Intake Manifold Bypass

Hi All,
Canton Racing sells a billet piece, (p/n 80-116) to plumb these lines BEFORE the thermostat so the bleed / steam pocket issue is no issue.
It is for the SBC, but one could easily be fabbed for the SBF, if they are in fact different sizes, I don't know. I used one on my car and had to machine a groove for the actual thermostat to sit in, plus it even comes with a 3/8 NPT fitting bung.
Regards,
Scott

Last edited:
Scott,

The chevy thermostat position being higher and horizontal allows that system to work, however in the Ford application the thermostat housing is positioned lower in the manifold front vertical face and the bleed lines themselves would act as an air trap if fitted in the same manner as the canton kit. Fitting the system as made by Canton in a mid engine setup runs the risk of pushing the air locks forward into the radiator top tank where they only create more problems. Better to purge them direct to the header tank.

Jac Mac

Jac,
All due respect, but I beg to differ. As long as the gas pockets have a way to return back to a tank/reservoir/radiator tanks, the gasses will be purged regardless of what level they may be at. Because of coolant pump flow. Under ideal conditions, the best setup would be to have a tank that continuously flows coolant through a by-pass from the coolant pump, continuously purging the built up gasses from the system, ideally this would have a pressure cap also, for topping up the required coolant.
Regards,
Scott

Back