Interest to read experience in fitting auto box to GT40

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Frank
Only person I heard of was Simon Winters and he had an automatic UN1. Not sure he has it running but probably worth a call

Ian

I have the same questions. I talked to Fran at RCR a few years ago about putting the new Corvette DCT into his GT40s. He said that it was too long to fit properly. I need to ask him about the new R8/Lambo 7-speed DCT. It looks smaller and there are adapters for LS engines. We just need to know if it fits and who makes a transmission controller.

When I built my 40 back in the late 80`s early 90`s I didn`t need or want one but time and health problems mean I do now so I`m interested in this subject. To complicate things many might know that I inverted my transaxle from day one but of course I can`t do that with an auto so easily. I used a UN box originally too. I`ll keep reading about this one.

Must be someone who has done it !
With all my research for the T44 I have had the two auto versions in the back of my mind. Flipping a 2 spd powerglide id fairly simple and running it sans converter is/was often done with the speedway guys, just bit of outside the box thinging reqd in regard to oil flow. Probably plenty of un spoken demand out there as we all get older as well.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
With all my research for the T44 I have had the two auto versions in the back of my mind. Flipping a 2 spd powerglide id fairly simple and running it sans converter is/was often done with the speedway guys, just bit of outside the box thinging reqd in regard to oil flow. Probably plenty of un spoken demand out there as we all get older as well.
Are you thinking - Corvair Automatic Transaxle?

Are you thinking - Corvair Automatic Transaxle?
No, similar but clean sheet of paper, utilise recent R&P like Ford 8.8'', wasnt thinking before, auto trans does NOT need to be flipped and as the helical gear forces are all dealt with in the trans shafts etc, possibly easier to build than the manual. After all Graeme Beck picked my brain & built his TA from steel, couldnt wait for me!

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
You could also make an automatic Audi A8 FWD box fit with few mods to most in the enginebay. Then make up a controlbox for it and have pushbutton gears.

Morten

I should have added that my engine is set at the same height as the original 40s and I kept the driveshaft angles similar too and not as extreme as some cars I`ve seen, That is why fitting an auto box would make it difficult to achieve similar results.

Back