buy snow tires for the car, at least then I can drive it more than 200 miles in the first 2 months of ownership :)

Kevin

I "had" to purchase some carbon fiber valve covers to clear my Jesels on the LS7. Expensive but sure "purdy". Not sure about Ford applications though.

Kevin
I would be interested in your valve covers if you would consider sending them to New Zealand. Could you post a photo and PM me a price
Much appreciated
Woody

Kevin
I would be interested in your valve covers if you would consider sending them to New Zealand. Could you post a photo and PM me a price
Much appreciated
Woody

Will let you know what the outcome is. They are in the mill this week taking off a little excess casting, hoping they can be adjusted to fit. Getting close and we just got 6 inches of snow... at least I have six months to finish up :)

Back