Intake adaptor measurements 302W - 351W

Kevin Box

Supporter
As part of changing stream half way through my build I now have a problem with my intake manifold.

Iniitially i was going to build a 347 but have since decided to go to utilize the long rod 351W which is sitting under my bench.

I had sorted out my intake for the 347 and was planning to use a modified Hilbourne intake with EFI type injectors in it.

Now that I have changed direction, I have to do something about an intake and my first thought is to mill up a couple of adaptor plates to allow me to use my existing manifold on the 351W
I am sure someone has done this before and will have the necessary measurements that would be a good place to start.

The other option is if some has modelled the Ford blocks in AutoCad or SolidWorks and may have enough info to derive the measurements.

I have included a picture of my manifold

regards and thanks

Kevin B

Attachments

• DSC00131.jpg
    DSC00131.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 749
0.625" per side if IRRC plus 0.900" for the valley spacers, or you can split/remove the valley plate and dowel each manifold 1/2 to each cyl head with a seperate fabricated valley plate in your case.

Just slip a couple of 5/8" spacers in each side to verify if Im on the money memory wise..

There is a yank outfit that makes all this stuff now, but the name escapes me @ moment, its buried in one of Dean Lampes threads somewhere, but hey, your an x-Kiwi:)....

Kevin Box

Supporter
Thanks JacMac

Price motorsport make them
I figured with bit of time I could dream something up
Prefernce is not to cut my manifold if possible.
If I have to, I think I would machine it to be like the Kinsler 3 piece manifold.

The only reason i would have to is if height gets really tight even with shorter RAMs
The ones on it are ex jetboat

Thanks

Kevin B

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've got this kit if you need any measurements, but the previously mentioned numbers appear to be pretty close from my memory. The only issue I can think of is the gap at the front/back of the manifold.

I can't use my kit (I never used it because I went to the 351W with a new intake instead of using the 302 intake), so it's "available".

Could one, would one, cut the intake down the middle on the base plate and simply weld in a strip of aluminum (unless the intake is magnesium) to widen it?

Terry

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have the spacers needed and the extension to the distributor & MSD Distributor.. Let me know if you're interested..

Kevin Box

Supporter
Terry

What you say is very possible but with the Hilbourne manaifold poses some horrible risks.
These are mainly related to the heat stress and its effect on the manifold.
These manifolds are somewhat difficult to setup as the butterfly shafts jam with the slightest mistake in setting up.
On the last engine this manifold was used on I did away with the Felpro teflon gaskets and make some annealed aluminium spacers to take up the same space as the gasket and then used high temp silicon to seal it. Prior to that I had a lot of dificulties getting the manifold to pull down evenly without jamming the butterfly shafts. Kinsler break each side of the manifold into two shafts which alleviates some of the problems and I will do that this time. but i guess you understand what I am saying.
On of the other advantages of a spacer is it will let me play around with different inject angle as I am not totally happy with the current setup. I think there will be enough metal in the spacer to place injectors.

regards
Kevin B

Kevin Box

Supporter
Terry , Randy

For the moment I will try to machine up my own spacers but will keep your spacers in the back of my mind.
If you could accurately measure the thickness of the side spacers and the depth of the valley plate, I would be most appreciative. Some good pictures would be helpful also.
I am pretty sure JacMac is about right but confirmation would be good.

Thanks in anticipation

Kevin B

No I was wrong, gotta stop doing calc in my head!! Attached dwg should help you out...........

Last edited:

Kevin Box

Supporter
JacMac that is one hell of a plate and 1.83 inchecs higher means stack length will be too short so I think I will look at setting the manifold up in the mill and modifying to look like a Kinsler 3 piece - see pic.

Wow this is going to take a bit of getting my head around !!!

Only other option is to sell it and start again with 351W intake.

regards KB

Attachments

• Kinsler.JPG
    Kinsler.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If he doesn't still have his, I have one along with the distributor extension.

Back